Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:47 AM   #1
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face kanyedian's Tiger Shark S13.4 Vert RHD 1JZ Build Thread

kanyedian's Tiger Shark S13.4 Vert RHD 1JZ Build Thread

Wah gwan!

I bought this car in like 2018 when I came across it on Craigslist. I wasn?t ready to store or work on this thing at the time but I had the money so I decided to pick up a car with my (at the time) dream stats, i.e. RHD, RWD, Manual, Turbo, Vert.

I?ve finally made some progress on this build and I feel good about sharing everything.

First, some recent pix from this past weekend when I drove it to test the charging system after a new battery and alternator swap:

I use a Fuel Tech digital dash so don't mind the gauge cluster readings lmao.
I?ve always had this parasitic draw on my electrical system. I would walk past my car and notice the gauges climbing up and then falling back down?funny until you go to start the car and drive it and no dice.

The latest round of complete overhauling started when one day, the car stalled while backing into the garage and I could not restart it. Not even using a jump starter. I did weeks of research looking at faults of every kind. Taking logs on the Fuel Tech FT450 of my cranking the engine attempting to diagnose anything that could be the cause. I was reading Crank Position Sensor errors and Cam Angle Sensor errors. I took a look at the Cam Angle Sensors which were easy to access at the top of the engine and noticed how dirty they were:

I cleaned them with MAF spray cleaner and let them dry.

I noticed the rubber seals on the sensors were completely torn so I finally bit the bullet and ordered these new seals from Driftmotion. It took me a long time to decide to do because there was $13 shipping and they came in a large box instead of an envelope which would have been fine and that annoyed me. But hey, I finally got a new job and I?m earning some income and this is an important part so I did it. I promise I?m not salty or anything big oof.

The funny thing is, I thought this would get my car to start but IT DID NOT! Believe it or not, I checked my Fuel Tech fuse box and there was one 15AMP fuse busted. I replaced it, and the car started normal. Hilarious, right? It?s always mixed emotions for me when a fix is easy because you sometimes feel silly but you?re also pleased it was a simple fix.

Later on, I noticed these broken wires on my alternator:

I ordered a replacement pigtail and crimped the wires to the correct lines:

I was still having issues charging the battery. For years now I?ve had to park the car, hook up a battery tender the entire time the car is sitting until I?m ready to drive again. Turns out this was the only way I was able to still use the car because the alternator failed a test at Autozone. My battery also failed the reserve capacity test a little over one year after it was purchased.

I was looking hardcore into AGM batteries like the Odyssey PC925L https://www.odysseybatteries.com/odyssey/pc925.html
which was recommended by Driftmotion but I don?t have a banging stereo or assisted steering, etc. so for now I stuck with a ~700 CCA Duralast from Sam?s Club with a three year warranty.

I was debating which alternator to get, be it a remanufactured from Driftmotion like https://www.driftmotion.com/150AMP-1...r-p/dm1696.htm
https://www.driftmotion.com/100AMP-1...r-p/dm1623.htm or something new.

After reading a lot online https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...-found.282167/
https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...wiring.656898/
I realized the 2JZ (like 1997 Supra) alternator would be a plug and play for my 1JZ which has the newer oval style plug. I selected the 1997 Toyota Supra Turbo Automatic alternator because it has 10 more Amps than the manual and it arrived with a slightly larger (underdriven) pulley. About 2.95? compared to ~2.5? on the one I was taking off. Autozone had a 20% off coupon if I bought online vs. in store so I took advantage of that and it was shipped and arrived the next day.

My engine bay is so so so tight with the straight 6 engine?I had to remove the electric fans first, and then drain and remove the radiator so I could get tools on the bolts and studs.

I took this time to replace the fluid with Toyota Red style coolant, also performed an oil change. This engine and oil pan takes 6 quarts of 10W-30. I used full synthetic plus a new oil filter.

I saw a video on YouTube about the dangers of an old harmonic balancer/crank pulley and how they carry a lot of energy when they fail and that will make you have to replace it anyway, PLUS repair any damage it causes. So I shopped around and I elected to purchase a Fluidampr Harmonic Balancer from the 1JZ/2JZ from Jegs.com who price-matched the lowest price I found online ($456.99) with free shipping. This completed a childhood dream of mine because I remember ordering the Jeg?s catalog as a youth and scrolling through all the pages of performance parts and crate motors haha.

I also ordered a 22mm weighted socket from Amazon that together with my aging air compressor and pneumatic impact g?n was able to get out the crank bolt no problem. Thank goodness!

I bought this crank pulley holder tool to assist with torquing the bolt for the installation and it did not fit. Nothing a quick return mail to Amazon couldn?t fix. I ended up chocking the wheels really nice, ?rented? (bought and returned with the Autozone manager?s approval) a torque wrench capable of 250lb./ft. and I stopped at 218lb./ft. The recommended setting is 239lb./ft. Some people only tighten with the impact but I felt better going a little tighter without breaking the bolt.

Some more time passed and I was tired of the openings in my front bumper and decided to mount some black mesh for a different look.

At this time things are going good except I go to test drive the car after the major overhaul and my dad calls me as soon as I head out on the road. He tells me there is a puddle of fuel in the driveway so I immediately return. I?m wondering to myself how the heck did the fuel leak wait until I was test driving the car and it didn?t leak the evening before when I was running the car on the jack in the driveway lol.

Anyhow, back under the car. This gave me a nice opportunity to try out the new canopy I got during Amazon Day for when I?m working outside in the Florida sun.

