Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
AN fitting question for the gurus

Okay, I am ditching my Nismo FPR for an Aeromotive external mount unit, and have a few questions regarding proper sealing with AN fittings.

To start, I am running this FPR:

All 3 of the larger ports are -6AN ORB ports (supposedly REQUIRE an o-ring).

The small front port is 1/8" NPT.....I am going to screw my FP gauge right in there with a small bit of thread tape.

Also, I am going to use the SARD FPR fuel rail adaptor:

This is also 1/8" NPT.........for this, I purchased a 90* 1/8"NPT Male-to--6AN male elbow:

http://racepartsolutions.com/proddet...p?prod=FRA4822

So, off of this elbow, I will have a -6AN female-female union.

This leaves me with 3 -6AN female locations, each of which I want to attach a barbed fitting to.

However, the 2 on the Aeromotive unit are designated as "ORB" ports.

I already purchased 3 -6AN-to-3/8" barbed fittings, that look like this:

Pipe & Hose Adapters, Hose Barb to A-N Adapter, FRA4841 | RacePartSolutions.com

So the big question is, for the 2 ports on the FPR that are called "ORB" ports, can I just thread in the -6AN barbed fittings (from the above link) with a -6AN o-ring and call it a day, or do I have to run a special ORB fitting and then the barbed AN fitting?

Thanks....I know this seems simple, but because there are so many different types of fittings, it really isn't always clear which ones seal with which ones.....when is an O-ring required, and when can you just safely thread to AN fittings together (granted they are the same size of course)?

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Yes, you can just thread in a -6 AN flared fitting into the o-ring ports with an o-ring and it will seal. Make sure the o-ring is fuel compatible. The only caveat to that is if the threaded -6 o-ring ports are very shallow you might run into interference. O-ring AN fittings look just like "regular" flared ones except the flare is missing and it's just flat there, so they are a bit shorter. I'm thinking you'll be fine though.

As far as the female-female union off the SARD adapter, why not do a -6 AN line from the NPT to AN fitting, then put a -6 AN union on the FPR? Then it's all secure and AN. Shouldn't cost that much more than what you're proposing to do.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i would get the oringed fittings and use these if you arent doing SS lines
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AER%2DFBM1532&N=7 00+306617+115&autoview=sku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Yes, you can just thread in a -6 AN flared fitting into the o-ring ports with an o-ring and it will seal. Make sure the o-ring is fuel compatible. The only caveat to that is if the threaded -6 o-ring ports are very shallow you might run into interference. O-ring AN fittings look just like "regular" flared ones except the flare is missing and it's just flat there, so they are a bit shorter. I'm thinking you'll be fine though.

As far as the female-female union off the SARD adapter, why not do a -6 AN line from the NPT to AN fitting, then put a -6 AN union on the FPR? Then it's all secure and AN. Shouldn't cost that much more than what you're proposing to do.

That's a good idea....I think maybe in the future I may try this, but for now I am gonna stick with the barbed fittings and standard rubber fuel injection line.

Thanks for the post, you always help a lot.

Also, the ports on the FPR are quite deep, so I don't think that running of room with the threads will be a problem.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote