Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-02-2023, 01:34 AM   #1
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Sr20 - car ran fine, now won?t start. No spark? Bad fuel?

My sr s13 ran fine. Car is down for a few months for me to do suspension work, go to start car now - nothing. No interior lights, radio, brake lights or headlights. Motor tries to turn, but doesn't start.

We realize main fuse is blown, I found acid on my battery and think this may have been the culprit. We replace main fuse, all the lights work now as they are suppose to, but motor still doing the same thing - turns like it?s going to start but never does.

Radio also isn?t coming on.

I think we?ve been through most fuses. Doesn?t seem to be sparking, but I started thinking and realized the gas in it is quite old now too.

Any suggestions here? We pulled the plugs and they *looked* fine.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:45 AM   #2
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
My sr s13 ran fine. Car is down for a few months for me to do suspension work, go to start car now - nothing. No interior lights, radio, brake lights or headlights. Motor tries to turn, but doesn't start.

We realize main fuse is blown, I found acid on my battery and think this may have been the culprit. We replace main fuse, all the lights work now as they are suppose to, but motor still doing the same thing - turns like it?s going to start but never does.

Radio also isn?t coming on.

I think we?ve been through most fuses. Doesn?t seem to be sparking, but I started thinking and realized the gas in it is quite old now too.

Any suggestions here? We pulled the plugs and they *looked* fine.
Hmm Initially reading this I thought of a fuse. I had the exact problem with my 1JZ it would turn over and not start and finally found and replace a blown 15A fuse and it started.

Fully charge the battery, I also checked the resistance of and cleaned my cam sensors thinking that might be the issue but it really was only the fuse. You had multiple blown fuses? Maybe there's another that you haven't found. Fuel leaking anywhere? Fuel pump priming?
kanyedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:03 AM   #3
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
try load testing the battery, may have bad cell(s)
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:05 AM   #4
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyedian View Post
Hmm Initially reading this I thought of a fuse. I had the exact problem with my 1JZ it would turn over and not start and finally found and replace a blown 15A fuse and it started.

Fully charge the battery, I also checked the resistance of and cleaned my cam sensors thinking that might be the issue but it really was only the fuse. You had multiple blown fuses? Maybe there's another that you haven't found. Fuel leaking anywhere? Fuel pump priming?
Fuel pump is priming, Fuel is being delivered for sure.

We tried 2 different batteries and hooked up to jumpers to make sure we had juice.

We?ve tried pretty much all fuses in the bay. I am perplexed. We did both the main and engine cont. as well as those tend to be the issues when reading and researching.
Old 08-02-2023, 01:51 PM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Are you getting spark? Whats scary is when those main fuse blow, you can fry the ecu too....
Old 08-03-2023, 10:12 AM   #6
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
try load testing the battery, may have bad cell(s)
Original battery was definitely bad. I found it with leaked corrosion in the top. Everything now happened AFTER I found that, only strange thing I found that may explain the car not starting now. I believe the battery leaking on the top caused the surge to blow the 75 main fuse, as the new fuse has been totally fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Are you getting spark? Whats scary is when those main fuse blow, you can fry the ecu too....
I am starting to lean towards this.

No spark, last night we ruled that out completely as we tried new plugs just in case and tested on the VC the old and new.

The entire issue now is no spark, everything else seems fine.

So, I am leaning towards ECU. The battery I found leaking a week ago(ish), and I think that may have been the cause of the main fuse and potentially the ECU going bye bye.

Not 100% sure yet, but that?s the prevailing thought.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:40 AM   #7
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
Original battery was definitely bad. I found it with leaked corrosion in the top. Everything now happened AFTER I found that, only strange thing I found that may explain the car not starting now. I believe the battery leaking on the top caused the surge to blow the 75 main fuse, as the new fuse has been totally fine.

I am starting to lean towards this.

No spark, last night we ruled that out completely as we tried new plugs just in case and tested on the VC the old and new.

The entire issue now is no spark, everything else seems fine.

So, I am leaning towards ECU. The battery I found leaking a week ago(ish), and I think that may have been the cause of the main fuse and potentially the ECU going bye bye.

Not 100% sure yet, but that?s the prevailing thought.
Yeah I had the Eng Cont Fusible link blow before, not sure how.... but ECU was fried. Only way to verify is with another ECU..... I assume his is Coil on Plug, so other than check grounds on the harness, its the ECU.....