Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #6061
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviellvoicae View Post
I don't seem to have enough lenght on the rod ends

I've researched this set up a lot and never seen this issue.
you must have searched every thread except the ENTIRETY of this one, lol.

you need longer tie rods. you can get these at any local parts store.

look back over the last few pages. there's lots of info in here about which inners and outers are longer than stock.

to get you off on the right foot: i have PBM forged knuckles and +56mm LCAs. i'm using A32 maxima inners and S14 outers. this combo would be plenty long enough for your +25mm LCAs.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #6062
stephens14sr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
stephens14sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i have pbm forged with PBM inners and SPL outers and have no issues. plenty of room.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #6063
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephens14sr View Post
i could be wrong, but i think the proknuckles are 25mm or so drop knuckles as well.
MAX forged front knuckles are 45mm roll center
The rears are 25mm, add the sub frame risers for an additional 10mm RC out back.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #6064
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So, to bring up a slightly older post... what's the difference between a "drop" knuckle and a corrected roll center knuckle?

Aren't you effectively doing the same thing by changing the distance between the spindle axis and the LCA ball joint?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #6065
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
It is doing the same thing, but a drop knuckle lowers the car at the hubs by moving the hub upwards in the knuckle. A roll center correcting knuckle just drops the lower control arm mount, ride height will stay the same.

Some use a combo.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #6066
sviellvoicae
Zilvia Member

sviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
you must have searched every thread except the ENTIRETY of this one, lol.

you need longer tie rods. you can get these at any local parts store.

look back over the last few pages. there's lots of info in here about which inners and outers are longer than stock.

to get you off on the right foot: i have PBM forged knuckles and +56mm LCAs. i'm using A32 maxima inners and S14 outers. this combo would be plenty long enough for your +25mm LCAs.
Thanks for your help. I was informed by and handful of people that the pbm inners were long enough for this. Why would they sell and recommend these with their lca's of they aren't long enough? Odd. Thanks
sviellvoicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #6067
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
Quote:
Thanks for your help. I was informed by and handful of people that the pbm inners were long enough for this. Why would they sell and recommend these with their lca's of they aren't long enough? Odd. Thanks
run the pbm inners, they seem to be the longest aftermarket with proper thread lengths and spacer built in.. then get 1990 maxima outer tie rods. these are the same as s14, but the maxima's are 5 inches long not the 3.5 est. that s14's are.

heres an updated pic.

left is an s13 outer (same legth as an s14) and on the right is the 1990 maxima

installed
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #6068
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Quote:
being frustrated or confused just comes with the territory of buying stuff from PBM. i have yet to buy something from them without scratching my head over how the hell they managed to do/omit/ignore/forget something, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black240Ct View Post
run the pbm inners, they seem to be the longest aftermarket with proper thread lengths and spacer built in.. then get 1990 maxima outer tie rods. these are the same as s14, but the maxima's are 5 inches long not the 3.5 est. that s14's are.

heres an updated pic.

left is an s13 outer (same legth as an s14) and on the right is the 1990 maxima
{img}
{img}
awesome info. my s14 outers on right on the border of being too short. this is a huge help, thanks!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #6069
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
Quote:
awesome info. my s14 outers on right on the border of being too short. this is a huge help, thanks!
np. i welded on an extra nut to the end of the outer just for good measure.
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #6070
Snatch'D Factory
Leaky Injector

Snatch'D Factory is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm kinda new to this, but I have a question. Is having your rear arms as flat as possible the best for traction during drift?
Old 12-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #6071
sviellvoicae
Zilvia Member

sviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enough
I am running pbm inners so looks like those outters will do the trick! Thanks again guys!
sviellvoicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #6072
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch'D Factory View Post
I'm kinda new to this, but I have a question. Is having your rear arms as flat as possible the best for traction during drift?

It is a LOT more complex than that. I'd recommend starting on the first page and doing a lot of reading. You'll get to see all my newb posts along the way .

Old 12-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #6073
Snatch'D Factory
Leaky Injector

Snatch'D Factory is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
It is a LOT more complex than that. I'd recommend starting on the first page and doing a lot of reading. You'll get to see all my newb posts along the way .
Okay, I will. Thanks dude.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #6074
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch'D Factory View Post
They are not parallel, but having lower arm parallel to the ground is pretty good as far as stock geometry goes
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #6075
hks4life
Zilvia Addict

hks4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
FYI: be careful using stock s13/s14/maxima/i30/etc inner tie rods with slip-on tie rod spacers.

there are enough engaging threads for the tie rod to hold on inside the rack during most situations

...but clip your tire on the lead guy's bumper during a tandem run, and it'll rip the threads right out

fortunately the threads inside the rack were fine, so it only took a short run to the parts store for a replacement tie rod (maxima in this case) and i was back out on track.

just saying. be careful. it's probably worth the money to invest in a better spacer style, such as PBM inner tie rods (with the spacer built into the joint, not taking up threads). or if you need longer tie rods than PBM, look into getting a combo of OEM inner tie rods (s14, z32, maxima, whatever suits your needs) with thread-in steering rack spacers (like those offered by GKTech).

i use a slip on spacer from ace hardware, copper one i think its like half the size of the ones out on the market not sure but ive hit couple people and yet to do this to my car, id suggest trying that and not using such a big one
hks4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #6076
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the tein inner and outer tie rods on my s13 and the added spacer they come with.

