Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
nddavis2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wiring/ starting issues

Long story short I came into possession of a very rough but running hatch with a vq35de swap. Didn't come w a battery so I bought one to put in. My buddy was putting it in while I went inside and he decided to hook up the terminals backwards. Won't start now.

I'm getting 12 volts at the battery, between battery and 12 volt connection on the starter. Jumped the terminals on the starter to make sure it would spin, which it did. Checked for voltage for ignition and there's my issue. Interlock has been deleted so that's not the issue and I checked continuity on fuses and they're good.

2 questions:

What do I need to check next?
Would a push start button wired to work when key is in acc position start it?

Frustrated because I know this could go all the way to the ecu but having issues finding where to check for the signal.

Thanks in advance.
nddavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Javi802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hook the volt meter up to the battery and test it while turning the engine over.
Javi802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Wiring/ starting issues

Engine doesn't turn over as of now or are you talking about when I try to put power to the ignition connection? Which I'm going to do this weekend.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Ah. Didn't know it wouldn't even turn over.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Nah starter doesn't get the 12 volt signal from the ignition so it doesn't trigger the solenoid.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

you're sure it didn't fry any fuses?
Old 01-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Checked all in the main box for continuity and all checked good
Old 01-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

May need a new starter.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Yes that's still a possibility but as of now I'm not getting a signal from the ignition to trigger the solenoid and rotate the starter
Old 01-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
sr22hatch
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
sr22hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did the same thing and fried my ecu replaced it and turned on
sr22hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

How did you know the ecu was fried?
Old 01-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Since when does the ECU have anything to do with cranking the engine? You can disconnect the ECU and it'll still crank. I don't have an S13 but it can't be that much different from my 14s. Starting circuit works like this: Battery power > battery feed to underhood fusebox >underhood fuse box > 30amp fuse > wire running to ignition switch > ignition switch > wire running back out to fusebox > clutch interlock relay (ONLY if manual) or inhibitor switch (ONLY if automatic) > wire running to starter motor.

So you have no power at the ignition key? That narrows it down to: the battery, one fuse, and one wire running to ignition.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #13
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Car should have one power wire running to the ignition key from the fusebox. On the S14 that is a thick white wire. Then, there should be several other thick wires running back out to the fusebox. On the S14, the black/yellow wire is STARTER and the black/red wire is IGN, FUEL, etc. You need to test if you have 12v power coming in to the ignition key.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #14
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Thank you dbeiler. I have checked the fsm and know how the circuit works for the starter. The starter is a very simple system, especially with the clutch interlock deleted. 12 volt from ignition is a black / yellow wire. I'll check for sure the power coming to the ignition however I do know when I turn the key, it triggers everything except the 12 volt starter signal. Can see/ hear the throttle body open and hear things click on.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Ok, do you have access to the electrical side of your key cylinder? Remove the plastic pieces around the steering shaft to gain access for testing the electrical terminals on the cylinder. If you have power coming in (sounds like you've already verified that) and you DON'T have power coming out at the starter power wire when you hold the key to 'Start' position, you'll need a new electrical ignition switch. Fairly common problem on these cars. $50 for a new one or you can attempt to disassemble and clean the old one.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

