Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-23-2002, 11:03 PM   #1
dr2if4ta0sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
dr2if4ta0sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alright i just got my 90' 240 coupe a couple weeks back and i have been hearing this rattling noise coming out of my engine...  everytime i rev above 3000 rpm it just rattles...  does anyone know why this is?  HELP PLEASE!!! TAHNKS
dr2if4ta0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2002, 11:19 PM   #2
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

LanceS13 is making a name for him/her selfLanceS13 is making a name for him/her self
I bet it's that infamous timing chain.  '89-'90 timing chains are notorious for wearing out and jumping around.  This could get expen$ive.  I hope you didn't pay much for it.
LanceS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:45 PM   #3
Leaky Injector

9591 is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing chains aren't known for wearing out. Quite the contrary; they last almost forever. It's the timing chain guides and tensioners that have problems, but they usually just cause noise at idle.
A lot of people have fixed higher RPM rattles by removing loose heat shields. Maybe that's the problem in your case.
9591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 10:30 AM   #4
96SEChick
Nissanaholic!

96SEChick is an unknown quantity at this point
My timing chain rattles at idle and my heat shields rattle while driving, especially when slowing down using my transmission to take a turn (leaving it in gear losing a little speed instead of putting it in neutral and coasting).  I have a very vocal car right now!!  hehe
96SEChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 03:16 PM   #5
dosborn
Leaky Injector

dosborn is an unknown quantity at this point
i've heard that the timing chain rattles all through the rpm range.  does it only do it at idle???
dosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 05:13 PM   #6
96SEChick
Nissanaholic!

96SEChick is an unknown quantity at this point
It probably does it all the way up the RPM range, but it's easy to hear at idle because the engine's not under load.  I'll let everyone know if there is a difference in performance and engine noise after I have my timing chain job done in the next couple of weeks (getting new chain, tensioners, guides, belts, water pump, front cover gasket---semi-major brain surgery).

(Edited by 96SEChick at 6:15 pm on Feb. 24, 2002)
96SEChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 07:52 PM   #7
gh6o6
Zilvia Junkie

gh6o6 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a 96 and it clicks - i think it there guide, but can that be a problem ive heard that the noisew means trouble(& $$$) and ive heard that its just and annoying noise
gh6o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:48 PM   #8
Leaky Injector

9591 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lemme try again. Timing chains *do* rattle, but the reason they rattle is because the tensioner isn't working adequately, which allows the chain to bounce around doing nasty things to the chain guides and other stuff. In mild cases, it's just the guides that take the abuse, and the operation of the engine isn't significantly affected, so Nissan has decided that the guides (some of them, at least) aren't really necessary, and should be removed.
The tensioner gets its tension from oil pressure. At idle, oil pressure is relatively low, so there's less tension than there is at higher RPMs, and the chain can bounce around more. At higher RPMs, there's a lot more tension, and the chain can't bounce and make noise. Unless there's something wrong with the tensioner, which happens.
A timing chain can stretch over time (long time), but not by much. The result of this would be your valve timing being thrown off by a small amount. A properly working tensioner will still keep the chain tight, so it won't bounce, and it won't rattle
Also, the tensioner might be OK, but the oil pump may not be supplying enough pressure
Summary: Timing chain rattle is not a symptom of a bad chain, but rather:
a) a bad tensioner;
b) a non-perfectly operating tensioner coupled with an unnecessary guide;
c) a broken guide;
d) a bad oil pump.
Some of the above will cause rattling only at idle or thereabouts, some can allow the rattle to continue at higher RPMs.

Whew!
9591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:09 PM   #9
dr2if4ta0sx
Leaky Injector

dr2if4ta0sx is an unknown quantity at this point
I have another question... besides the heat shield is there any other possibility something else is rattling, i heard somthing about the rockers in the engine... what is that and can that also be the source to the rattling sound???

dr2if4ta0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:45 PM   #10
musclesgabe

musclesgabe is an unknown quantity at this point
it could be your cat. i had this problem when i first got my car. the inside of your cat is like a bunch of hunnycomb kinda stuff and peices can break off and rattle. i'd stick your head under the car and have someone rev it up and see where its comming from. and if it is your cat then this is a good time to switch to a high flow cat! thats what i did.
musclesgabe is offline   Reply With Quote