Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #541
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Why are you guys not using SPL tie rod ends? You making them cheaper or something?

Just thought I'd share this speedhunters article on the Garage Ito R34. Coolest suspension design that I have seen pictures of:

CAR FEATURE>> GARAGE ITO WITH PROSTOCK GT-R - Speedhunters

I don't think SPLs tie rod ends will have enough adjustment for me. I am way lower then any rational grip driver and my LCAs are adjusted down, so I am fairly certain I need a good 3" of adjustment on my tie rod ends.

Which makes it pretty annoying trying to figure out what to do....which will more then likely be me getting new heim joints, misalignment spacers and running the same shank I have in the LCA....as well as drilling the taper out on the spindle. Since I have the drill bit for the taper already it shouldn't be more then....90-100 bucks plus getting the shank that attaches the inner and outer tie rods rethreaded to accept the 5/8th rod end.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #542
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post

Any opinions on this? I've only seen the washer type spacers like what SPL sells. Apparently you only use 1 of these on the passenger side.

Do you guys that use modded knuckles use steering spacers as well?
Yes, most are running spacers.

Though I wouldn't run those particular ones bolt on spacers. You should go with the Drift Motion ones being as how they correct the tie rod from over extending.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #543
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
I don't think SPLs tie rod ends will have enough adjustment for me. I am way lower then any rational grip driver and my LCAs are adjusted down, so I am fairly certain I need a good 3" of adjustment on my tie rod ends.

Which makes it pretty annoying trying to figure out what to do....which will more then likely be me getting new heim joints, misalignment spacers and running the same shank I have in the LCA....as well as drilling the taper out on the spindle. Since I have the drill bit for the taper already it shouldn't be more then....90-100 bucks plus getting the shank that attaches the inner and outer tie rods rethreaded to accept the 5/8th rod end.
Wow, that's pretty nuts. I was tucking 15" tires and the SPL ends put my tie rods parallel with the ground. Have you spaced your LCA more than it is in the pictures I posted in the OP? Because SPL ends would put the tie rods about parallel with those.

Quote:
Any opinions on this? I've only seen the washer type spacers like what SPL sells. Apparently you only use 1 of these on the passenger side.

Do you guys that use modded knuckles use steering spacers as well?
As far as those spacers go, I don't see why they wouldn't work, although just using one sounds dumb to me, as the steering rack is centered and that would throw it off.

I think what those are for is basically if you need a longer tie rod because of the angle your knuckles can go to. You can only space the tie rods out so far.

Yes, the driftworks ones correct for overcentering, which seems like a better option.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #544
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Driftworks ones look scary though, because they use a bolt there...

I dunno, didn't someone say those spacers kept failing on the Driftworks cars?
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #545
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:

As far as those spacers go, I don't see why they wouldn't work, although just using one sounds dumb to me, as the steering rack is centered and that would throw it off.
You have to re-center the rack after installing that spacer.

Those driftworks pieces do scare me.... definitely don't want something like that to fail.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #546
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
That's pretty dumb. I'd rather have spacers I install and can at least drive the car to the alignment shop without having to hold the wheel sideways.

Quote:
Those driftworks pieces do scare me.... definitely don't want something like that to fail.

No no no, the URAS ones have broken before.

I'm betting that's an extremely high-grade bolt in there, and it has a ton of support. I can't see it ever breaking. They use them on their S15 drift car, which is a BEAST.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #547
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Wow, that's pretty nuts. I was tucking 15" tires and the SPL ends put my tie rods parallel with the ground. Have you spaced your LCA more than it is in the pictures I posted in the OP? Because SPL ends would put the tie rods about parallel with those.

I think what those are for is basically if you need a longer tie rod because of the angle your knuckles can go to. You can only space the tie rods out so far.

Yes, the driftworks ones correct for overcentering, which seems like a better option.

Would you care to post pictures?

Either way I can build my own for cheaper then paying $250 bucks for SPLs, and it'll be with bigger/crazier/more adjustable tie rod ends.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #548
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
I still don't get it...

Why would you install it only on one side?

Wouldn't it make it so like, you can turn like 2.5 turns to one side and maybe like 2 turns only on the other side?

That is just way too weird... It's not working in my head....
Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #549
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:

Either way I can build my own for cheaper then paying $250 bucks for SPLs, and it'll be with bigger/crazier/more adjustable tie rod ends.
Blast, they were on my old car, and my hard drive fried a little while ago. Sorry.