I've always wondered why they include a single spacer and say to put it on the passenger side...

And I've always wondered if I could buy another spacer and put it on the driver side to get even more angle...
Old 12-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #6077
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i just installed kyb AGX struts on my s14. I have been riding on stock struts and megan springs for awhile and i went ahead and installed the fronts (put them on setting 3 of 4)

Today i went and put the REAR AGX's on my s14 and the setting are like 2-8 as where the fronts are only 1-4. That being said, I put the rears on setting 6.

I am not used to the feel of driving with new struts, but i feel like i am understeering now when takin turns aggressively.

By stiffening the rear, would that induce more oversteer or more understeer??? some one pm me please it would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #6078
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Oversteer.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #6079
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
I have the tein inner and outer tie rods on my s13 and the added spacer they come with.

I've always wondered why they include a single spacer and say to put it on the passenger side...

And I've always wondered if I could buy another spacer and put it on the driver side to get even more angle...
Tein inner tie rods come with slip on angle spacers. If they are recommending that only one should be installed, it is so that the average user does not encounter overcentering. If you installed both, you would have more rack travel and therefore more angle. You may need to remove the bump stops at this point and keep an eye out for overcentering. You can prevent this by lengthening the tension rods, installing eccentric rack bushings or offset rack spacers, or relocating the steering rack.

Bolt on angle spacers are usually recommended to be installed on the passenger side. I assume this is because of the way the gear teeth are cut on the steering rack, so that the pinion does not run out of teeth on the rack with the additional travel.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #6080
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Looks like GKtech bolt on knuckle spacers are out:

https://www.facebook.com/gktech/posts/610878858961035?ref=notif&notif_t=like

R chassis knuckles are also on 20 pair beta testing

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=610871455628442&set=a.1389000894922 50.23032.133362883379304&type=1&relevant_count=1
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #6081
boost addict
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
boost addict is making a name for him/her selfboost addict is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Yeaaa I snagged a set early this morning, hyped to get those things!
boost addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #6082
Touge_Monster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Touge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Damn it. I just bought full knuckles 0_0

jspfab.com did an awesome job extending and modifying my lower control arms:

Cant wait to ge this set up aligned
This thread gave me aids, thank you based god.
Touge_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #6083
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost addict View Post
Yeaaa I snagged a set early this morning, hyped to get those things!
can't find em online...

link?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #6084
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge_Monster View Post
Damn it. I just bought full knuckles 0_0
That's going to bang out a lot of angle if you can set the caster low enough so it doesn't overcenter! Unless your rack is moved forward, then you'll be good to go.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #6085
Touge_Monster
Zilvia FREAK!

Touge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond repute
Im kind of hesitant to move the rack forward because I really didnt get the knuckes for the angle aspect. I really liked the other benifits of them. Plus my car is slow and any more angle will slow it down too much hahah. Im going to have JSP add bump stops for me after I get the car together. He didnt want to add one and have it be hitting the tierod in an awkward spot.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #6086
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
can't find em online...

link?

S13/180sx 40mm roll center correction kit - Limited production batch - ETA late January

Seem to be on backorder already...

* I just ordered mine, and it says ETA late January.

Last edited by Black R; 12-21-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #6087
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge_Monster View Post
Im kind of hesitant to move the rack forward because I really didnt get the knuckes for the angle aspect. I really liked the other benifits of them. Plus my car is slow and any more angle will slow it down too much hahah. Im going to have JSP add bump stops for me after I get the car together. He didnt want to add one and have it be hitting the tierod in an awkward spot.
Those look nice but the stopper should hit the steering arm on the knuckle, not the outer tie rod. If you're decently low and want to take advantage of that cutout in your FLCA you're going to want to move the rack forward or you'll overcenter in no time without very low caster.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #6088
Touge_Monster
Zilvia FREAK!

^^Definitely, meant to say we didn't want to hit the tie rod at all.

I did just get the Pbm inners but I guess I'll pick up the eccentric kit too. Even though with my power I won't be able to utilize the angle while driving
Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #6089
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
There really are no downsides to moving the rack forward. Nor is there anything wrong with having more angle than you can use. It may come in handy when navigating into a tight parking space.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #6090
Nategreat923
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Nategreat923 is making a name for him/her selfNategreat923 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
There really are no downsides to moving the rack forward. Nor is there anything wrong with having more angle than you can use. It may come in handy when navigating into a tight parking space.
And its really not difficult to do, only took us a few hours to do mine.

I have a question with the GKTech roll center correction kit, would I need to run extended tie rod ends?
Nategreat923 is offline   Reply With Quote