Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
maxgohan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
maxgohan will become famous soon enoughmaxgohan will become famous soon enoughmaxgohan will become famous soon enoughmaxgohan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vertical Flow Intercooler VS Front Facing Intake v. RB25DET

I've got an RB25 with this

(not my car)

Should I

a) keep stock intake manifold and get this

b) get freddy front facing intake

My current setup is making 260rwhp with a RB25 Neo turbo and turbo back exhaust
maxgohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
JDMpurest
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
JDMpurest is making his/her stupidity well-knownJDMpurest is making his/her stupidity well-knownJDMpurest is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Get the ISIS, its good quality and you'll make more power, plus better response with the shorter piping.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
what are your goals for the car? are you planning on getting more power out of the engine eventually? which do you like more? do you have the money to do either one? need more info...

personally, I would get a front facing intake manifold because I like the cleaner look...but not a freddy. there are plenty of companies that make a descent intake manifold for an rb, just research and get a good one. please avoid ebay stuff
Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
maxgohan
Leaky Injector

maxgohan will become famous soon enoughmaxgohan will become famous soon enoughmaxgohan will become famous soon enoughmaxgohan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
what are your goals for the car? are you planning on getting more power out of the engine eventually? which do you like more? do you have the money to do either one? need more info...

personally, I would get a front facing intake manifold because I like the cleaner look...but not a freddy. there are plenty of companies that make a descent intake manifold for an rb, just research and get a good one. please avoid ebay stuff
suggestions?

I'm shooting for 300rwhp with a boost controller (do-able?)

I've done research, and it suggests that the stock rb25 intake provides the best flow for equal distribution along all cylinders, that's why im contemplating the vertical flow IC
Old 02-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
tougedreams
Leaky Injector

tougedreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgohan View Post
suggestions?

I'm shooting for 300rwhp with a boost controller (do-able?)

I've done research, and it suggests that the stock rb25 intake provides the best flow for equal distribution along all cylinders, that's why im contemplating the vertical flow IC

I'm making 306rwhp on 10lbs with a stock(everything minus the intake manifold and engine management) series 2 rb25 with a gasket matched freddy and stock throttle body on it. So you can definitely do it. While the stock manifold does distribute the air better the front style allows you to have way shorter piping which is why I suspect I'm making peak torque(260ftlbs) at 2500rpms. I've only seen the air distribution issues on much higher than 300rwhp rb's.
tougedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
maxgohan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougedreams View Post
I'm making 306rwhp on 10lbs with a stock(everything minus the intake manifold and engine management) series 2 rb25 with a gasket matched freddy and stock throttle body on it. So you can definitely do it. While the stock manifold does distribute the air better the front style allows you to have way shorter piping which is why I suspect I'm making peak torque(260ftlbs) at 2500rpms. I've only seen the air distribution issues on much higher than 300rwhp rb's.

nice, what did you do for fuel and what management are you using?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
tougedreams
Leaky Injector

tougedreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgohan View Post
nice, what did you do for fuel and what management are you using?
Fuel is just a walboro 255 in tank. Engine management is AEM series 2 with MAP,IAT, boost control, and wideband. With my current setup I have less than 18in of charge piping and when I go bigger turbo I hope to cut it to <6in.
tougedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
maxgohan
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougedreams View Post
Fuel is just a walboro 255 in tank. Engine management is AEM series 2 with MAP,IAT, boost control, and wideband. With my current setup I have less than 18in of charge piping and when I go bigger turbo I hope to cut it to <6in.
wow, pics?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this is my poor-man ebay setup. Need to get my pipes welded to get rid of a couple of couplers:

That one u posted from fullrace looks pretty good, exept the way it's designed you wont be able to keep your reinforcement bar 'cause it will cover more than half of it, unless u want your lower tank to hang really low, below your bumper, maybe even below your lip, hell im sure mine's smaller than that one and the lower tank barely sits flush with the bumper and only about 3/4 of the core is exposed to fresh air. You could always remove the reinforcement bar and cut the bumper which im totally against that.
I got the idea after reading this thread:
R34 Gtt Front Mount Intercooler Installation - Skylines Australia
Now that guy gotta badass setup, name brand too.
I just dont like the idea of having that much piping with a stock intake, and i heard stock intakes are good for up to 350hp
feito is offline   Reply With Quote