Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #121
kuruptR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
kuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to kuruptR
shinhed, he just posted in the post above yours: hes using black leather.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #122
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
SinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinhed View Post

You do know they make textured plastic paint?
Looks more "factory" than truck bed liner.
In my experience the textured plastic paint isnt as durable as the truck bed liner stuff.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #123
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Great lookin 'glass dash! When you were fitting everything in there (dash support/steering column) how did you hold the "instrument panel molding" where you wanted it to go? Did you fab up some brackets real fast or something?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 06-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #124
dangermouse73
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
dangermouse73 is making a name for him/her selfdangermouse73 is making a name for him/her selfdangermouse73 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to dangermouse73
Rep this dude...sick build!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #125
gregfarz78
Zilvia Member

gregfarz78 is on a distinguished road
wow man that looks great for your first time fiberglassing, can't wait to see the finished product
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #126
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

SinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Great lookin 'glass dash! When you were fitting everything in there (dash support/steering column) how did you hold the "instrument panel molding" where you wanted it to go? Did you fab up some brackets real fast or something?
Well I thought I could super glue it down enough to keep it in place, yeah that didnt work out well for me. So I ran screws down though the places where it overlapped to hold it in place till I got it home to work on it, then it was gorilla glue and fiberglass ftw!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #127
shift_SRDETuser

shift_SRDETuser is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 this will be a whole new thing -- what you should call it is a 350SX or what... nice work
Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #128
JDM671
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
JDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDM671
YOU ARE CRAZY!!!! +1

Touke <3
Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #129
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterSntra91 View Post
In my experience the textured plastic paint isnt as durable as the truck bed liner stuff.
that and the only good looking textured paint is from SEM and is around 20 bucks a can.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #130
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_SRDETuser View Post
+1 this will be a whole new thing -- what you should call it is a 350SX or what... nice work
Na just plain Silvia but with the newer S15 badges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM671 View Post
YOU ARE CRAZY!!!! +1
lol thanks I am just getting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
that and the only good looking textured paint is from SEM and is around 20 bucks a can.
? Interesting, I was thinking about sanding that piece down one more time because I can see some spots I didnt get, I am a bit of a perfectionist, so Ill try that stuff instead of the truck bed liner.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #131
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

My dash goes a little something like this.....

Well I finished sanding down the dash, went to lowes and bought a spray gun and some contact adhesive and went to town turned out a like so:

Still has some loose ends I have to glue down but you get the picture.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #132
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
if you want some more info on textured interior paint, search "broadfield" he did some really nice oem looking interior panels using SEM products.

edit: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...ght=broadfield

...and even more of an edit. : http://www.yourautotrim.com/semteco.html
Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #133
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
if you want some more info on textured interior paint, search "broadfield" he did some really nice oem looking interior panels using SEM products.

edit: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...ght=broadfield

...and even more of an edit. : http://www.yourautotrim.com/semteco.html
Just checked it out looks great might have to do that.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #134
importantone
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
importantone has a spectacular aura aboutimportantone has a spectacular aura aboutimportantone has a spectacular aura aboutimportantone has a spectacular aura aboutimportantone has a spectacular aura aboutimportantone has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to importantone
man you're taking DIY to the next level... everything is looking good!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #135
Whitebugeye

Whitebugeye is on a distinguished road
God I love your ideas and are using them on my car
Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #136
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
Man this build is crazy I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #137
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Nice!!!! Man I can't wait to see this bad boy installed.

LSX Kouki Project, swap completed in Dec 09
Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #138
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for all the compliments guys!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #139
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Ok I tried the SEM coat on my 240sx/350z HVAC shroud, I am not completely happy with the results but it looks more factory textured than truck bed liner. To me it looks too flat, almost dark gray at times. So I think if I throw a matte clear over the top of it, it will give me the finish I am looking for. This way it wont be as flat as the SEM texture coating and not as shiny as the truck bed liner.

Oh and I tore the cover off my dash, my first time, I wasnt completely happy with. The second time around I will know where to start and I will have my camera handy so I can show you guys that want to know how to do it, do it.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #140
gregfarz78
Zilvia Member

gregfarz78 is on a distinguished road
The texture coating is just to give it the OEM like texture its not the finish coat, you need SEM color coat to finish it off

http://www.yourautotrim.com/semdye.html
Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #141
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfarz78 View Post
The texture coating is just to give it the OEM like texture its not the finish coat, you need SEM color coat to finish it off

http://www.yourautotrim.com/semdye.html
thought something wasnt right....thanks for clearing that up
Old 06-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #142
Pblesh85
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (48)
Pblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of lightPblesh85 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
your car is destined for fame if this keeps on going.

Im waiting for more pics and updates... lol

very nice, keep up the great work.

