Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #31
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftmark View Post
If you are piecing your oil cooler "kit" together, then what kind of thermostat does everyone get?
there are a few to choose from. check summit racing, BUT most of those (ie earls, permacool etc.) dont offer filter mount as in they are stand alone, which will add up to more fittings the greddy one i have is thermostat and filter re-location all in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #32
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir View Post
Looks a lot like my setup. Only I used bulkhead fittings, to get the lines not to rub throught against the body/radiator.

Tomei block, Setrab cooler, -8an.
i wanted to use the bulkhead fittings but then i have to get a total of 4 more -10 fittings, i dont have it pictured but i have an aluminum bracket my cousin made for me to hold the lines, i think anplumbing sell them "line seperators" the one i have is similar but has a base to mount it.

Why did u use -8 line? tomei adapter is -10

Quote:

Quote:
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #33
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
What about this setup?

GReddy Oil Cooler Adaptor W/Thermostat 12401123

+

-10 line

+

cooler

?
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #34
ZipTiedCoupe
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
ZipTiedCoupe is making a name for him/her selfZipTiedCoupe is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone car to explain the duct tape method?
ZipTiedCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #35
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
duct tape...covers the cooler...no air through fins...no cool
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #36
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #37
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
is not running a t-stat really that bad?

i could be wrong but it doesnt seem to me like a simple oil cooler setup is going to stop your car from reaching operating temp or anything. is should be ok to run the oil through the cooler full time, kind of the same theory as having your E-fans running all the time, which i do. it may take longer to warm up, but that should be the only downside?
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #38
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGrain View Post

i could be wrong but it doesnt seem to me like a simple oil cooler setup is going to stop your car from reaching operating temp or anything. is should be ok to run the oil through the cooler full time, kind of the same theory as having your E-fans running all the time, which i do. it may take longer to warm up, but that should be the only downside?
I was just thinking about that... Someone wanna chime in about this??
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #39
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz View Post
What about this setup?

GReddy Oil Cooler Adaptor W/Thermostat 12401123

+

-10 line

+

cooler

?
it will work but no filter re-location. if you are planing on relocation the filter dont get that.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #40
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
i dont run any thermos
so dont look at me
but my car is track duty only so its a different story

if i go street status w/ the next s13, no thermo on oil cooler, ,but ill run a water thermo again.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #41
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
word, i dont plan on running one for the cooler.

btw, lots of GREAT info in this thread, big thanks to everyone who contributed!
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #42
Firestorm
Zilvia Junkie

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Firestorm
i run a 19 row mocal oil cooler, greddy oil filter relocation kit and a mocal inline thermostat. works awesome, constant temps around 180°F even on the track.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #43
efrain240sx
Leaky Injector

efrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enough
I got a simple question, How many quarts of oil are you guys using now with the oil cooler set up? Thanks
efrain240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 AM   #44
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrain240sx View Post
I got a simple question, How many quarts of oil are you guys using now with the oil cooler set up? Thanks

It just takes forever the first time you fill up the system, like bleeding a coolant system (just with no air pockets)

my setup:

tomei block
greddy relocation/thermostat
about 4 ft of -10 line
Earlys 19 row intercooler.

(pic for reference, and routing ideas: don't mind the mess...this was last summer when I was still putting everything back together.)
Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 AM   #45
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
word, i dont plan on running one for the cooler.

btw, lots of GREAT info in this thread, big thanks to everyone who contributed!
whether you choose to run a tstat depends on various things.

most track only guys find them unnecessary since once it's up to operating temp it's going to have the piss beat out of it until it's cool off time

But if you drive it daily, short trips, or in the cold (OP from wisconsin!!!), you really should run a thermostat. Oil coolers are very effective at cooling oil...so it's gonna take a long time to get the oil up to optimum temp after startup if it's always cycling through the cooler. You dont' want cold thick ass oil as it's not the best at lubricating all the vitals
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 AM   #46
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
here's another reason:

