Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #1591
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
You know seriously idaho if I were to do it all over again. I wouldn't do an sr... LS1 and call it a day... On track especially when its hot SR's can't run 18PSI... it would over heat for sure... I eman I have 19 row setrab oil cool and all the cooling venting and bla bla bla... still its not great..... I dunno for fun on teh street SR for sure... for track, its gotta be LS1 or somethign that doesn't create so much heat.... you can ask WhiteGLX about that....
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #1592
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
i dont track my car though. just street and highways driving. ls1 is sickthe thought went through my head a couple times
bt i liek the sound of a 4cylinder turbo spooling
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #1593
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You dont need 18psi on track when 14psi will do just fine. There are a lot of people who track SR cars with no real issues. I also think the Pignose front bumper creates a huge cooling problem.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #1594
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
You dont need 18psi on track when 14psi will do just fine. There are a lot of people who track SR cars with no real issues. I also think the Pignose front bumper creates a huge cooling problem.
Uh... you telling me that I don't need the power at 18psi? why wouldn't I use it if its tuned for it?

Pignosed was gone a long long LOOOONG time ago....

Yes under panel and over panel is there too to direct air... Hoping a swirl pot will help.....
Old 02-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #1595
boost
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
boost is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i was at the same event with my beater s13 hatch (multi grey colored). i was wondering which car was yours. i was thinking it was the white one originally.
boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #1596
slider2828
Post Whore!

O I remember... I am waiting for the some drifting pictures... but yeah... say wassup next time...
Old 02-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #1597
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Since you're having heat issues and don't want to lower the boost I would suggest ceramic coating as your next option to keep temps down.

A guy I know runs track days at Sebring in the middle of summer here in Florida and doesn't have too much of an issue after he ceramic coated pretty much everything on the hot-side of the motor. He said the temps in the engine bay dropped by more than 20*

You could also try running E85 since it keeps the combustion charge way cooler.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #1598
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
i wish we had e85 here
Old 02-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #1599
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

S13 curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahotuner View Post
i wish we had e85 here

come down to florida
S13 curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #1600
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

what do you guys think about the t2 gt3071r. i am seeing if they have a .64 version versus the .86. the problem i noticed with my gt2871r .64 was back pressure cause my pistons to get screwed up on the exhaust side but they were stock pistons. seems like a gt30 wheel with housings about the same size as gt2871, will flow more making a little more top end, with about the same boost response.

make about 400 to the wheels on 92 octane, with a 2.2 liter and ported head on the exhaust side. and once the center housing got spooling even if it took a littler longer it will have more rotational momentum and inertia.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #1601
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
what do you guys think about the t2 gt3071r. i am seeing if they have a .64 version versus the .86. the problem i noticed with my gt2871r .64 was back pressure cause my pistons to get screwed up on the exhaust side but they were stock pistons. seems like a gt30 wheel with housings about the same size as gt2871, will flow more making a little more top end, with about the same boost response.

make about 400 to the wheels on 92 octane, with a 2.2 liter and ported head on the exhaust side. and once the center housing got spooling even if it took a littler longer it will have more rotational momentum and inertia.
the 3071.64 will still have alot of back pressure, if anythhing go with the .86 and do an external wastegate or you can be like me and get the ATP .72 back housing
Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #1602
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 curtis View Post
the 3071.64 will still have alot of back pressure, if anythhing go with the .86 and do an external wastegate or you can be like me and get the ATP .72 back housing
hmmmm is that internal or external.

if they made a bottom mount manifold that was externally gated i would like to see it.

can you give me a link to it.
yeah and i agree about the .86 being better after doing some more reading. i wouldnt mind full boost around 4200 becasue i will rev out to 8
Old 02-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #1603
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
hmmmm is that internal or external.

if they made a bottom mount manifold that was externally gated i would like to see it.

can you give me a link to it.
yeah and i agree about the .86 being better after doing some more reading. i wouldnt mind full boost around 4200 becasue i will rev out to 8
I upgraded my compressor housing and my exhaust housing went from the .64 to .72 external V44 backside and went to a GT3071 compressor housing.