I had repaired this line once before when it was leaking. This time I tried using 6,784 clamps at once (not really but you get the idea):

I removed the AN hose from the forward side of the hard line joint and I discovered that I could not insert an object very far into the hose. This led me to believe that the rubber inside was damaged and the leak was occurring at this point. I went to Autozone and purchased about a foot of rubber fuel rated hose with an ID of .5? to replace the damaged section that I would be removing. I discovered that the dudebro that ran the fuel system before me used a single flare to join the hardline to the AN hose and the edge was razor sharp:

I used sandpaper and smoothed this edge all around to where I could squeeze it with my hand and not be injured. I then joined the cut old hose to the new one and the new one to the existed steel line:

No more leaks!

Old 08-22-2023, 06:40 AM   #2
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice job getting all that fixed! It's always fun repairing someone else's work in this brutal heat.
Must be pretty exciting to drive, open top, rhd, and open pipe 1JZ.
projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:04 AM   #3
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Thank you! Yeah, I was dreading the fuel line repair because I didn't want to have to completely re-run the lines that run up between the engine and firewall. Luckily the small splice with rubber hose did the trick.

Yes, totally obscenely hot haha. When I had the SR in here it had AC but now with the six cylinder I no haz and that's brutal! It's definitely a blast tho and makes all the right noises. I can't wait for the "winter" this year so I can rip around without melting haha
Old 08-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #4
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
So if I'm reading this correctly, your fuel line uses inverted flares, like a brake line?

Reason I ask is I would like to bend my own aluminum lines for a chassis I'm putting together, but don't have a way to bead the ends to form a nipple. If I flare the ends like a brake line and file the sharp edge, that should yield good results?
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #5
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like someone chopped them off to avoid the downpipe and then tried to put a flare to hold a hose.

The best tool in this case would be something like this, so you can add the bead without removing the line.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Earls...aign=CSEGOOGLE
projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:46 PM   #6
thermogod
Leaky Injector

thermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond repute
very, very nice. 6,784 hose clamps is a lot. must be why autozone said they didn't have any in stock when i tried to order 6,785 yesterday.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:15 AM   #7
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectsupra View Post
Looks like someone chopped them off to avoid the downpipe and then tried to put a flare to hold a hose.

The best tool in this case would be something like this, so you can add the bead without removing the line.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Earls...aign=CSEGOOGLE
I did some research after my comment above. These tools "do the job" but the reason I asked is the bead they make is very mediocre. I wouldn't trust it long-term unless you hercules-tighten the hose clamp. It seems like using a brake flaring tool but not quite tightening it to the full inverted flare makes a nice, smooth bubble nipple.

sry4threadjack
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:44 AM   #8
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermogod View Post
very, very nice. 6,784 hose clamps is a lot. must be why autozone said they didn't have any in stock when i tried to order 6,785 yesterday.
Haha thanks! And big oof I'm sorry I have ALL the host clamps. ALL THE HOSE CLAMPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
I did some research after my comment above. These tools "do the job" but the reason I asked is the bead they make is very mediocre. I wouldn't trust it long-term unless you hercules-tighten the hose clamp. It seems like using a brake flaring tool but not quite tightening it to the full inverted flare makes a nice, smooth bubble nipple.
Yeah the brake-line style single flare is working. The ideal flare is like ~30 degrees but after I sanded the razor sharp edge it's holding good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
sry4threadjack
haha all good !

Last edited by kanyedian; 08-31-2023 at 07:22 AM..
kanyedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:21 AM   #9
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

Our place of business closed down for Tuesday and Wednesday for this Idalia hurricane. Tuesday before the storm hit I went for a cruise by Clearwater Beach and found it completely empty (except for some surfers and many police)

Old 09-08-2023, 02:59 PM   #10
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

These past few days I've read at least 111 pages of stretched tyre/fitment/wheel whore threads and my eyes are ready to pop.

However I've concluded that the spec I want on my next wheels is 18x9.5 with 225/40.

The main reason is I want smaller rubbers on my rears so I can do slidey things. These 245/40s just do a lot of gripping and I don't want to have to be in boost and at high speed to play around. I'll sacrifice straight line grip for the ability to make noise and get lo0o0o0o0o0se.

The wheels I want come in 18x9.5 +27 as the lowest offset so I may slap in a spacer in the rear to stay flush We'll see. I'm going for some lightweight Enkeis which will be fun because I've had plenty of cool wheels in my day but this will be the first performance-ish type. I may start with only two because I also like the look of two sets of wheels on an S-chassis
Old 09-19-2023, 02:55 PM   #11
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

Pretty awesome just stumbled upon my first Build Thread for my first new car - 2008 Civic Si factory K20 that I ended up Supercharging with full Skunk2 race exhaust and BC N+ coils. Love that thing and it started my entire modding lifestyle!

https://www.8thcivic.com/threads/ace...thread.491913/

8thCivic was THE JAM back in 2009-2013

Amazing to see these 14 year old pics haha

https://www.8thcivic.com/media/users...arsalad.34767/

The website has changed since then - totally different look and format - I don't recognize it and haven't yet remembered my login lol.

Pic of my Harley for the vibe:

Old 09-26-2023, 04:05 PM   #12
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
this guy is a scammer he sold me a blown engine with a spun bearing as a useable core and is now ghosting me. apparently this tuner has no clue about what rod knock sound like and claims the engine was in good working condition just blows some smoke. avoid this guy at all costs
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote