Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #151
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I have a question. How are you planning to run the CB midmount radiator set up and keep the AC condenser in place?

PS. Don't let people scare you about putting AC on a LSx swapped 240, it happens all the time. trust me
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #152
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I love when a putz with 30 posts forgets to wear his boots when he goes out in the mud

always liked Broadfield's car, and he does neato little howto type things when he does dash stuff...

Its not my cup of tea - but i like it My cup of tea usually ends up spilling on my leg because i use the ashtray hole for a cupholder. In a stiff low car....

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #153
Z_Spool
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Z_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura aboutZ_Spool has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly240 View Post
Its not my cup of tea - but i like it My cup of tea usually ends up spilling on my leg because i use the ashtray hole for a cupholder. In a stiff low car....
That's why you don't bring drinks/foods/cigs/whatever in the car with you. It's disrespectful.

Looking forward to the progress Toby. Said it before, and I'll say it again, I love your car. Hope my car will be up to making a trek to see it in person... Having another BBQ this year I presume?
Z_Spool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #154
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Jenga!

If testicular fortitude could be measured in soundwaves, first place would go to a blown V8. The sound makes cows lactate.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #155
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Lol. Best post I've seen in a while
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #156
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Kyle every post of yours is the best one I've seen in a while.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #157
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
That is definitely almost a sig worthy quote.
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #158
Crazyirish

Trader Rating: (0)
Crazyirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bllabong89 View Post
lol. Is that a chic or a dude on the right?? Yea man...Rock on!!!
Look closer. They are both quite well known performers.
Crazyirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #159
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
man i loved this car in modified...plus all the sick work you do in general. I'll definitly need to send you some stuff to do on my car hah good luck witht he car man!
Imarvin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #160
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
yes, aero and v8 finally! well maybe not v8 but should still be sick.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #161
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenooblet View Post
Who is going to do your wiring? Or are you going to do it yourself?
I will be doing it myself of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Mostly just these guys:
Awesome! That's the smartest thing you have said all year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
I have a question. How are you planning to run the CB midmount radiator set up and keep the AC condenser in place?

PS. Don't let people scare you about putting AC on a LSx swapped 240, it happens all the time. trust me
I have no idea if I'm doing that radiator... I was just throwing the idea out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Spool View Post
That's why you don't bring drinks/foods/cigs/whatever in the car with you. It's disrespectful.

Looking forward to the progress Toby. Said it before, and I'll say it again, I love your car. Hope my car will be up to making a trek to see it in person... Having another BBQ this year I presume?
Yes, I will most likely have a BBQ next summer. The turnouts are always bad though. Guys from Chicago are always worried their cars won't make it that far... a whole 2 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Jenga!

If testicular fortitude could be measured in soundwaves, first place would go to a blown V8. The sound makes cows lactate.
While a blown LS3 is out of the question for now, there always has to be major mods for me to do every winter

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #162
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5upra View Post
Unless you are getting some sort of deal on the crate motor, then your going to over pay for what you could have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I'm still surprised you want the crate engine route, especiallly considering how cheap you can build a junkyard 6.0 to your specs. In the same respect I can appreciate the 'crate warranty' but I'd sooner get a junkyard 6.0, throw a cam/valvetrain/heads on it, and go from there. I'm sure the 6500 cost could easily be 'beat' but (again as before) I can appreciate the 'done now/install tomorrow' aspect.
I'm with these gents. I've helped many customers make their V8 dreams come true, from the budget guy to the brand new, forged 402ci LS2 guy who then decides to throw 10psi from a Vortec T-trim at it. While I disagree with Cody on the 6.0 being the ideal N/A motor choice (weighs 80lbs more than alum block LS1/2/3/etc), I have had this discussion approx 1x10^10 times.

Crate motors are a lose/lose to me, and anyone else who does this for a living - you're paying "built motor" prices but getting an OEM engine. Zero miles with forged internals and balanced/blueprinted by hand, and built specifically for your needs, or zero miles with cast internals, not balanced, not blueprinted, never been looked at by an engine builder? Then you STILL have to buy accessories separately?!?

