Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
CBAL
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
CBAL is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Harness Bar is it really worth it?

This is why we don't use harness bars - Honda-Tech
discuss
CBAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
badicalradical
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
badicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of lightbadicalradical is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Id like to see how bad the car is
badicalradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
ROOSEY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
ROOSEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
buy a cage dont cheap out on a harness bar theyre sketchy.
ROOSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
Martino
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
Martino is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I lol when I see people running those.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
roll cage for looks is fine on the streets but i would NEVER install a harness for a street car let alone use a harness bar

this is what happens!
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
slow40sx
Nissanaholic!

slow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to slow40sx
yeah, I welded in 8th inch base plates and bolted my cusco to the plates and got an NRG 4 point harness bar and every time i drive around i'm so nervous the car could just burst into flames any second
Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
theres a member that uses the DC sport strutbar ias a harness bar.

http://projectautox.com/drift_build/...alled_rear.jpg
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They're doing it wrong. If you are using harnesses, but not running a cage on a Honda Civic/Integra/RSX, the proper way to do it is run a harness bar, but don't attach the harnesses to it. Simply run the harnesses over the bar so that the angle at which it enters the seat is correct (no spinal compression if the seat breaks), but attach them to the rear seat belt buckle mounting locations, since they're reinforced.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Balance View Post
They're doing it wrong. If you are using harnesses, but not running a cage on a Honda Civic/Integra/RSX, the proper way to do it is run a harness bar, but don't attach the harnesses to it. Simply run the harnesses over the bar so that the angle at which it enters the seat is correct (no spinal compression if the seat breaks), but attach them to the rear seat belt buckle mounting locations, since they're reinforced.
ahhhhh that makes a lot of sense...
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
JuMPiiN
Zilvia Junkie

JuMPiiN is an unknown quantity at this point
Crappy reclinable seats don't help either.
JuMPiiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
slow40sx
Nissanaholic!

slow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud ofslow40sx has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to slow40sx
If you don't have a fixed bucket and you don't track your car you shouldn't have harnesses anyway
Old 02-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
i always wanted to be folded in half, jason vorhees style
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
looks like a shitty harness bar. i dont understand why there are joints atthe b-pillar. a harness bar needs to be one bar across, bolted or welded to the factory seatbelt hole location. i had a harness bar in my s14 Kouki custom made by Position 1 Motorsports. i hit a jersey barrier doing 80. you know what happened to the bar, NOTHING. i lived, stayed in the car, and sold the harness bar for $250 to a friend.
SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I always thought harness bars were one of the worst looking mods done to cars. They just look terrible.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
NatAsRex7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
NatAsRex7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
it somewhat helps stiffens the car -__-
NatAsRex7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I just find it funny when people street their cars and replace the stock seat belts completely with harnesses... If I were to get a harness, it'll be when I get a rollcage, and I'll keep my stock seat belts for when I drive on the street. It's much safer that way.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irresistible View Post
I just find it funny when people street their cars and replace the stock seat belts completely with harnesses... If I were to get a harness, it'll be when I get a rollcage, and I'll keep my stock seat belts for when I drive on the street. It's much safer that way.
That's what I do. Granted I put 6000ish miles on the car a year and that's it, but I always wear the stock seatbelts on the street.

In fact, I've since taken the bucket out for street driving, and just simply swap the GTR one into it when not going to a track event.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
tims05
Zilvia Member

tims05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Think theres more to that story then whats in the picture. If both people were wearing the harnesses there would be no way to bend a bar like that in the middle and bend it that much. Side impact maybe or if someone was in the back seat or if it was made outta exhuast tubing lol
tims05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #19
lame_s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
lame_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Legitimate question; My stock 13 seat broke yesterday, and my plan was to buy a fixed back bucket, keep my stock belts for daily and pick up a harness and bar to use on track days, but I don't really know much about harness bars. After seeing this, are they just bad news? I don't really want to daily a car with a cage but is that my only safe option to run a harness?
lame_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tims05 View Post
Think theres more to that story then whats in the picture. If both people were wearing the harnesses there would be no way to bend a bar like that in the middle and bend it that much. Side impact maybe or if someone was in the back seat or if it was made outta exhuast tubing lol
Or the fact that they are shit, made out of garbage material, and really only for those guys who want to hardpark at the local Wegmans on Friday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame_s13 View Post
Legitimate question; My stock 13 seat broke yesterday, and my plan was to buy a fixed back bucket, keep my stock belts for daily and pick up a harness and bar to use on track days, but I don't really know much about harness bars. After seeing this, are they just bad news? I don't really want to daily a car with a cage but is that my only safe option to run a harness?
If you 'require' a harness, get a rollbar. If you can't live with a rollbar, then you don't need a harness.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 02-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #21
Freddy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Freddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
guarantee you this person didnt wrap his harness properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcN-JAMw3c
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #22
codyace
Post Whore!