Do you suffer from vaginal dryness...
Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 PM   #143
BlueKpS13
Zilvia Member

BlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to allBlueKpS13 is a name known to all
Amazing craftsmanship, very nice, custom build.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #144
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
this build is freaking awesome!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 AM   #145
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblesh85 View Post
your car is destined for fame if this keeps on going.

Im waiting for more pics and updates... lol

very nice, keep up the great work.
Couldn't have said it better myself. You've definitely motivated me to 'glass my current S14 dash when I figure out where I want my gauges.

+rep to you.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 06-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #146
Lordrandall
Zilvia Member

Lordrandall is making a name for him/her selfLordrandall is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via ICQ to Lordrandall Send a message via AIM to Lordrandall Send a message via MSN to Lordrandall Send a message via Yahoo to Lordrandall
Sick as always man. Keep it up.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #147
SoloSilvia
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (36)
SoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud ofSoloSilvia has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Very Oringinal stuff man! Keep it up! Cant wait to see this car finished!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #148
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

My dash....part 2 (with write up)

Ok so the first time I did my dash I kinda rushed it which resulted in me not being happy with it. So I ripped the cover off and started over. This time I had my camera ready for those of you who wish to have some kind of direction when attempting to do this yourself.

I do warn you this is not an easy task. If you have any doubts of your personal skills do not attempt this.

The tools and material used:

Decent spray gun, weldwood contact cement, disposable paint brush, paint stick, and the material you wish to use on your dash, alot of it. Other items not pictured: air compressor, odorless mineral spirits, rags, razor blade and spray adhesive.

First thing, have PATIENCE this is in no way a easy task. TAKE YOUR TIME, if you rush you will not be pleased with the results. My dash has taken a period of three days to do.

Ok now best place to start is the curviest place on the dash as it can be the hardest to form. During this process there will be a lot of peeling up, stretching and putting back down until you get it right. The best way to tell the hard part is to stretch the material over the areas of concern and see how easily the material will take the form of the dash. I choose to start here:

Obviously none of you will have this PITA to mold unless your doing a dash like mine or a 350z dash. In this area I will use the disposable paint brush to apply the glue. The trick is to apply the glue sparingly and let it tack up a bit before trying to form the material into the target area. You want to stir up the glue really well with the paint stick:

Apply with a the brush as stated above and start forming the material, mine turned out like this:

I let that area sit over night, I used the cluter as a weight to hold it down:

That was day 1.

Day 2

I picked the cluster up off the dash to examine under it, not to bad some spots had lifted but its no big deal since those spots will never be seen. I then prepared to mold the top part of the dash which is the flatest. With the S14 dash or even the S13 dash I would recomend doing the bottom part before I do the top. Its trickier, and takes a little more time. It also allows you to have more movement with the material since the top part is free moving. Anyway back to the dash. I got out my paint gun and with the air compressor attached to it ready to go:

Poured the contact cement into it after I stirred it up once again. Peeled back the material all the way up to the point where the already glued down material starts:

Sprayed the full flat area, let it tack up and started stretching the material, making sure I got out all the wrinkles, looked like so when finished:

As you will see there are slits in the material, I did this with the razor blade to take some of the tension out of the stretched material to make it easier to work with. I used a leather alante. Its not real leather but it looks and feels like leather. Its just easier to work with and it wont dry out, shrink, or crack like leather. Its what they use in BMWs and such.

That was Day 2, and how it sits as of the moment.

Day 3

Tomorrow I will repeat the same process as day 2, just on the lower half. I will most likely let that sit over night then trim the excess material off and secure it to the back side with spray adhesive.

To clean your gun out dump some mineral spirits in the tank and shake it up, with some rags you can wipe out the inside of the tank because the cement will almost instantly turn into a gum like substance and is easily removed. I sprayed some of the mineral spirits through the gun to keep the tip from clogging. I would let the mineral spirits sit inside the canister that way it will keep the gun from clogging.

The mineral spirits is also great for clean up, and if your using a leather or a vinyl you wont have to worry about overspray on your material because it will come right off with the mineral spirits.

I hope this helps anyone thinking of tackling such a project. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #149
energy0uth
Zilvia Member

energy0uth is an unknown quantity at this point
great job....i am merely a leaky injector lol but glad to see this when I hop on. Indeed very creative and opened my mind up to big options on my vehicles. GOTTA DO YOUR OWN THING!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #150
nxpoweredsr20
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
nxpoweredsr20 is a jewel in the roughnxpoweredsr20 is a jewel in the roughnxpoweredsr20 is a jewel in the roughnxpoweredsr20 is a jewel in the roughnxpoweredsr20 is a jewel in the roughnxpoweredsr20 is a jewel in the roughnxpoweredsr20 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nxpoweredsr20
nice build man......where in cincy r u ? i just built a s14 and it should been on the road this weekend
Closed Thread