Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #391
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ctnewman
RBs sound so good. I had one in a RHD 240sx and it sounded like sex...
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #392
DJButton
Zilvia Junkie

DJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfectionDJButton is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to DJButton
Still coming along awesome, always love the updates!

New website! http://www.fujiispl.com
Post up YOUR CAR! http://www.rimtuck.com/
DJButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #393
SC_S13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
SC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
damn, that e30 looks sick. euro kits make those cars for me. so damn clean.

refined beasts haha especially with the RB purring under the hood.
Have you finished figuring out how youre going to cram all the hardware in the bay yet?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #394
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_S13 View Post
Have you finished figuring out how youre going to cram all the hardware in the bay yet?
yeah. Once it's painted i pretty much just have to put it back together and wire it.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #395
jobestudios
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very awesome update. I really want to go to school to be an engineer, not just the whole money thing. But being able to address complex problems with logical mathematics is a good tool set to have

What prompted you to go with ~1" welds and ~2" gap between welds? Just wondering if there was a thought behind it because I've seen so many variations and would like your input.

-Jackson.Vaughn.Photography-
jobestudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #396
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobestudios View Post
What prompted you to go with ~1" welds and ~2" gap between welds? Just wondering if there was a thought behind it because I've seen so many variations and would like your input.
More of a gut feeling than anything else, really. At work i see how the welders build vibrating machinery that lasts for tens of thousands of hours. It is very similar to the way that i have done it.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #397
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Before anything else:

HUGE THUMBS UP TO JESSE AT BLAST OFF. He is a great guy. Not only did he deal with me working on my car at his shop, but he even helped me paint it. He is a real stand up dude. He is very honest about what he can and cannot do, and will work his ass off to make you happy. 10/10. If you need ANYTHING blasted, this is the guy to see...

Ok, i dropped about 200 bucks on paint supplies today. Gallon of Por15, Gallon of metal ready, Brushes, rags, towels etc.

Got to the BLAST OFF INC and got started right away. The first step was to coat the car with POR15 METAL READY.

It's an etching fluid that allows the por15 to stick. You brush it on and then hose it off. However, i had to sponge/wipe it off because i didn't have a hose. It leaves a zinc phosphate coating on the metal and helps with the adhesion of the paint. Here's what it looks like after it's all said and done:

The man, the legend. Mr. Blast Off himself

Now i turned to my can of POR-15 Rust Preventative Paint. This shit was almost 130 bucks, but i'm told is worth every penny.

You are not supposed to get this on your skin. That's what the warning on the top of the can is... It states that if it dries on your skin, it won't come off for weeks...

Needless to say, i am covered in it.

Including my face.

Fail.

I tried sanding it off my face.

Fail.

But the car came out great!!!

SHAMELESS DERRICK CORP PLUG FOR THE DUAL POOL MACHINE I DESIGNED

About 10 bucks worth of paint...

Overall, I am very pleased with the way it came out. It still needs another coat, as well as a topcoat of a regular paint, but I am confident that the shell will never rust again...
Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #398
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
just wondering how long u plan on keeping her? lol thats allot of work ure doing

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #399
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
just wondering how long u plan on keeping her? lol thats allot of work ure doing
it doesn't matter how long i keep it.

when i do something, i do it right.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #400
drifter808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
drifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
nice build up. cant wait to see the finished product. Is the por15 like an undercoating or an actual paint?

edit:nvm read the label on the can
Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #401
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
TheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctnewman View Post

damn right! wish everyone who worked on a car had your mentality
TheArkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #402
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Great updates! Glad you finally got the blasting situation taken care of. Goddamn that was a lot of crap you scraped off!

Por-15 is supposedly great stuff, I know some guys use it on marine motor parts/etc. Didn't know it was that expensive though - ouch.

Good luck with getting it off your face.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #403
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
haha god damn that por15...

I used it on my 240's subframe, looks great!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #404
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Quote:

i didn;t meant it that way dude, ha ha like seriously how long u plan on keeping it so i can start saving up

Review Thread
Old 02-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #405
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
i didn;t meant it that way dude, ha ha like seriously how long u plan on keeping it so i can start saving up
make offer.

:P
Old 02-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #406
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Gloves...maybe...they tend to protect your hands.

Painting the chassis like that is excellent.