Unless you're going LS7 or LS9 (which are hand built, and still a total rip off except for the namesake), I'd say crate motors are for suckers. If you need some pointers on what stuff costs and where to go, I'd be more than happy to give you some food for thought via email/PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenooblet View Post
Who is going to do your wiring? Or are you going to do it yourself?
That's a good question (I did nooblet's), I assume you're doing it all yourself? Were you going to buy a new aftermarket harness, make one, or buy an OEM harness to modify?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #163
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
While I disagree with Cody on the 6.0 being the ideal N/A motor choice (weighs 80lbs more than alum block LS1/2/3/etc), I have had this discussion approx 1x10^10 times.

LS2 is a 6.0 and aluminum, and I believe that is what Codyace was referring to.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #164
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
more progress!......less clutter!....lol
Old 12-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #165
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Heheh yup, I need to make sure I say 'non truck' hehe.

BUt Jeff makes a great point, the LS3 (a motor I often neglect to consider as you don't see them as often at yards around here) is really the badass base setup.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #166
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post

Yes, I will most likely have a BBQ next summer. The turnouts are always bad though. Guys from Chicago are always worried their cars won't make it that far... a whole 2 hours
I would have made it out if I hadn't crashed my car.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #167
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Backintoans13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
From the posts that ive read from Broadfield it dont seem like he races his cars so theres not need to worry bout having forged internals. Plus he dont have to worry bout taking it to the maching shop and waiting for ever depending on the machinist for his shit to be done, he gets the crate motor and drops it in....done deal
Backintoans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #168
tukn9s
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
tukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymoretukn9s is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
At least your brake kit was complete, mine was missing shit left and right, and they still have yet to send me the right stuff.
tukn9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #169
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Subscribed.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #170
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Whenever people say 6.0 instead of LS2, I always think they're talking about the much more affordable LQ4 or LQ9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Heheh yup, I need to make sure I say 'non truck' hehe.

BUt Jeff makes a great point, the LS3 (a motor I often neglect to consider as you don't see them as often at yards around here) is really the badass base setup.
LS3's are great starting points ~ you can get the blocks for $1500 brand new.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #171
miro
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
miro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I realize you're just beginning on this and probably don't have the details nailed down yet. But have you given any thought to the engine harness and PCM you will be using? GM or stand-alone? If GM, are you going to keep the drive-by-wire system and install the drive-by-wire throttle pedal?

Let us know about your experience with Crate Engine Depot once you purchase the motor.
miro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #172
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

bloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to bloodangels13
Broadfield I assume your going with a GM performance parts engine managment and wiring kit? My old man and I used that for our LS2 swaped '69 firebird. I would suggest going that route considering the ease of install, all connectors labeled, no fuss with VATs (oem anti-theft) and the fact it has its own fuse box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
This post was brought to you by the number: Rum
And by the letter: Go Fuck Yourself
And also by viewers like you.
bloodangels13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #173
MyNISMO314
BANNED

MyNISMO314 is an unknown quantity at this point
why not just buy a camaro or whatever car comes with the LS3 and leave that beautiful 240 with that beautiful motor just the way it is...chevys are still being made and so are the LS motors 240s are not nor are SR20 motors, i think you should keep that car the way it is or just get a diff shell for the ls3
MyNISMO314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #174
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNISMO314 View Post
why not just buy a camaro or whatever car comes with the LS3 and leave that beautiful 240 with that beautiful motor just the way it is...chevys are still being made and so are the LS motors 240s are not nor are SR20 motors, i think you should keep that car the way it is or just get a diff shell for the ls3
LS3's come in 2010+ Camaros and 2008+ Corvette's ~ I've driven stock and race Camaro/Corvette/S13 and neither drives anything like a S-chassis.