If you can do it, then I guess just go for it.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #550
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:

Making tie rod ends isn't hard when just drilling the spindle out to 5/8". I had the stuff to make mine, just ended up getting tired of too many projects and got the SPL ones. Not saying they aren't quality pieces, but there is a pretty significant profit margin there... So yes, you can make the stuff yourself with some drill bits, taps and a saw.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #551
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Yeah I ordered:

2 - Mid West Control 3/4-16 chrome molly teflon race heim joints
2- 3/4-16 jam nuts
2- 3/4 to 5/8 high misalignment spacers
2- 5/8 Speedway Chevy taper long ball joint shanks

So far the total is ~80 bucks, I am waiting on a shipping quote for the ball joint shanks which was like 6 bucks last time when I ordered 4 of them (they're the same ones I am using in my LCAs).

I just need to get my turnbuckle rethreaded to accept a 3/4-16 rod end instead of the 16M one. This should yield nearly indestructible outer tie rods with ~3.5-4" of bumpsteer adjustment.

I am going to order some spacers for the tie rods and LCAs right now from McMaster Carr. That shouldn't cost more then another 15 bucks or so.

I ordered the heim joints, misalignment spacers, and jam nuts from these guys: http://www.barnes4wd.com/index.php

They're only a state away from me and had awesome shipping when I ordered my 4 other misalignment spacers.

I'll post pictures of it when I get it all in.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #552
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Thanks for continuing to update us on the parts you pick up!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #553
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
mikerbike is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did this a few weeks ago.

It seems to work great. I cooled it in a bucket of sand, but I heard some guys still break them. I made another pair with the spindles I took off the car. I'm definitely installing them on my second car, and making a third pair for when they do break.

I don't use rack spacers with these, but I still have the factory stops on the control arms.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #554
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
^What the hell is happening there
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #555
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Looks like the arm was cut and then rewelded to the bottom of the extension to compensate for bump steer as well as give a shorter steering ratio and greater angle.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #556
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Is that just one huge glob of weld...?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #557
Csomme
Zilvia FREAK!

Csomme is an unknown quantity at this point
Sometimes doing that works well. Welds wont always look pretty. Just hope they have enough penetration.
Csomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #558
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah, just cut, shortened and welded. I Heard they break still, even after cooling them slowly and what not. I'm willing to take that chance I guess.
2010 February « C’s Garage (but I actually heard about it from 326 Power)

A few pages back I mentioned that when I lowered my car it ruined the steering. This is a different S13, but it's about the same height and the steering is wonderful.

It's not just one gob of weld, but it is ugly for sure. The other pair I made were more pretty welds.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #559
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to timtiminy
very informative. thanks a bunch for posting this
timtiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #560
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
That spindle does not look like it will last long on a track
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #561
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Got my tie rod parts in!

These things are big as hell!

This is a comparison between my old shit-balls 16MX2.0 china heims and doo-doo bolt I was using to mock crap up. The bolt (which was the strongest one we could find) bent just by pushing the car on and off the trailer.

I am pretty sure the wall thickness of my turnbuckles will be too thin if I bore my current ones out from 16X2.0 to 3/4-16 so I will probably have to fork out another 100 bucks or so to get them done .

My cost on these heims and shanks shipped to me is 93 bucks...so not bad at all!

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #562
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Looks nice, but too much bump-steer adjustment is going to increase the chances of breaking the shank. Even Kuah@spl suggested not using all of the bump-steer adjustment spacers.

No?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #563
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

That shank is designed to be the ball joint/roll center adjuster on stock cars.

There isn't enough room to space it out any more then maybe 1/8th of an inch at most with those misalignment spacers. The ones I got for my LCAs are shorter and will allow me to space the shank up to about 1/2 inch.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #564
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
that looks awesome. Bring the knuckles by so i can re-drill them.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #565
SoSideways
Post Whore!

With that shallow of a taper, I wonder if it wouldn't be beneficial to just use a bolt there instead, that way the diameter will be bigger up there where it goes through the knuckles?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #566
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
We tried the bolt method and you can tell that just by rolling off the trailor into the garage it bent. The taper GM stud Im sure can stand the beatings he is going to put on it this year. We are doing alot of R&D on all the suspension mods we did to 95ka-turbo's car. Hopefully in a month or 2 we can report back as to how the car performs.

Danny
Old 03-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #567
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Yeah but you guys even mentioned that it was a doodoo bolt, and the part that's bent don't even look like it's M16?

I don't know.

I'm doing this also right now, using 5/8" grade 8 bolts, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #568
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
That spindle does not look like it will last long on a track
I don't go out on the track. Just grassroots drift events. I have an event on the 21st. I'll report back if it breaks and I die.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #569
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Yeah but you guys even mentioned that it was a doodoo bolt, and the part that's bent don't even look like it's M16?

I don't know.

I'm doing this also right now, using 5/8" grade 8 bolts, so we'll see how it goes.
The shank at the skinniest part on mine is 5/8". I think the other bolt was grade 8, definitely not the right size though.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #570
zenkifem
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
zenkifem is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
where did you get them 95ka-turbo?

they look legit. If you dont mind me asking how much did they cost?
zenkifem is offline   Reply With Quote