The picture I posted shows the starter wire as black/white instead of black/yellow as you suggested. May need to double-check the FSM.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:44 AM   #17
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Thank you very much. I do know the ignition acts really stupid as right now I've got it apart because the key doesn't cut everything off completely. Continues to get voltage after disengaged so I have to do everything w a screwdriver. Will check tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #18
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Finally had a let up in the rain to check the ignition. I get 12 volts in each position, including the start position. I have not been able to hook everything up and try to jumper the starter and bypass the signal yet. From the switch, the starter signal goes where? Through the ecu or into the fuse box?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #19
claaasssiiiccc21
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
claaasssiiiccc21 has a spectacular aura aboutclaaasssiiiccc21 has a spectacular aura aboutclaaasssiiiccc21 has a spectacular aura aboutclaaasssiiiccc21 has a spectacular aura aboutclaaasssiiiccc21 has a spectacular aura aboutclaaasssiiiccc21 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It goes to the starter relay which goes to the starter solenoid. The b/w and b/y wire discrepency is because the colors change from the ignition switch plug to the corresponding chassis harness plug. You want to take a screwdriver or i prefer medium sized needle nosed pliers and jump the White AND B/W wires on the harness or the corresponding wires on the ignition switch shown above (use pliers to jump the white/red trace AND black/yellow trace wires by poking the soldered balls on the back of the switch with the tips of the pliers). This effectively tests if your ignition switch is good or not and should make the car crank.
claaasssiiiccc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #20
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Alright thank you. I'll try that the next time the rain stops. Starter relay is the blue one beside the battery that's related to the clutch interlock? Before the battery was hooked up backwards it ran without this connected. I'm trying to fight through the nightmare that is the wiring for this. Crap I just remembered something. There was a wire with a spade connector plugged into one of the plugs. I made an assumption this was for the terribly wired fans. Let me trace down where it goes...
Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #21
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Still need some ideas guys. Ignition is working and car started once then died in about 10 seconds. Ideas?

And yes, I have fuel pressure as I have an adjustable fpr attached
Old 01-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #22
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Does fuel pressure build when the car is ignition is "ON" ?? Might have to prime the system which can take some time. Reverse polarity on an electrical system causes fuel pump to run backwards, essentially sucking out all the fuel out of fuel rail. Of course there are a million other things that can go wrong when you introduce a negative voltage.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #23
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Yeah fuel pressure builds when the ignition is in the on position. That's how I checked to make sure I was getting pressure. I got a code reader to see if it's throwing any to give me an idea. Reversing polarity on anything worries me. Going to change fuel filter out as well
Old 01-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #24
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

laurentj23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Im having almost the same issues except this on my ls swap. What happen if there's no volts reading in any of the cables by the ignition switch?

'Born Ready!',LJ
laurentj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #25
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

If there is no voltage, that means there is a break between the source and the ignition. If you shorted out your car, any wire in the system draws many more amps than what it is designed for. When that happens, metal heats up and vaporizes, only the bigger gauge wire survives. Start from the battery and work your way into the fuse box, from the fuse box to the ignition switch. FSM and a Digital Volt Meter is your best friend.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #26
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddavis2 View Post
Yeah fuel pressure builds when the ignition is in the on position. That's how I checked to make sure I was getting pressure. I got a code reader to see if it's throwing any to give me an idea. Reversing polarity on anything worries me. Going to change fuel filter out as well
Fuel Filter wont solve an electrical problem. Its most likely electrical. Give your starter a few taps(not smash it) with a wrench. If that doesn't work, then a good old trusty volt meter is your best bet.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #27
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
If there is no voltage, that means there is a break between the source and the ignition. If you shorted out your car, any wire in the system draws many more amps than what it is designed for. When that happens, metal heats up and vaporizes, only the bigger gauge wire survives. Start from the battery and work your way into the fuse box, from the fuse box to the ignition switch. FSM and a Digital Volt Meter is your best friend.
So what do i do check for continuity, volts or resistance from the fusebox to the ignition switch?

'Born Ready!',LJ
Old 01-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #28
nddavis2
Zilvia Member

Ah I go to check codes and battery is dead so codes have been wiped minus the one it had when I got it. Get the great fast clicking starter solenoid even when I'm trying to jump it off. Loving my luck.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #29
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Id check for voltage first to narrow down where the continuity of the wire is broken. Finding where that is, is going to be an adventure.

Give you starter a couple of taps with a rubber mallet. If that doesnt work then pull out the starter and test it by jumping it directly to battery.

There are ALOT of variables here and you really need to start testing everything until you find something.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #30
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
I hope this video can explain better about the issue I'm having.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAD8...ature=youtu.be

'Born Ready!',LJ