Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #6481
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisiu View Post
that makes me second guess spending $100 on spacers. i would also like to know if there's an ultimate solution for low cars.
The ultimate solution is to stop going stupidly low. Even drifters need some handling, so raise that car, problemS solved.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #6482
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
The ultimate solution is to stop going stupidly low. Even drifters need some handling, so raise that car, problemS solved.
no way man, that makes too much sense.

ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #6483
Jifter
Leaky Injector

Jifter is an unknown quantity at this point
So here is an update on my setup

Modded my s13 knuckles. 3 1/4" eye to eye and reduced ackerman.

Circuit Sports offset tie rod spacers

Extended s13 LCA 20mm. Cut off bump stops and straightened out the flare on the edge of the LCA.

Going from only having 8mm spacers on my tierods and no stops to this setup feels amazing. I modded the knuckles for zero or minimal ackerman and I gotta say, it feels amazing not having any front end drag. The amount of lock angle I get now is awesome, I literally havent run out of lock in the two events I have run this setup. I even succeeded in a few attempted reverse entries lol.

The things limiting my lock now are the rod ends smacking my LCA (I know this isnt good). Also my tire is about 5mm from rubbing my tension rod.

Next I plan on notching my LCA a good amount and also installing some tension rods with a serious curve to them. I was planning on buying the Cor Integration v3 tension rods but they still dont have a release date on them. Im thinking about making my own out of a thick aluminum plate.

Im the s13.32 BTW. Close to full lock

Jifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #6484
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
im not THAT low and im tearing my boots. raise the car? are you chicken?

i suppose i'll read into that Rzeppa CV design stuff...
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 AM   #6485
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

I'd rather be a chicken with a grippy, working s13 than a dumbass with a tucked rims, poor handling, transmission killer, broken down car. To each their own i guess
Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #6486
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
that's it. you hurt my feelings. france, huh? all them there brickroads and dirt paths preventing you from having good looking drift cars, boy?

let's stay on topic. everyone raise their cars because

yomisiu has been banned.
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:34 AM   #6487
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Yeah, zilvia crowd, i should have known.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #6488
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sorry, raising my car isn't an option. The tunnels and sky and clouds where I live are too low to the ground I might hit them.

What RZeppa axles are a direct bolt in for a 6 bolt diff, 4 lug S13? Idk if I can swap output shafts as I have an OSGiken 2-way LSD, and those are the output shafts it came with?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #6489
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Has anybody raised their differential farther up in the chassis than the subframe risers allow, i'm tired of blowing out axles due to ride height, but I don't want to raise my car either. I'm thinking of chopping the forward mounts up higher and most likely mounting the diff up as high as physically possible. I blew three axles this weekend just trying to get to a drift event and still didn't get to drift. This is WITH 20mm axle spacers. The axles just can't take the articulation of tucking rim on 17's...

Julian Jacobs knows a thing or two about going low.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #6490
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Okay he went the opposite and more functional way of what I was thinking haha, looks awesome. I wouldn't really know where to start when it comes to what he did with his.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #6491
Amandrews
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Amandrews is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So nobody knows the spline sizes on the steering shaft for an s14?
Amandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #6492
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
So I'm running the PBM FLCA tension rod combo with their forged knuckle, PBM inner tie rods, PBM 7mm tie rod spacer, SPL tie rod ends. I would totally just figure it out myself, but I'm currently waiting for my crossmember bolts/nuts and tension rod bolts/nuts because mine were just trash.

Is anyone else running the same setup and know if there is enough space for these steering angle rack spacers or would it be too much with it?
Post your wheel and tire spec.

Edit: Never mind. I bought one anyway, we shall see what I get out of this.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #6493
JDMcheddar
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
JDMcheddar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer240 View Post
So I'm running the PBM FLCA tension rod combo with their forged knuckle, PBM inner tie rods, PBM 7mm tie rod spacer, SPL tie rod ends. I would totally just figure it out myself, but I'm currently waiting for my crossmember bolts/nuts and tension rod bolts/nuts because mine were just trash.

Is anyone else running the same setup and know if there is enough space for these steering angle rack spacers or would it be too much with it?
Post your wheel and tire spec.

Edit: Never mind. I bought one anyway, we shall see what I get out of this.
I am running a very similar setup and so far have had no issues except with the spl outers. I had to switch to Moog for better clearance. If you don't have them yet I would recommend getting the eccentric rack bushings as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I hope you're offended
JDMcheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #6494
n2o_matt

n2o_matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
You need some S14 subframe up in there! S13 RLCA point up at the sky.
Forgive the back dated quote, have a lot of catching up to do.

But isn't that the point of raising the rear subframe/a rear drop knuckle? Or are you saying you want them pointing up even more (at the center of the car)?
n2o_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #6495
killer240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMcheddar View Post
I am running a very similar setup and so far have had no issues except with the spl outers. I had to switch to Moog for better clearance. If you don't have them yet I would recommend getting the eccentric rack bushings as well.

I forgot to put those on the list. I have the eccentric rack bushings also. Where was the SPL tie rod ends hitting? I think I can kind of see what your saying, the shaft for the SPL is too long?
Can you post your setup? So on top of my setup I can easily add 14* depending what my wheel/tire spec is.
I should have gone with S14 FLCA instead.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #6496
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

does anyone have CAD data on the front S14 knuckles?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #6497
JDMcheddar
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
JDMcheddar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer240 View Post
I forgot to put those on the list. I have the eccentric rack bushings also. Where was the SPL tie rod ends hitting? I think I can kind of see what your saying, the shaft for the SPL is too long?
Can you post your setup? So on top of my setup I can easily add 14* depending what my wheel/tire spec is.
I should have gone with S14 FLCA instead.
I just saw that you have the forged knuckles. You shouldn't have a problem then. Mine was hitting on my old setup with the weld ons. Sorry for the confusion.

I hope you're offended
JDMcheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #6498
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey guys I am looking into upgrading my inner and outer tie rods. The car at the moment is still on the stock front suspension setup besides coils. I purchased the gk bolt up RC correction knuckle, along with their steering rack spacer that I will run in the future, but for now I need a new inners and outers before sending the car off to get aligned.

I am looking at these and I am wondering if anyone can comment on the quality?

http://www.tf-works.com/nissan-240sx...r-tie-rod-set/

The inners are made by peak and the outers by TF apparently.

I am just trying to see if any has ever used this product and if so what is the quality? I have search and I haven’t been able to find a review of these.

I am trying to stay away from circuit sports, Megan etc. due to all the bad reviews of those.

Thanks for your time.

- G
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #6499
n2o_matt

n2o_matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
does anyone have CAD data on the front S14 knuckles?
pickup points good enough? Or do you need the full "body"?
n2o_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #6500
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
What is the steering rack travel? I do not have one to measure.
Thank you.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #6501
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
68.5mm x 2 = 137mm

derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #6502
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Hmm I should measure my rack stroke on my rack with 2x pbm tie rod spacers and 2x rack extensions lol.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #6503
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o_matt View Post
pickup points good enough? Or do you need the full "body"?
pick up points would work fine as long as it has the king pin and tie rod angle relations correct. and a solid reference point.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #6504
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o_matt View Post
Forgive the back dated quote, have a lot of catching up to do.

But isn't that the point of raising the rear subframe/a rear drop knuckle? Or are you saying you want them pointing up even more (at the center of the car)?
S14 rear subframe has revised RLCA mounting points, to reduce the anti-squat for the rear suspension. The S13 RLCA pickups are heavily inclined, giving lots of anti-squat. It goes up as you lower the car as well, so it's just too much IMO. I was faster with the S14 rear subframe, and the car is much more stable on corner exit.

Has nothing/very little to do with raising the rear subframe up with bushings or a drop knuckle.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #6505
killer240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
68.5mm x 2 = 137mm
Thanks I was about to look into this

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Hmm I should measure my rack stroke on my rack with 2x pbm tie rod spacers and 2x rack extensions lol.

Bruuh... lol you gotta do what you gotta do
Old 08-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #6506
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
S14 rear subframe has revised RLCA mounting points, to reduce the anti-squat for the rear suspension. The S13 RLCA pickups are heavily inclined, giving lots of anti-squat. It goes up as you lower the car as well, so it's just too much IMO. I was faster with the S14 rear subframe, and the car is much more stable on corner exit.

Has nothing/very little to do with raising the rear subframe up with bushings or a drop knuckle.
Anti-squat is always reduced in bump travel, this shit is getting old mate.
We have gone through this before and still you don't want to understand how it works so let me carve it out and paint it red for you:

Lowered s13

Old 08-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #6507
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Anti-squat is always reduced in bump travel, this shit is getting old mate.
We have gone through this before and still you don't want to understand how it works so let me carve it out and paint it red for you:

Lowered s13

Drop the fucking attitude.

I was going from memory, and honestly watching TV at the same time and half paying attention to what I posted.

If you want to post correct info, go right ahead, I welcome it. But drop the big man attitude.

And yes, I do understand how it all works, just did it in my head and got the answer wrong. It happens.

Fucking zilvia, always chock full of pricks.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #6508
caglej
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
caglej is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
well this is a thread for correct and precise information so..........
caglej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #6509
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caglej View Post
well this is a thread for correct and precise information so..........
I said fine if he wants to correct me - I just didn't appreciate his attitude.

He also has issue with the fact that I say the S14 rear subframe is faster for track driving. I've got lap times to back up the change, and the car is definitely faster and easier to get the power down mid-corner and on corner exit.

Yes, it is application specific, but the S14 rear subframe is generally in the ballpark of where you want to be for driving on track with an S-chassis based on my real world testing.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #6510
powahh
Leaky Injector

powahh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandrews View Post
So nobody knows the spline sizes on the steering shaft for an s14?
I need this too, trying to clear my headers