Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
take pics when your wheels fly off
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #32
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard92884 View Post
I bought some off ebay, mine work fine except that 1 stud was missing and that hole was bigger than the others so I still have to find a stud that fits.
oh yeah, thats not a big deal...................

except thats its just FUCKING DEFECTIVE. Who the fuck pays money for something that has a missing stud and the bore isnt drilled properly? jesus... its your wheel bearing, NOT AN ITEM YOU WANT TO SKIMP ON.

I love it, I can just see some douchebag sitting at his PC saying "man... this 4-lug shit sucks, my life sucks. I cant fit anything hardcore in 4-lug. I'm going 5-lug, but I'm going to do it budget-style... and once i'm 5-lug, I'm gonna drop some MAJOR coin on some badassed 5-lug wheels... like rotas, or better yet... SPORTMAX! fuck yeah"

buying these hubs with a missing stud where the bore was drilled incorrectly is like going out with a dick who just happens to have a dick. no, its not good and no, its not acceptable under any fucking circumstance.

if you're broke, go pull some parts off of a Z32 NA or S14 SE, period.

edit: my favorite thing about fly-by-night sellers, regardless if they are on ebay or anywhere else.. shit like this:
Item location: Fast Shipping, United States

wtf? thats not a location, thats bullshit. i hate sellers that have no location, no phone, no address.. nothing. your hub flies off? fuck you, thats what they tell you. at least when you buy from someone who has a shop, location, address... you can sue the fucker. good luck suing someone who lives on mars.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #33
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
buy these redrill the fronts and redrill your rotors bam 5 lug swap for ~$200
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #34
boske
Zilvia Member

boske is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
i've bought and sold those hubs before... i had to warranty a few sets.

one of them the bearing blew out ASAP and on another set the actual hub cracked.

this was on a pretty serious LS1 S13 but that shouldnt really matter.... these things WILL break... hopefully its just the bearing though and you can replace that with an OEM grade one that costs like $150 each.
Do you know if these are the same as Ichiba hubs? I paid around $250 for my ichiba front hubs. Ebay now has front hubs for 145 shipped, they all look the same to me. If this guy is sending out some Ichiba hubs that pretty much confirms it I guess...
boske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #35
YoungGun
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
YoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfectionYoungGun is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I've had some ebay front hubs on my car for about a half year now.

No problems so far.
YoungGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #36
OverBoost
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
OverBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OverBoost
All hubs are NOT created equal. The cheap no-name sets on eBay are usually made from a milder, cheap steal being used in China to create all sorts of CHEAP metal products. The Ichiba hubs are quality because they are made of a higher quality and stronger metal. Yes they cost a bit more, but I know from several good sources that they are the real deal, they also use OEM bearings. Do some more research on them.

Also, the bearings used in the ebay cheap hubs are NOT very good quality. They do not use OEM bearings. Do you REALLY want to skimp on one of the most important parts of your car?? A part that is critical to keeping the wheels of your car safely connected to the rest or your vehicle. This is not a place to try and save a few bucks. Imagine going around a corner one day and the hub and bearing fail on you. You will wreck your car and it will not be pretty.

Your best bet would be to get used Nissan hubs from an S14/Z32 and getting new OEM bearings pressed in.

In the end, it's your car and you can do whatever you want. But you will probably learn the hard way that there are certain parts on a car you can cheap out on, but this is not one of them.
OverBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #37
boske
Zilvia Member

boske is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverBoost View Post
All hubs are NOT created equal. The cheap no-name sets on eBay are usually made from a milder, cheap steal being used in China to create all sorts of CHEAP metal products. The Ichiba hubs are quality because they are made of a higher quality and stronger metal. Yes they cost a bit more, but I know from several good sources that they are the real deal, they also use OEM bearings. Do some more research on them.

Also, the bearings used in the ebay cheap hubs are NOT very good quality. They do not use OEM bearings. Do you REALLY want to skimp on one of the most important parts of your car?? A part that is critical to keeping the wheels of your car safely connected to the rest or your vehicle. This is not a place to try and save a few bucks. Imagine going around a corner one day and the hub and bearing fail on you. You will wreck your car and it will not be pretty.

Your best bet would be to get used Nissan hubs from an S14/Z32 and getting new OEM bearings pressed in.

In the end, it's your car and you can do whatever you want. But you will probably learn the hard way that there are certain parts on a car you can cheap out on, but this is not one of them.
What source are you getting this info from? If you do a little search on zilvia you'll find lots of people complaining about the ichiba bearings going bad or being bad out of the box. My car has been sitting since I installed mine so I can't comment on the quality, they seemed alright to me. From looking at pictures, the ebay hubs look identicle, they also have the same product discription. I'm willing to bet the difference is the nice red box they stick the Ichiba hubs into. I really didn't plan on having issues with brand new hubs, my factory 20 year old bearings with 220k miles were in great shape. I probably should have held onto them, I could use the bearings when my new ones are shot...
boske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #38
Howard92884
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Howard92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Howard92884
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
oh yeah, thats not a big deal...................

except thats its just FUCKING DEFECTIVE. Who the fuck pays money for something that has a missing stud and the bore isnt drilled properly? jesus... its your wheel bearing, NOT AN ITEM YOU WANT TO SKIMP ON.

I love it, I can just see some douchebag sitting at his PC saying "man... this 4-lug shit sucks, my life sucks. I cant fit anything hardcore in 4-lug. I'm going 5-lug, but I'm going to do it budget-style... and once i'm 5-lug, I'm gonna drop some MAJOR coin on some badassed 5-lug wheels... like rotas, or better yet... SPORTMAX! fuck yeah"

buying these hubs with a missing stud where the bore was drilled incorrectly is like going out with a dick who just happens to have a dick. no, its not good and no, its not acceptable under any fucking circumstance.

if you're broke, go pull some parts off of a Z32 NA or S14 SE, period.

edit: my favorite thing about fly-by-night sellers, regardless if they are on ebay or anywhere else.. shit like this:
Item location: Fast Shipping, United States

wtf? thats not a location, thats bullshit. i hate sellers that have no location, no phone, no address.. nothing. your hub flies off? fuck you, thats what they tell you. at least when you buy from someone who has a shop, location, address... you can sue the fucker. good luck suing someone who lives on mars.
Who the fuck said anything about a wheel bearing? I said one hole was too big. The advertisement said pressed on OEM bearings, looked like any other 5 lug hub. Had the advertisement said 1 hole is too big I wouldn't have bought them. But I did buy them and the guy was asking about them so I told him my experience. You live and you learn no need to get your panties in a bunch.
Howard92884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #39
qwerth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
qwerth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
sorry to bring up such an old thread

but had a question to the people that had these on their cars and i wanted to see
how these are holding up?

im in the need of 5 lug and leaning to getting everything new from west covina nissan
since it looks like they have the cheapest price for oem

$491.24
Nissan OEM 5-lug Hub Conversion Components - 240SX S14
qwerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #40
Drift_86
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (60)
Drift_86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Hey I bought this! They are awesome! I been using them for over a year and been in 3 accident and bearing are still good, not only that they come with warranty. Here a picture of one of the wheels when I crash.

Want to roll fenders, custom gauge pod pm me
Drift_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #41
qwerth
Nissanaholic!

damn nice man pretty good that they still held up
Old 11-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #42
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
i have ichiba bullshit but plan on going to oem some day

ichiba is like the cheap "name brand" and they still have their problems

car seems to have wobble similar to that of an imbalanced wheel, even though its not the wheels

bearings make some wierd noises some times, as well, but those can be replaced with oem

its all up to you. if you want 300$ worth of quality control vs 800$ worth of quality control, with the assurance that this shit won't fail and if it does Nissan will probably cover you, then go right ahead
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #43
qwerth
Nissanaholic!

^ i honestly thing that its a hit or miss situation with these aftermarket hubs
Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #44
TrustS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
TrustS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I bought these for my new project car.. they are holding up really well so far. In fact, the rears came stamped Ichiba on them..
TrustS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #45
unreal-
Zilvia Junkie

unreal- is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerth View Post

but had a question to the people that had these on their cars and i wanted to see

im in the need of 5 lug and leaning to getting everything new from west covina nissan

$491.24
Get them from west covina. I got mine from thenismoshop, which is under west covina iirc. I had done the research, and did NOT want to take the chance with ebay hubs. as othrs have said, it is a very important part of your car, dont cheap out on it.

Think of it this way: when ever someone mentions aftermarket hubs, the first question is "how long do they last" or "are they quality". You
never hear that about oem hubs. If they have lasted 10+ years, without failure, why not?
unreal- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #46
venom2034
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
venom2034 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I bought all 4 from ebay. I was scared about buying a product off of ebay, especially for them being rotors but so far I haven't had a single problem. It's been about 6 months since i got them. I have drifted and numerous 130mph runs. Furthermore they see daily usage on nyc shitty roads. To this day when I lift up the car and try to shake the wheel for bearing malfunctions, I have no problems. Super solid. But of course this is only my experience. Maybe I got a set out of a decent manufacturing run. Btw they're the 5 lug s13 converion hubs.
venom2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #47
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i bought the fronts off ebay, they were advertised as "oem bearings". about 3000 daily miles and a few track days, no problems yet. looked to be the exact same as my ichiba rears that were purchased from westcovina. (probably all came from the same place anyways )
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #48
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by towlie View Post
i bought the fronts off ebay, they were advertised as "oem bearings". about 3000 daily miles and a few track days, no problems yet. looked to be the exact same as my ichiba rears that were purchased from westcovina. (probably all came from the same place anyways )
Yeah they're advertised as OEM bearings, but obviously they're aftermarket....however, if they go bad, OEM nissan bearings should go right in.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #49
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by va240dude View Post
Yeah they're advertised as OEM bearings, but obviously they're aftermarket....however, if they go bad, OEM nissan bearings should go right in.
it is. the ONLY aftermarket hubs i would ever buy new is Attain
Quote:
^ i honestly thing that its a hit or miss situation with these aftermarket hubs
this
hell, even my stock bearings were quieter than the ichiba trash, and they have like 200k+ on them

i can't complain though, i knew what i was buying
Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #50
satek
Leaky Injector

satek is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought these over a year ago and installed them 3 months ago..They fit like a glove and holding up to DD just fine. I greased the bearings up before install and por15'd them for good measure

satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #51
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The cheapest way to do it is to buy a pair of z32 rears and just redrill the front hubs (yes it can be done). But if you do decide to buy some aftermarket hubs make sure you swap your old bearings (after re-greasing them obviously) into the new ones. As far as I know the bearings are the problem in those aftermarket dealios.
Or dont, its your decision.
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #52
EhrikETFG
Zilvia Addict