Doesn't matter if it was wrapped incorrectly, or correctly, the bars are still shit.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #23
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Taniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfection
werd. if you don't wrap your belts correctly, they come off. they don't bend your bar in half.

anywho, an autopower roll bar is like, $300? what's a harness bar cost? $150? just suck up the cost.
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #24
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Doesn't matter if it was wrapped incorrectly, or correctly, the bars are still shit.
Agreed... it was due to the harness bar being weak and used in correctly. The harnesses shouldn't be wrapped around that bar period. They should drop to the floor or another STRONG mounting point in the back. The whole point of that bar (already stated) is to correct the angle, NOT to mount the harnesses directly to it.
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #25
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
werd. if you don't wrap your belts correctly, they come off. they don't bend your bar in half.

anywho, an autopower roll bar is like, $300? what's a harness bar cost? $150? just suck up the cost.
I think they are 400-450 shipped...and on top of that they are legal, and fit well. Can't ask for much more. I've had one now for quite some time...works great, fit well.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #26
Freddy
Zilvia Junkie

Freddy is an unknown quantity at this point
I do agree on the harness bar part but wouldn't the lap belts kept him in ?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #27
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I do agree on the harness bar part but wouldn't the lap belts kept him in ?
On a 4 point, you slide right under neath them most of the time (submarining). A 5 point will help keep that from happening as it has that 5th lower connection between your legs. However the bar would have still collapsed, and they would have bene injured.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #28
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Not justifying that bar in any sense, BUT it is some Ebay cheapo one....the real Sparco one has solid welds for the mounts, not pivots. Looks bad either way, but probably a lesser quality tubing used, and poor execution in design. Cage is the only way. Why be cheap, it's your life.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #29
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Now I gotta go double check the wraps on my harness when i have a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tims05 View Post
Think theres more to that story then whats in the picture
I agree.
Like how fast where they going and what did they hit?
(honda, street racing, was my first thought, and so at 80 plus mph, that not to bad, lol)

I wanna know why the passenger was ejected? Those 4/5 points arnt gonna do you a lot of good if they are worn slacked. And when your body slams against the harnesses that were slacked, its gonna pull on the seats, mounting points, and harness bar a lot harder then if everything was snugged and your body wasnt allowed to go into motion.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #30
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMyriad View Post
Not justifying that bar in any sense, BUT it is some Ebay cheapo one....the real Sparco one has solid welds for the mounts, not pivots. Looks bad either way, but probably a lesser quality tubing used, and poor execution in design. Cage is the only way. Why be cheap, it's your life.

I don't htink it would have mattered what brand it was, pivot or no pivot Even if they are welded solid, a quality bolt won't shear like that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
Now I gotta go double check the wraps on my harness when i have a minute.
THat's a very good video...you'd be surprised how many people at track days have their stuff wrapped wrong...it's just crazy. They also have a nice guide on their website as well that we hand out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
I wanna know why the passenger was ejected? Those 4/5 points arnt gonna do you a lot of good if they are worn slacked. And when your body slams against the harnesses that were slacked, its gonna pull on the seats, mounting points, and harness bar a lot harder then if everything was snugged and your body wasnt allowed to go into motion.
While there has got to bemore, in the same respect, a violent crash on track wouldn't be any worse (figure speeds are usually 100+ mph too)...I think harness bar, plus lack of improper securing into the car didn't help either. I mean who honestly is going to strap in 10/10th's when street driving? Probably nobody. I know that even I couldn't stand wearing a harness properly on street, as you can't see 100% like you need too on the street.