Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
S14 wing downforce test.

B wave style wing

Cusco GT wing

Cusco GT wing (different type)

Silvia wing

So, as you can see, wings DO something for your S14. Even the stock Silvia wing does a little (surprisingly!)

I hope this helps out somebody or just makes you go, "ohhh, interesting"

Last edited by Brian; 01-25-2009 at 09:08 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
drftmark
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
drftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura aboutdrftmark has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So the first cusco wing wins
Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
The stock wing probably only does something by weighing 3kg.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
clearly the kouki wing would of performed better if it was on a kouki

lol jk jk

how come they did not test more wings? like the HKS or nismo270R or stock zenki wing? or the do-luck?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Brian
Post Whore!

Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
I don't know.
Maybe I can go back in time to 7 years ago when they made the article and then call them overseas and ask to perhaps include more wings in the article.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
out of curiosity, what is the thing thats creating lift at the bottom of the chart?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
CAMFabrication

CAMFabrication is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CAMFabrication
Someone care to translate what exactly I'm looking at? All it looks like to me is a bunch of japanese lettering and some crazy lines doing their own thing.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Brian
Post Whore!

zilvia - I THINK that is with no wing. I don't read Japanese, but I am assuming.

Camfab - If you can't figure it out from the pictures / line graph / BIG RED NUMBERS, you need to be more creative. I hope nobody translates anything for you.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
signalpuke
@savagepuke

Trader Rating: (3)
signalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymoresignalpuke is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sweet post. The wave looks like the winner to me, most linear increase.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I don't know.
Maybe I can go back in time to 7 years ago when they made the article and then call them overseas and ask to perhaps include more wings in the article.
well you didn't exactly say how old this article was.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
Brian
Post Whore!

Well, even if it was from a magazine put out last month, I still wouldn't know why they didn't choose those other wings.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
just confirmed with my jap reading friend. the wing that creates lift is in fact wingless..
Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
Sleepy240
Zilvia Addict

Sleepy240 is an unknown quantity at this point
the results are pretty interesting! I'd be interested in seeing what caused the large spikes in the Cusco GT. Its a shame magazines nowadays aren't even nearly as informative stuff from the 90's =(
Old 01-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
Brian
Post Whore!

Cusco Adjustable GT wing type 2

Cusco 3D Carbon GT wing
Old 01-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
ChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her selfChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoS14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy240 View Post
the results are pretty interesting! I'd be interested in seeing what caused the large spikes in the Cusco GT. Its a shame magazines nowadays aren't even nearly as informative stuff from the 90's =(
Thats because the general public in many ways is dumber.... everyone's all about looks, flush wheels, spacers, over fenders... no one cares as much about pure performance and functionality. People want that "Track" or "Drift" look but don't necessarily have the parts that warrant it.

Perfect example is the local Chicago 240 forum. Most people on there care about how their car looks, what wheels it has, how flush they are and anyone that joins with a stock 240 gets laughed at because their car isn't "cool".
Old 01-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
ohhh, interesting! Bookmarked!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
since the silvia wing is actually in the negative at high speeds. . . it's creating LIFT @ 150kph?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #18
Brian
Post Whore!

Just barely, but it certainly appears to be.

150kph should be around 90mph FYI.... i think.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #19
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

iwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfection
i wonder what kind of drag each produces. i mean the shovel wing made 36kg of downforce, but the think looks like a damn wind-parachute. i bet the s14 wing produces the least drag.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Well, even if it was from a magazine put out last month, I still wouldn't know why they didn't choose those other wings.

very valid point, im sure some where in the article it probably says they tested these wings because they were the most popular, i'm almost sure of that to be the answer.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #21
DMaxUSA
Zilvia Junkie

DMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond reputeDMaxUSA has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The spikes are a natural result of the type of testing they did. They put the different wings on the same car, same driver, and same road course. Since they were not always going at constant speed and passing through corners, some wings would provide better downforce than others based on shape (which is why its common to straight plane wings, as well as "3D" curved plane wings).

