Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #1
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Joobie610 is making a name for him/her selfJoobie610 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suspension and brake bolt questions

So lads, having a hard time deciding on which path to go down when it comes to fasteners for the 180. Need to buy some bolts for the brakes and suspension and I'm not keen on getting painted gear that will rust and look crap in no time.

So far my options are:

1. Baller Bolts replacements out of the States (I'm in Australia and the dollar is shit at the moment) for $430aud plus shipping/tax. I believe these are zinc plated grade 12.9 bolts with nuts and washers to suit.

2. Local supplier for Stainless steel 316 grade cap screws (in-hex/socket head)/nuts/washers and a GKTech eccentric lockout kit for the machined washers. Roughly $300aud plus shipping/tax.

3. Same as option 2, but using a lower grade Zinc plated cap screw. Roughly $250aud plus shipping/tax.

4. Titanium bolts from a Chinese supplier. Roughly my left testicle plus shipping/tax. Probably not a realistic option, but possible if I decide to wait another month and save.

Honestly, I prefer option 2. Cheaper, prettier, less chance of stripping the head. Downside is the risk of nuts binding on the thread if they are used multiple times.

The issue I'm having is whether or not the bolt is able to sustain the continual shock loading of the suspension parts. The grade actually refers to tensile strength (i.e. how high you can torque the bolt) and might have a detrimental effect on the shear strength (how much lateral tension can be applied).

So my suspension questions are:

Has anyone ever replaced the bolts with SS gear and if so, did it last, and under what conditions (track/street)?
Is there another option that doesn't involve Titanium replacement?
Has anyone ever had an issue running the Baller Bolts gear?

I'm also looking at new bolts for my brakes (r32 GTR split calliper all corners), and I'm not sure if I want to use Stainless, Titanium or Zinc Plated Steel. At most, I'd be looking at $300aud delivered for Titanium out of China so everything is an option.

Brake question:

Does anyone know if heat will have an extremely detrimental effect on any of these materials holding the callipers together and/or the calliper to the knuckle?