Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
*BOB*

Trader Rating: (0)
*BOB* is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PS Problems

Hey guys, I just got done searching for an answer but it looks like im gonna have to pick your brains.

For some reason my car is pushing PS Fluid out of the reservoir and I cant figure out why...

fairly new rack (I can tell its been rebuilt)
Just did a flush on it
Had the pressure hose redone just to make sure that wasnt the problem
pulled the reservoir out and cleaned it to make sure it wasnt plugged.

The only thing i can think of is maybe the pump is no good and somehow the pressure is pushing back up to the reservoir.

So my noob questions for you guys are..

Is there a common problem with these?
And if i do have to get a new pump can I get one off of another model or do I have to order one for the SR20?
*BOB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
How much fluid? If it's just overfilled it will drain out until it's level, but if it's doing more than that then there's a problem. Are you using ATF, or regular PS fluid? PS fluid will breakdown and clog lines, as well as score the bearings in the pump when it boils.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
*BOB*

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
How much fluid? If it's just overfilled it will drain out until it's level, but if it's doing more than that then there's a problem. Are you using ATF, or regular PS fluid? PS fluid will breakdown and clog lines, as well as score the bearings in the pump when it boils.
Using PS fluid... but it had ATF in it when i bought it. And I know its not overfilled because it will actually keep pumping the fluid out until it doesnt even register on the dipstick.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by *BOB* View Post
Using PS fluid... but it had ATF in it when i bought it. And I know its not overfilled because it will actually keep pumping the fluid out until it doesnt even register on the dipstick.
Drain it and run ATF. PS fluid is NOT to be used. You won't know what's wrong until the system is set up properly.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 10-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
*BOB*

So youre actually supposed to run ATF in it?
Old 10-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
^Yes. I dunno, maybe I'm just really smart, but it seemed like Russ made that fairly obvious in his last post.

Power steering fluid is the devil in 240's.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BOB* View Post
So youre actually supposed to run ATF in it?
Read the owners manual. Or the FSM.

Nissan, Toyota, and a few other import manufacturers design their power steering to specifically run on ATF. Anything else is shit.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
*BOB*

either way, its not gonna fix my problem... it had ATF in it when I bought it. Its still gonna spray it all over the place. But I do appreciate the tip. I will change it back to ATF.