EhrikETFG is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowvia View Post
The cheapest way to do it is to buy a pair of z32 rears and just redrill the front hubs (yes it can be done). But if you do decide to buy some aftermarket hubs make sure you swap your old bearings (after re-greasing them obviously) into the new ones. As far as I know the bearings are the problem in those aftermarket dealios.
Or dont, its your decision.
I dont really see how a hub could fail.. the bearing obviously could. if i were going to buy these i would just run them with the noname bearings till/when they get dead, then just press in my old oem ones..
EhrikETFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #53
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
it is. the ONLY aftermarket hubs i would ever buy new is Attain

this
hell, even my stock bearings were quieter than the ichiba trash, and they have like 200k+ on them

i can't complain though, i knew what i was buying
Yeah I can get attains here in Japan but they are pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhrikETFG View Post
I dont really see how a hub could fail.. the bearing obviously could. if i were going to buy these i would just run them with the noname bearings till/when they get dead, then just press in my old oem ones..
Yeah I have more faith in the hub than the wheel studs or bearing. Seems like there are enough people running aftermarket hubs with no problems except the bearings. I'm going to run mine until the bearings go and replace them with oem goodness
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #54
homeslicej2
Zilvia Member

homeslicej2 is making a name for him/her selfhomeslicej2 is making a name for him/her self
If I were cheaping out, I would have a machinist re-drill (no dewalt & bench vise stuff here) the fronts before buying eBay or Ichiba hubs. I trust the stock steel more. Personally, I will swap over to an OEM (yes, I know it's pricey) S14 or Attain set-up before even re-drilling bc OEM bearings last a long, long time. I will not cheap out on wheel hubs/bearings. I have seen the result of failed bearings, and it is NOT pretty. Imagine your wheel flying off of (or seizing up on) the car when the bearing/s catastrophically fail. Your entire car will be severely damaged and you could easily be KILLED. How is saving a few hundred dollars on hubs smarter than paying several thousand in damages through buying a new car/wheels/suspension or going to an early grave? Also important to note, when installing wheel hubs, please make sure you torque them to spec per chassis/manufacturer. If you don't, you WILL ruin the hub & bearing. Just ask Dave Coleman as he addressed it with Project Silvia on Motoiq.
homeslicej2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #55
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ i was going to write the same thing.

ARP studs are nice but I wouldn't trust a suspect wheel bearing, its just too risky.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #56
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
How many people have actually had their wheel fly off due to bad bearings?

Usually they just make a growling noise when they go bad.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #57
homeslicej2
Zilvia Member

homeslicej2 is making a name for him/her selfhomeslicej2 is making a name for him/her self
^My mother's 85 olds cutlass as we came off of the interstate (I was in the car and she was a single mother of 3 and didn't have $ for the repair), a former co-worker's 99 GMC Sonoma (I was in the truck when it happened), and a random sedan (don't remember make/model) across the intersection from me at Robin Rd & Hwy 92 in Acworth, GA right at the Quiktrip. They rolled up to the stoplight and the wheel fell off, it fell off. I watched it and talked to them afterwards. I was in the vehicle in two of these three examples and can tell you, it's a sphincter puckering event along with massive vehicle damage. Yes, they make a growling/howling noise as they start to go bad, but crappy, cheap bearings can catastrophically fail without any warning in a heartbeat. 100th post ftw.
homeslicej2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #58
nightsauce
Zilvia Addict

nightsauce is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nightsauce
Quote:

$491.24

Since you're bringing up an old thread, hailandkill mentioned that I got them. Its been 3 years now. I've gotten into two front end accidents. First was a curb at the edge of the highway at about 60mph (got cut off and spun).
Bent everything, including the strut, and subframe. Bearing held up.

Second was at 25mph into a curb. Front bearing ate it. I'm still rockin my rear ichibas tho. No problems with the rears.

First accident

Second
Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #59
HPKMotorsports3
Zilvia Addict

HPKMotorsports3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rockauto.com has all oem parts like timken/national for warehouse prices... got my 300zx caliper for $50 a pop... give them a look
HPKMotorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #60
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by va240dude View Post

yeah.

I greez'd up the bearings real good with some oem from nissan wheel bearing grease (free from a local dealership)

i still have my 4 lug hubs/bearings lying around incase something go wrong. honeslty i doubt my wheels will fall off, ill notice if a bearing starts going out
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote