Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
MJenkins1101
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
MJenkins1101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
S14 Wont start I'm stumped

I've gone through as many pages of the search as Zilvia will allow, and I have not found my solution.

Everything was perfectly fine until about 2 weeks ago then out of nowhere it the issue started. The only thing that changed from when everything was working fine to now, is I got an alarm installed, but it worked fine with the alarm for several days as well.

When I turn the key to start everything goes off, as it typically would, but I hear one audible click then nothing. I have a video of me trying to crank it I will upload it tomorrow, so you can see what I mean.

Onto what I have done. I replaced the starter, replaced the ignition switch, replaced the battery, and replaced the battery ground.

It's a swapped car that never needed the clutch to be down to start.

Any ideas helpful tips or confirmation that I'm not crazy would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help in advance.

I think I should remove the alarm and go from there, but I did not install the alarm, and I don't want to mess anything up anymore than it is already.

EDIT: It is a KA-T.
MJenkins1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does this alarm have an ignition interrupt? If so, it could be the relay.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
Most aftermarket alarms have a toggle switch to disable them. If you can ask your installer if/where they installed it. If not look by the brain of the alarm, more often than not located by the driver side kick panel and or steering column area. Hope this info is helpful.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check your grounds.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Davidjh

Davidjh is an unknown quantity at this point
^ Check grounds . I picked up my 240sx after the swap and 5 miles away from the shop I went to get gas. Once I turned the key on after refueling seemed to have a surge of voltage for a quick second then no power after that . Grabbed a test light and figured after they relocated the battery there was paint on the ground. Scrapped on the paint and she has no more issues .
Davidjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
MJenkins1101
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I will check out the alarm system out when I get off tonight. Hopefully it is easy enough for a cave man to do it.

The grounds seem to be good since I redid the main ground on the battery. I am thinking about adding a couple grounds to the engine to increase the strength there. The battery is relocated to the trunk, so I don't know if that is affecting the grounds up front.

Also, I checked the fuses, but did not think about the relay. where is the ignition relay?
Old 02-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
240PETER

240PETER is an unknown quantity at this point
SR

i literally just had this problem. turned out to be the aftermarket alarm relay.
240PETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
MJenkins1101
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240PETER View Post
i literally just had this problem. turned out to be the aftermarket alarm relay.
That's good news. I am really hoping that is the issue, and I'm hoping it is an easy one to solve. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Find out where they tapped the alarm for 12v, could be an issue with the source or connection. There are a lot of threads with the one click start issue, and it's often tied to inadequate voltage at the starter solenoid.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
S14kouki805
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
S14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud ofS14kouki805 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateirving View Post
Find out where they tapped the alarm for 12v, could be an issue with the source or connection. There are a lot of threads with the one click start issue, and it's often tied to inadequate voltage at the starter solenoid.
That's what mine turned out to be, I wound up have a relay installed directly to the starter. Fires up every time now.
S14kouki805 is offline   Reply With Quote