Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-14-2003, 08:49 PM   #1
kapowered

Trader Rating: (0)
kapowered is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rear end clunking

My 95' 240sx is making a clunking noise coming from somewhere in the rear of the car. It is mainly noticable at low speeds. Has anyone had a similar problem? I was told that it could be bushings,
kapowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2003, 08:59 PM   #2
deviousKA
Zilvia Junkie

deviousKA is making a name for him/her selfdeviousKA is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to deviousKA
check your driveline and carrier bushing. it could be your rear end, you should be able to tell because it would drive like hell. if not check your rear suspension bushings and/or ball joints. in other words climb under your car and check it all over, every bushing and part
deviousKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
kapowered

kapowered is an unknown quantity at this point
What is the carrier bushing?
kapowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
indysilvia

indysilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, it is worn out subframe bushings. I also had the same problem on my 1995, but purchased the Whiteline subframe spacers from pdmracing.com.

Now no more clunking when you shift or slow down. The bushings press the subframe up against the unibody and does not allow it to move, so like I said, your clunking will be gone. Really easy to install, too...like 30 minutes if you have the right tools...will probably need a breaker bar and you will definetly need a torque wrench.

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/suspensionbush.html --> scroll down to "KCA 349 Rear Nissan Sub-Frame Align and Lock Kit." This is what you want.
indysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
I installed the greg dupree subframe spoacers, and one of the bushings got smooshed out a bit to one side.. now my right rear of my car clunks hard over hard dips like man hole covers and stuff.. any time the rear has to drop suddenly..

I'm thinkin about upgrading to some Solid rear subframe bushings.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
bryfrase

bryfrase is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem in my 93 SE. When it first started I had stock driveline with Open diff. I have since installed 97 J30 LSD, One piece aluminum driveshaft, Nismo tranny mount, Energy suspension hyperflex kit, Nylon/plastic subframe spacers, (the blue Ebay ones) and still have the same noise. Are PDM subframe spacers that much better than the cheap Ebay ones? I wouldn't mind spending the extra money on those if I was sure it would do the trick.
bryfrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
PDM's are softer material than most of the Ebay stuff since it's urethane. Either one will do fine, and if you've got over 60k on your car the OE subframe bushings are already torn apart. My 56k mile 98 auto that was lady driven had lost the front two completely already.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
slivia-junkie
Leaky Injector

slivia-junkie is an unknown quantity at this point
would the subframe bushings clunk when you turn right (doesn't clunk when turning left) or when you hit a bump or is that somthing else
slivia-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
snp_ethan
Zilvia Member

snp_ethan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to snp_ethan
do you guys knwo how much it costs to have all the bushings installed? i only know that it is really expensive, but I wanna know a ballpark for at least the rear
snp_ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:50 AM   #10
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by slivia-junkie
would the subframe bushings clunk when you turn right (doesn't clunk when turning left) or when you hit a bump or is that somthing else
Check your front tension rod bushings. The stock silicone-filled ones have a tendency to leak over time. Look for a clear sticky jell underneath your car. Chances are the passenger side T/C rod is blown.
ID