The stock S14 Kouki wing was purely designed to bring the S14 to zero lift as much as possible. S14's have a tendency to lift at high speeds due to the shape of the rear bumper, and the bottom line (the no wing line) shows negative downforce which is lift.

dmax-us.com
Old 01-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #22
Sleepy240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxUSA View Post
The spikes are a natural result of the type of testing they did. They put the different wings on the same car, same driver, and same road course. Since they were not always going at constant speed and passing through corners, some wings would provide better downforce than others based on shape (which is why its common to straight plane wings, as well as "3D" curved plane wings).

The stock S14 Kouki wing was purely designed to bring the S14 to zero lift as much as possible. S14's have a tendency to lift at high speeds due to the shape of the rear bumper, and the bottom line (the no wing line) shows negative downforce which is lift.
I thought since they were using speed as an axis the corners etc would be irrelevant since they are only measuring the downforces at a speed? Either way a SPIKE that large to me would show inconsistency in the product since ALL the other wings are relatively flat as far the graph goes. If they were to redo this test wouldn't testing it in a wind tunnel or the like provide more quality results? And also provide additional information such as drag etc.?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #23
irax
Post Whore!

isn't drag a function of downforce?
Old 01-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #24
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilviaKid View Post
just confirmed with my jap reading friend. the wing that creates lift is in fact wingless..
yes, that is correct

it says WINGU NASHI (no wing)
Old 01-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #25
LS240
Zilvia Member

LS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really niceLS240 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero View Post
since the silvia wing is actually in the negative at high speeds. . . it's creating LIFT @ 150kph?
No, the wing is actually cancelling lift, or in other words creating downforce. The overall net effect with the Kouki wing is very slight lift at speed, but compared to no wing, there is far less lift. So the wing is in fact doing it's job.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #26
Sleepy240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS240 View Post
No, the wing is actually cancelling lift, or in other words creating downforce. The overall net effect with the Kouki wing is very slight lift at speed, but compared to no wing, there is far less lift. So the wing is in fact doing it's job.
Technically wouldn't it be doing its job UP until the 150kph? At which point it becomes a negativte effec (even though its still greater than no wing)? Either way it does its job from a practicality standpoint
Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #27
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
No, because like LS240 said the lift amount is still less than a wingless S14. It's creating downforce, just not enough to get the car to zero lift. That doesn't make it a negative effect. A negative effect would means it has MORE lift than a wingless S14.

That heinous b-wave wing actually does something LOL. Neat.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #28
Sleepy240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
No, because like LS240 said the lift amount is still less than a wingless S14. It's creating downforce, just not enough to get the car to zero lift. That doesn't make it a negative effect. A negative effect would means it has MORE lift than a wingless S14.

That heinous b-wave wing actually does something LOL. Neat.
By the WING actually creating LIFT it is having a negative effect... Its like a diminishing return, my assumption would be if the speed was increased past the 150kph the effects would be more obvious. When the wing goes from creating downforce (positive) to creating life (negative) it is NOT doing its job. At slower speeds absolutely it works fine.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #29
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Dude, it's not creating lift. You're confusing the wing creating lift and the chassis having lift. Look at the brown line. That's a wingless S14. The chassis has a natural amount of lift at speed. The red line is with the kouki wing it has less lift overall, therefore the wing is creating downforce even if the chassis isn't at zero lift. If at any point the red line was lower than the brown line then the wing would be creating lift.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #30
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

luftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant future
Quote:
By the WING actually creating LIFT it is having a negative effect... Its like a diminishing return, my assumption would be if the speed was increased past the 150kph the effects would be more obvious. When the wing goes from creating downforce (positive) to creating life (negative) it is NOT doing its job. At slower speeds absolutely it works fine.
I don't see how the wing itself can go from creating downforce to creating lift. The only explanation that I can see is that its effectiveness decreases as the speed increases, possibly because it sits so low on the car.

Keep in mind that the downforce is still less than no wing, which means that it's still producing downforce, ableit not enough to counter the lift caused by the aerodynamic properties of the S14.