I still havent had it mounted yet but it should be pretty fun once i get it running. especially since its running on ethanol.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #1604
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
good stuff man, lets see that mounted!
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #1605
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15specR View Post
good stuff man, lets see that mounted!

Yeah, I too would be interested to see what difference the 3071 compressor housing and 0.76 exhaust housing have on the power/spool characteristics versus the typical and 0.64 housings.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #1606
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 curtis View Post
I upgraded my compressor housing and my exhaust housing went from the .64 to .72 external V44 backside and went to a GT3071 compressor housing.

I still havent had it mounted yet but it should be pretty fun once i get it running. especially since its running on ethanol.
so is that a gt2871 wit ha gt3071 housing on the front an an atp t2 external gated turbine housing?
i cant find that housing turbine housing? how much did that whole combo cost you. if some one bought the center section, they could combine them all for about the same price as a normal gt3071 seems
Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #1607
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/230385...mm-wg-t2x.html found the link. i wonder if they will let you switch out when you order so you dont have to order both sections. i might have to call them tomorrow and ask.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #1608
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

CHRA - Garrett GT3071R-WG with 90 trim 56.5mm turbine wheel : atpturbo.com think i might pic up this center section, then peice it together. but ifs yours was originally a .64 a/r then it is the 84 trim, wonder waht difference the 90 trim would make
Old 02-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #1609
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

difference is the 56.5mm turbine vs the 60mm turbine
so i found this center section Garrett Turbo Replacement CHRA - GT3071R [CHRA-GT3071R] - $827.00 : Himni Racing, Turbocharger, Turbo, Garrett, Turbo Kit, GReddy, Mazda RX-7, HKS, Apexi, TiAL, TurboXS, TurboSmart, Flange, Turbonetics, Exhaust, Intercooler, ACT, Intake
combine it with Special Turbine Housing T25-EWG-44 : atpturbo.comCompressor housing for GT3071R with 71mm 56 trim wheel - 4" Inlet and 2" outlet : atpturbo.com and you pay exactly the same price asa gt3071 t2 but have a better turbo, then add in a tubular maifold, and the turbo outlet that is divdied as if it was for an internal gated turbo, seems like it would keep flow better coming out of the turbine.

i bet this set up full boost by 4000 rpm, and make a around 450 on pump gas
Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #1610
sukimoto
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
sukimoto is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
difference is the 56.5mm turbine vs the 60mm turbine
so i found this center section Garrett Turbo Replacement CHRA - GT3071R [CHRA-GT3071R] - $827.00 : Himni Racing, Turbocharger, Turbo, Garrett, Turbo Kit, GReddy, Mazda RX-7, HKS, Apexi, TiAL, TurboXS, TurboSmart, Flange, Turbonetics, Exhaust, Intercooler, ACT, Intake
combine it with Special Turbine Housing T25-EWG-44 : atpturbo.comCompressor housing for GT3071R with 71mm 56 trim wheel - 4" Inlet and 2" outlet : atpturbo.com and you pay exactly the same price asa gt3071 t2 but have a better turbo, then add in a tubular maifold, and the turbo outlet that is divdied as if it was for an internal gated turbo, seems like it would keep flow better coming out of the turbine.

i bet this set up full boost by 4000 rpm, and make a around 450 on pump gas
i like this
sukimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #1611
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

and here you can buy the turbo for 1160 dollars. just select the correct options, i wonder if the 4 inch inlet really has any benifit over the 3. MAF to 3inch pipe, to 3 in inlet seems like would have the best flow. not to mention it would probably be cheaper.

Garrett GT3071R Ball Bearing Turbo (450 HP) [700382-3 , 700382] - $1,160.00 : Himni Racing, Turbocharger, Turbo, Garrett, Turbo Kit, GReddy, Mazda RX-7, HKS, Apexi, TiAL, TurboXS, TurboSmart, Flange, Turbonetics, Exhaust, Intercooler, ACT, Intake
Old 02-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #1612
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
hey cody, which trim you running 56?
On the compressor side, yes the 56 trim A/R. However let it be known that A/R changes on the compressor side typically make for less to zero difference in HP, assuming th rest is the same. Will it change a few aspects? Yes technically, but it won't effect spool up and that sort. It's really interesting to read about how little an A/R change on a compressor effects power...very unlike the turbine sections which can make large differences.