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #407
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz View Post
Gloves...maybe...they tend to protect your hands.

Painting the chassis like that is excellent.

Carlos
if you look at the pics you can see i am wearing gloves... apparently they broke or leaked.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #408
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
wow, looks TAR-tastic.
and now your face wont rust anytime soon either, bonus!

so much love to such a little old car, I think it will be happy with the new motor too. are you gonna make the motor look pretty (polished, anodized, etc) at all once you get it in the e30?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #409
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp owen View Post
wow, looks TAR-tastic.
and now your face wont rust anytime soon either, bonus!

so much love to such a little old car, I think it will be happy with the new motor too. are you gonna make the motor look pretty (polished, anodized, etc) at all once you get it in the e30?
i am painting the valvecovers/plenum lime green.

also, note that por-15 is not TAR. It's paint.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #410
chrisa
BANNED

Trader Rating: (14)
chrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfectionchrisa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to chrisa
subscribed for future updates
chrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #411
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
i am painting the valvecovers/plenum lime green.

also, note that por-15 is not TAR. It's paint.
give me the bill and subtract 40% then i can go see if I can ahve it financed j/k its a bad ass car, just keep it dude. I'd feel like kinda like when i sold my S13, new owner rocks that car like its the shit, opparently brags about the car he bought already G'd up. so its kinda lame when / if the new owner not being you gets seeying in that car, and when they ask him about it he can't say its his work.

Review Thread
Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #412
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
oh, man..........................

I like this thread, it gives me encouragement what I need to do with my 72, Nissan Skyline. .
racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #413
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

i'm bringing her home today. Going to start doing all the bodywork... Mounting the new bumpers and side skirts. I also need to cut out the fenders to accept the flares and fit them.

Also going to be shaving the door handles and installing LAMBO DOORS SIIQQQQQQQQQ

Just kidding about that part. But i am probably going to delete the fuel door and the antenna. I do need to blend in the sunroof with fiberglass too. I'm sure this will take a lot longer than i expect, but i'd like to have the car at the painter's within a month. I also need to mount the seats, paint the interior and paint the roll cage.

I'm excited.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #414
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

TheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the rough
just make a carbon fiber roof for it like the E92 M3s. it would look sick
Old 02-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #415
300hp owen
Zilvia Junkie

300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future300hp owen has a brilliant future
lime green, cool.

I know its not tar, but like I said, it sure looks like tar in the pics.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #416
sildrift86
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
sildrift86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Your insane!
sildrift86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #417
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArkitekt View Post
just make a carbon fiber roof for it like the E92 M3s. it would look sick
what he said.

Review Thread
Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #418
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

oh the joys of bodywork...

there are a few things going on at the same time here, but this is how we are shaving the moldings. Here's an e30 with it's side moldings shaved. (nevermind the terrible e46 bodykit) I really like the look of leaving that lip there.

So here's what we're doing.

Remove moldings and paint around moldings with rough grit to assure filler adhesion.

Weld closed holes and grind flat to prevent moisture from penetrating. (not ground in pic)

Weld in a strip of 16GA 304 stainless to fill as much of the cavity as possible and grind down welds.

Fill in remaining area with fiberglass reinforced body filler:

We will do this all the way around the car and sand smooth, it's going really well, but that's on temporary hold at the moment.

So here is some of the bodywork i have been putting on. I had to actually build brackets to mount the front bumper because the guy stiffed me, but i don't think that they would have fit anyway due to my IC being so far forward.

Rear bumper and valence:

Side Skirt:

Front Bumper is on. It's SMASHED on there because of the IC placement, in fact i had to actually PULL the sides back because of IC interference!

Front Mtech1 valence.... I am going to have to cut the fucking piss out of this thing...

Here is a shot that illustrates just how much needs to come off... the very top of the valence bolts to the front of the metal bumper and is covered up by trim. If you look how far it slopes back at the bottom, it's apparent that at the bottom of the valence the Rear of the IC is probably going to be in front of the bumper. HAHA.

It's going to have a VERY JDM look. Similar to how those guys run oil coolers mounted to the exterior of their bumpers... I've also seen a number of ICs mounted that way.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #419
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

at least youll get some good airflow to the IC. haha
Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #420
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArkitekt View Post
at least youll get some good airflow to the IC. haha
it's going to be like a bosozoku car. So hot.