... and then there's the $30k you'll need, instead of $10k for a swap into an already-nice car.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #175
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintoans13 View Post
From the posts that ive read from Broadfield it dont seem like he races his cars so theres not need to worry bout having forged internals. Plus he dont have to worry bout taking it to the maching shop and waiting for ever depending on the machinist for his shit to be done, he gets the crate motor and drops it in....done deal
Correct, I don't want a lot of down time. That's why I'm leaning towards the crate motor. I don't "need" forged anything and the 500whp I can get from the LS3 with nothing much more than a cam, headers and a tune will be sufficient to me. I haven't really had a chance to research building one from a bare block like GSXRJJordan recommended, but I would imagine it would actually be more considering I would want to go a little more "all out" if I'm going to take the time to build it... $2500 heads and all of the other stuff adds up real quick. But I'm starting to research it now to make sure I don't regret it later.

Keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm doing. Just like my SR and the rest of my S13, I learn as I go. My profession is high-end car audio. I also do some custom interior pieces for cars beyond audio... like my clusters etc. But otherwise I just build cars because it's my passion and my hobby. I'm no expert at building cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
I realize you're just beginning on this and probably don't have the details nailed down yet. But have you given any thought to the engine harness and PCM you will be using? GM or stand-alone? If GM, are you going to keep the drive-by-wire system and install the drive-by-wire throttle pedal?

Let us know about your experience with Crate Engine Depot once you purchase the motor.
Yes, I plan to use to the GM engine controller and probably EFI Live. We have arguably the baddest EFI tuner in the country less than 2 hours north of me. Which then of course I will use the DBW throttle/pedal. If I end up going with the crate motor from Crate Engine Depot, you can bet your ass I'll post about the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodangels13 View Post
Broadfield I assume your going with a GM performance parts engine managment and wiring kit? My old man and I used that for our LS2 swaped '69 firebird. I would suggest going that route considering the ease of install, all connectors labeled, no fuss with VATs (oem anti-theft) and the fact it has its own fuse box.
Possibly yes, or just do my own from a OEM harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNISMO314 View Post
What could possibly be the fun in that!?!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #176
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Funny because my girlfriend recently brought up something similar. "Instead of spending a ridiculous amount building up your 240, why not buy a brand new 370z instead?"

Here's why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
What could possibly be the fun in that!?!
While the 370z may be a much (MUCH) better platform, I like my 240.

Good luck with the LS swap man.

If I wasn't sticking to my KA, I would've hopped on your S15 SR swap in a heart beat.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #177
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
If I wasn't sticking to my KA, I would've hopped on your S15 SR swap in a heart beat.
Damn you, what if I sell it to you for $10k?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #178
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Z28ricer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My suggestion, skip the crate motor and get a used pullout, the mileage on them is going to be plenty low, piecing all that stuff together for the crate motor is extra headache.

As far as the harness goes, there are universal harnesses on ebay, that make a great choice for one to modify, as the oem harnesses often come off the engine and an un-desireable corner, or just plain dont have enough length from the engine to the pcm connectors, the universal ones on ebay come off the rh rear of the engine, and have enough length to route stock style along the firewall and through into the dash, leaving only minimal changes needed to make a "as close to oem as possible" s-chassis LSx swap harness.
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #179
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28ricer View Post
My suggestion, skip the crate motor and get a used pullout, the mileage on them is going to be plenty low, piecing all that stuff together for the crate motor is extra headache.

As far as the harness goes, there are universal harnesses on ebay, that make a great choice for one to modify, as the oem harnesses often come off the engine and an un-desireable corner, or just plain dont have enough length from the engine to the pcm connectors, the universal ones on ebay come off the rh rear of the engine, and have enough length to route stock style along the firewall and through into the dash, leaving only minimal changes needed to make a "as close to oem as possible" s-chassis LSx swap harness.
Too bad used pull-outs are not common at all. LS1 sure, but not LS3's. Or they are selling the entire front clip of a C6... which I don't have the funds, space or time to dick with parting it all out.

As for the harness, I'll just make it whatever length I need... it's not that big of a deal. I have dealt with automotive wiring for a living for the last 18 years, so it's a walk in the park. I'll still look at this so called harness on Ebay though... just to see what it is you are talking about.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #180
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
With all this talk of buying a used engine, all I keep thinking about is how superbly clean your SR was. Therefore, it would stand to reason with your OCD nature, your new engine setup will also be done in the same it's-so-clean-you-can-eat-off-it way. Buy a crate engine and be ten steps ahead; they don't come cleaner than brand new.