Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
mrmittens

Trader Rating: (2)
mrmittens is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Timing Chain Kit

Hey, been searching the forums for a few days but have not seen anything regarding a specific brand to stay away from or buy in regards to a timing chain kit. Most of what I have seen either links to an older thread about buying the individual parts and doing it yourself or how to do it. I will also apologize right now if this is not the right section, I was thinking possibly reviews, but that was mostly for reviewing people and businesses I thought, and I also didn't see a "create post" button.

So, my question is, has anyone purchased a timing chain kit for the S13? If they have, how much, where did you buy it, and what are your thoughts so far. Will be putting in a new timing chain and wanted to make sure that I didn't get a bad deal or a bad chain. My current top option is from O'Reilly for a Cloyes Timing Chain Kit for 159.99 + tax. I have heard one good thing from a friend who has used it.

Thanks for your advice, will always stay a member.
mrmittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
DERRICKMC

Trader Rating: (0)
DERRICKMC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stay away from the rock auto kit. Simply because when i bought their sun power kit, (I forget what the gear is called but its the one where all the other chains come together and drives the distributor and the cone was missing to drive the distributor). Rock Auto was cool they returned it and gave me my money back, but what was annoying is that Rock Auto and Sun Power kept telling me that what they sent me was correct. They were wrong I ended up buying a much cheaper one off ebay. I forget the company and made sure the gear was their to drive the distributor and when it was shipped to me all the parts looked solid and my 240 is running good. Just remeber to throw away the chain guides for the cam chain they make noise.
DERRICKMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
the osk one is decent, frsport

but honestly just piece it together with oem shit

is it for the ka or sr?
sr they have on frsport as well, oe, KA theres a thread on nico that helped me. part numbers and everything you need, pretty sure nissan still has em
Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
s13_maJiK
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
s13_maJiK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
the osk one is decent, frsport
Yea, I got mine off of frsport. Two later, still no issues.
s13_maJiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
chuy
Zilvia Addict

chuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura about
Nissan Engine Rebuild Parts

if your looking for KA kit, I dont know about SR
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
mrmittens

It's KA, but I did the price comparison between the piece together and buying a kit, and even the O'R has become cheaper. Just took the numbers and priced it out quickly from the Nico Thread, and if I leave out the guides it comes out to $179.52. I have read that leaving out the upper guide is good, even recommended by Nissan, but should I leave out both or just that one? If the quality from Nissan is better than a kit, I don't mind spending the little extra, but I want to make an educated buy. If the OSK one is good, I may go with that, but compared with OEM?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
mrmittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_maJiK View Post
Yea, I got mine off of frsport. Two later, still no issues.
That makes me feel a lot better, I may go for that one then. Saving money is always welcome.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I got mine off of ebay, timing chains, gears, tensioners, guides and lower cover/oil pump.. 145 shipped for everything. Its been working great for about a year now with no weird noises or anything.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
91cupcake240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
91cupcake240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
I got mine off of ebay, timing chains, gears, tensioners, guides and lower cover/oil pump.. 145 shipped for everything. Its been working great for about a year now with no weird noises or anything.
Hmmm...u know of the name of the seller u got it from? Might need to do mine soon and that price isn't bad

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cupcake240 View Post
Hmmm...u know of the name of the seller u got it from? Might need to do mine soon and that price isn't bad

just search "ka24de timing chain kit" in ebay and pick the one that fits your model year and chassis. I don't remember who in particular I bought it from but its all the same generic crap lol. I'm pretty sure I just bought the cheapest kit.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Got a J and A or maybe it's JNA timing kit, all parts included. Cam gears, upper chain, lower chain, crank gear, upper and lower tensioners, and lower chain guides. Seems like it was about $265? Can't remember really. . .
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
562s13
Zilvia Junkie

562s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
i wouldnt buy ebay stuff... especially the lower guides... if anything buy whatever you want from ebay or wherever and get the oem lower guides. there is just some stuff you cant skimp out on. this is one of them. pay once, not twice.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
mrmittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cupcake240 View Post

One thing I have learned by searching some of the reviews of companies is the Mizumo is a no go as far as an eBay company goes. From what I read on the Subi forums, one guy bought their timing chain kit and less than 2 months later it was broken. One reason why I am not sure if I should go with an eBay one is because of reviews like this that I read.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
mrmittens