Quote:
my sr i am putting together right now is a 2.2 mazworx block, last set up i posted earlier in this thread on a stock block i made 416 with a gt2871r .64
I still wish they never used that correction factor with your dyno. Shame on that dyno shop.

This is why when I run the dyno days, it's always give people uncorrected and STD numbers. It's amazing to see people running wild CF's to make pwoer, it's just not fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post

Correct. I run 12 and sometimes 16 when I wanna pass a higher power car that parks in the corners. No issues here after 4 years.

Quote:
I don't like the idea with such a small housing. However the backpressure didn't cause any 'ruining' on the pistons, that is what detonation was. Certainly backpressure can help induce a detonation prone sitution, but typically the detonation is already there.

Quote:
so is that a gt2871 wit ha gt3071 housing on the front an an atp t2 external gated turbine housing?
On paper it sounds like a fantastic idea, but as before, the biggest drawback has always been the turbine housing as the restriction. With a proper backside it may prove to be a 'hot setup'. For me, it was just easier to adapt a external gate onto the manifold than spend all the cash again hehe.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #1613
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
On the compressor side, yes the 56 trim A/R. However let it be known that A/R changes on the compressor side typically make for less to zero difference in HP, assuming th rest is the same. Will it change a few aspects? Yes technically, but it won't effect spool up and that sort. It's really interesting to read about how little an A/R change on a compressor effects power...very unlike the turbine sections which can make large differences.

Cody, I am NOT CERTAIN, but I think you might be off a little here on your explanation.

From what I recall, the trim of the compressor wheel refers to the ratio of the area of the inducer to exducer.

On the 2871R, the exducer is 71 mm, so all that can change with different trims is the inducer size of the wheel.

But you were referring to "56 trim A/R"

I may be wrong, but I think A/R of the housing is completely different than the trim of the wheel.

And if you look on Garrett's website at the compressor map of the two different compressor wheel sizes:

The 56 trim does flow a little bit more than the 52 trim, but the difference is small.

Daily driven
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #1614
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

i am trying to find something that will get me about the equivalent of 400 to the wheels with out running on the jagged edge of efficiency for the turbo but still have nice response.

while keeping it bottem mount for money savings
Old 03-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #1615
MandTPhotography
Zilvia Addict

MandTPhotography is an unknown quantity at this point
The fuck is this?

GT28 TURBO CHARGER +8PSI INTERNAL WASTEGATE T25 .86 A/R : eBay Motors (item 140339705839 end time Mar-11-10 18:56:04 PST)
MandTPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #1616
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Huh? That looks pretty legit to me.

That there is one of them "Turbo Chargers".

Daily driven
Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #1617
MandTPhotography
Zilvia Addict

MandTPhotography is an unknown quantity at this point
About as legit as a malaysian garage plastic surgery.

Half the shit on the store is misspelled.
MandTPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #1618
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandTPhotography View Post
About as legit as a malaysian garage plastic surgery.

Half the shit on the store is misspelled.
What a fitting name

"Mirage Turbochargers"

lol!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #1619
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
figured i would put this issue in here because they are some smart ones posting here

so i drove my car home for the first time yesterday. let it sit in my garage and went to start it this morning...and it flooded like super style. pulled the plugs and they are soaked. so i cleaned em off, pulled the injector clips and turned the key. started up and ran for a sec, plugs the injectors back in and BAM, she starts and runs great.

now, where i keep my car in my shop, its never under 60 degrees and it was at my house in my garage where it got to..i dont know 40ish last night.
did the cold start cause this problem?
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #1620
codyace
Post Whore!

THat should be posted in general section, not here.

ps: that small temperature difference wouldn't make much of an issue in regard to the car flooding. check timing/coupler vacuum leaks and unsure your tune/ecu is correct.