Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-30-2016, 06:49 AM   #1
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGI Relay Getting 12V on Both Pins???

So going through my wiring and checking the relays, recently did a relay in the truck for better voltage for my fuel pump. Was hunting down a lean issue, 90% sure was just my throttle body cracked open a little too much and tune.

But now im double checking my z32 maf wiring and one wire is black/white. Decided to check the relay for that, notice im getting power on both of these pins? This is the egi or eccs relay next to the fuel pump one.

That shouldnt be right, I should only be getting from the right one only and the left b/w pin is getting voltage else where? I know the top left pin is black/red which is a ground from the ecu and top/bottom right side is a red wire which is power. I should only be getting one power the one side, it triggers the ground pin then switches to connect the bottom pins of red and b/w.

Any ideas? I doubt this is how the stock system works for this relay because the egi pump relay next to it only has power to the bottom right pin only and works fine once ignition is on and switches the 12v over to the left pin. They are basically the same relay systems.

R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
bumppppppp
Old 10-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

bumpppppppp
Old 10-31-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's normal for 2 pins on the relay socket to be 12v or battery voltage. If that's what you mean. They are tied together right under the box. In my fuel pump test I use to say jump pins 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 because of that. If in doubt, probe other sockets or check under the relay box.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Oh and that's crazy how you came to this conclusion just saying[emoji16]

Old 10-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

When I probe my other fuel pump relay and not the eccs one I only have power to the right side of the relay only. I know what you mean with the jumper relay because when I bought the car the last owner jumped the fuel pump relay across from bottom left to top right which makes perfect sense since top right is 12v and bottom left is I guess a "dead" wire which has no voltage to the fuel pump.

So thats what confused me. Why is my "dead" wire in the same spot as my fuel pump relay getting voltage without the relay in or even clicked?
Old 10-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
cotbu
Post Whore!

The dead wire should be the switched power, the low voltage is the trigger and the others are 12v. Oem koeo.
The only way the switched wire can get 12v or battery voltage is a short to a power source. Check under the relay socket to start also pull the fuel pump fuse to verify you lose power that way.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

I dont think you understand what im saying. Im getting voltage with the ignition on at these points.

This is the relay, same as the egi. Normal 4 pin switch. One is ground, other is trigger to the coil, then the other is a dead wire and the other live power wire.

This is the eccs (egi relay plug)

I am getting voltage at pins 1/5 which is correct because its 12v off the fuseable line and straight from the battery. They are red.

I am getting ground at pin 2 which is correct to trigger the relay with pin 1. Number 2 pin leads to ecu pinout #4 which a ground and red/black.

NOW this is my issue, im getting voltage at pin 3 which is black/white wire. Without the relay connected and female clip exposed in the relay box. The B/W goes straight to the ecu.

This makes no sense because it should be a dead wire and only get power to those wires/ecu once the relay is in and the power is switched on. From the pictures in the first post there is feedback going into those wires for it to get power without the relay on.

It should go like this in order like a normal relay in the fsm system.

Battery -> Fusible link (aka red power wire)->Eccs relay pin #1(red power wire) grounds to pin #2(red/black ecu ground wire)-> relay clicks to switch and connect pin# 5 (red power) to pin#3 (b/w power wire to ecu) -> everything is fine.

This is exactly how the fuel pump relay/ egi pump relay work. Just different wires off the ignition system then relay switches to power the fuel pump for 5 seconds and power the IACV system
Old 11-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
cotbu
Post Whore!

Maybe you don't see the wires teed together. There are only 4 pins on the eccs relay. 4pins 2 of which have 12v. If you have 12v on another pin without the relay connected ecu wire it's a short either wiring or ecu. The ecu should not deliver or see 12v ever it's a 5v system. If it's registering 12v on a line that goes to the ecu, fix or verify it's not the wiring and replace the ecu.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah I see them teed and makes sense like the diagram. Now im just curious as to where it could be getting voltage from that wire. Going to try swap ecus and see, if not the only other points for the b/w is the maf and CAS
Old 11-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
Tyler_240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Tyler_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
That relay gets grounded out by the ECCS circuit I believe after 5 seconds to kick the pump off... Then the EGI relay is energized with KEY ON ENGINE ON...I could be wrong...but I just went through that part of the car chasing my own gremlins.../scanned thread...
Old 11-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Welp still have the issue. I am stumped.... Swapped a different harness and still getting power to that pin on the relay. Tried another ecu and same story. Took off every sensor and fuse in the bay and still there.

Strange thing is with main engine harness connect f9/10 im getting voltage to my maf and dizzy which makes sense because its b/w like the pin but I also see im getting voltage on my maf black ground wire???? How in the fuck does that happen?

Looses voltage once I disconnect f8/9 so im suspecting something is feeding into the ecu and then feeding into the harness. Going to depin my old harness b/w on the ecu side and then the pin for the maf ground which is like 17.

If the issue is still there then some how a power wire is feeding into two different ecus causing some type of feedback.

Last edited by R3b; 11-14-2016 at 09:05 PM..
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #13
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Bumpppppppppppppppp
Old 11-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #14
cotbu
Post Whore!

use a multimeter, a test light will illuminate with any voltage.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #15
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

I have and used both to check, dont matter if a wire like a ground on my maf shouldnt be getting volts regardless.

I think my problem is ecu because everything wiring wise checks out. I jumped a wire off my + battery to the ecu ignition switch pin 36 on the ecu to give it power. Saw b/w pinouts 47/38 both are getting voltage and my maf ground pin 7 is also getting voltage. Exactly what im getting with both ecus plugged in and everything hooked up.

So looks to be something internally wrong thats letting the board get feedback from a 12v source.