One final question, then I plan on making a writeup for everyone. Is getting a new oil pump recommended, needed, both, or neither? I understand it will depend on the condition of the current one, but for users like me who bought the car from someone and has no idea what they have done, I would like to be prepared for when I do this and plan on trying to put all of this information in one place once we are done to answer this question for all those who are like me.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

When I did my timing chain kit I replaced the oil pump because I had the lower timing cover off anyways. The chain tensioners operate using oil pressure, so if you have timing chain rattle thats likely part of the problem. Also, when I did all this I pulled the motor out of the car for easier access to all the stuff, took two days.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
mrmittens

I am getting a friend's help with this, so I am not sure what I will actually be getting. His grandfather owns a shop, so best case is that we get free access to it and use of it with help. Worst case is we have to do it out of his garage and leave the engine in. Is it pretty much impossible to put the pump in without pulling the motor?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
NOTsliden
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
NOTsliden is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
try partsdinosaur.com i got mine from there about a year and half ago. good kit. all oem.
NOTsliden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmittens View Post
I am getting a friend's help with this, so I am not sure what I will actually be getting. His grandfather owns a shop, so best case is that we get free access to it and use of it with help. Worst case is we have to do it out of his garage and leave the engine in. Is it pretty much impossible to put the pump in without pulling the motor?
You can pull the pump without pulling the motor but the thing is the lower cover has the oil pickup attached to it. So in order to pull the cover off the oil pan needs to drop down about two inches, which requires the motor being lifted a lil bit so the oil pan will clear the crossmember. I just figured if I'm gonna be lifting the motor up anyways and unbolting the motor mounts I might as well pull the motor anyways so I could clean stuff up.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
i got a ebay one, installed it to spec.. works great so far, no chain noise or any slack anywhere. but if you have the cash call a dealer and get all OEM stuff
on doing it in the car..
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...:referralID=NA
use this and just drop the subframe, it will come down just enough to get the pan out and do what you need to do, i used to check bearings on almost every car at the shop because it takes like 30 min
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I went with OSK from the nice people at FRSport. Its pricey compared to the ebay kit as it does not include new gears, or an oil pump(which i wouldnt trust off ebay anyway)
But the kit is quality. Easy to install, weighty chains.
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
mrmittens

Final conclusions

So, after reading this, I have a good idea of what is good (or not by the Subi forums), but just in case someone else needs it sometime, I am going to post prices and links for what seems to be the best timing chains and their prices.

Information about the swap/repair.

I used this site to get the prices.
Parts individually. $297.77 (after tax and shipping in CA)

Timing chain kit from O'Reilly. $172.39 (including CA tax), can be picked up at store or shipped at no cost if ground.

Timing chain kit from FR Sport. $210.06 (with normal, aka free, shipping and tax in California.) $194.95 For just the part with no tax.

eBay. $57.82 to $275.00, but it is an eBay kit. Subi owners have had lots of problems with Mizumo parts, so buy carefully.

Dinosaur. $203.64 with no tax and shipping. (Tax in AZ)

Support bar. $87.42 (including tax and shipping to CA). Useful if you are planning on doing it all at home.

Overall, the O'Reilly is the cheapest (not including eBay kits) and I personally know someone who is running it who recommends it. The people that posted here have had their FR Sport ones in for a while and have had no problems, and is only slightly more expensive for something that has been shown to work well. If anyone else needs to do this, hopefully this will help decide.

Please let me know if there are any notes that you think I should include for this. I want to make it as detailed as possible to help people make an informed decision. Also, if you see anything wrong or that you think just doesn't sound right, let me know. I will try to call Nissan today to see what the prices are like, so I will update if I can get a clear number from them.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'll also add the OSK timing chain has been/is being used in my DD KA-T
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
mrmittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
I'll also add the OSK timing chain has been/is being used in my DD KA-T
Where did you buy it? I know the FR Sport is OSK, so that is looking like another +1 for FR Sport.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Frsport is great they wont ever do you wrong.
this stuff helped me do mine the first time.. itsapretty easy job. The thing thats going to be hard is getting the crank pully off. you should rent the tool from autozone to make your life easy. And make sure you have plenty of silicone, i like ULTRA GREY. i swair by it. when you have your oil pump off you can take out a few wide philips scrwes and you can take out the oil pump gears and clean them. i cleaned them off and added alittle assembley lube. this is a good time to clean and paint the upper front cover and oil pump. i used a nice silver..
HOW-TO: Fix Your Timing Chain Rattle : Nissan Articles

wtbarrow s13 93 service manual

Old 01-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #25
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

heres a few pics of my timing stuff for absolutely no reason.