(copied from greddy's product info)

the most important part of this is the built in Thermostat. This allows for quick engine warm up and maintains a safe oil pressure upon startup. Without using a thermostat, some oil coolers take a while to fill up and build pressure giving longer duration to get proper oil circulation within the motor. The thermostat open temperature ranges from 71deg~85deg Celcius.
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #47
dmax_silvia_s13
Leaky Injector

dmax_silvia_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to dmax_silvia_s13
I am looking at EarlsOil Filter By-Pass Adapters and I am wondering does the redtop sr20 use a 65mm or 69.2 mm O-Ring.
And does that inline filter that was mentioned earlier work any good?
Also, my oil cooler has -6 fittings and i see you guys are using -10. Is -6 too small to run for the lines or should I use -8 or -10 lines to the cooler and use expanders on the cooler for the bigger lines?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #48
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

way too small imo

-6 is what i use on the fuel lines! hahaha
and my PS setup
use that cooler for your PS

go AT LEAST -8 imo
Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 AM   #49
dmax_silvia_s13
Leaky Injector

Haha Well its a fluidyne "valve spring cooler" (FLUIDYNE - High Performance - Radiators and Oil Coolers).
I would use it as a ps cooler but that kinda seems excessive to me.
I could use this and use a -6 female to -8 male expander on the oil cooler and run -8 lines.
I saw you talking about that inline filter. Have you heard anything about it?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #50
dmax_silvia_s13
Leaky Injector

And another major noob question here.. When I buy hose what else do I have get to attach fittings to the hose?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #51
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

ps its awesome for
-6 is way too small, imo

u have to assemble it yoruself
if u cant, pay a shop
otherwise u can blow the shit apart and kill your engine (no oil pressure)
Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #52
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Based on the recommendations of a few "respected" people (Aaron here and Hung @ Baker Precision, among others), I pieced together a system at Baker for less than $130, with filter relocation and a Earls 8row -10 an cooler core - no thermo. Mounted the filter on the inner frame rail right in front of the motor and the core underneath the passenger headlight above the intercooler piping - used less than 8ft of hose.

I don't run an oil temp gauge, but I do run an oil pressure gauge (in addition to water temp and boost), and that's how I'm able to tell when the car's fully warmed up. At startup, oil pressure jumps to 60psi or so (normal) right away, so I'm not worried about the extra "pressure" the thermo supposedly helps with, but it does take a while to fully warm up (I consider it warmed up when the oil pressure drops below 20psi at idle) - maybe 5 mins idling in the garage or 3-4mins of idling around town.

I wouldn't say it's dangerous, but it's not foolproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
way too small imo

-6 is what i use on the fuel lines! hahaha
and my PS setup
use that cooler for your PS

go AT LEAST -8 imo
-6???? Do they even make cores that are -6?? Maybe like a 2-row P/S cooler core... Like "Father" said, go -8 at least.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #53
dmax_silvia_s13
Leaky Injector

Well like I said I can get the expanders on the cooler and run -8 lines.
Yeah I know the lines have to be cut and the fittings put it but Im just wondering what do I need to get with it. Just the econo clamps they sell or how do you do it?

And yeah fluidyne makes a -6 core the link is above to it.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #54
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

your setup sucks for oil cooling
no one can help u now. your not listening to anything.
go 1/2 ass it like you want to.
its only your engine. nothing important.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #55
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ok, i got a qeustion... If i get an adaptor for an oil cooler do i have to remove my intake mani to install it?? Or is there room.
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #56
dmax_silvia_s13
Leaky Injector

I never knew you were saying dont use it. I thought you meant its just bad having -6 lines.
I was kinda thinking its pretty small compared to other oil coolers so I guess I was right.
So Ill either not use it or use it for power steering.
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #57
240sxvaj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
240sxvaj is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
good info on the oil coolers

thanks ya!
240sxvaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #58
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

theres room to install it w/o taking off man

dmax silvia
ebay for a -8 cooler
nascar used ones are wicked cheap.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:54 AM   #59
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Hey dousan, so why is the greddy stuff sucky? Hows the RX7 oil cooler?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #60
dmax_silvia_s13
Leaky Injector

Yeah Ill prob just get an Earls -10 cooler!
Thanks for the help Dousan.