Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #181
RUKUSmag
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
RUKUSmag is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not sure if I'm in the right place, but I just picked up a 91 s13 with a ka24de and I'm looking to do an sr20det swap. I'm in Los Angeles, CA and I'm looking for a reputable shop if anyone knows someone capable and with access to a clip it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
RUKUSmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #182
XxSHiFTxX

Trader Rating: (0)
XxSHiFTxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Has anyone ever looked into or bought a Brian Crower Stroker Kit 2.35L for a SR20DET? If you have; is it a good quality kit?
XxSHiFTxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #183
b4l
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
b4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUKUSmag View Post
Not sure if I'm in the right place, but I just picked up a 91 s13 with a ka24de and I'm looking to do an sr20det swap. I'm in Los Angeles, CA and I'm looking for a reputable shop if anyone knows someone capable and with access to a clip it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
i just started up a front clip i got from phase2 from there. perfect 10. very clean and once i got the wiring issue done it started and was purring so nice. i would go with them any day all day.
b4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #184
d-toxx

d-toxx is an unknown quantity at this point
So i have a friend with the sr20 out of a sentra was wondering if it could bolt to rwd trans or not cus id rather buy it local then have it shipped and not know if it runs will it alson boly in to a s13/14 chassie

Posted from Zilvia.net App for Android
d-toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #185
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
One_love_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
does anyone know what thread size and pitch the stock sr20 oil pan has for the turbo oil lines? im planning on getting the m7960 ARMS tomei turbo kit, and it's sized for stock sr20. I have my ka24de that i'm rebuilding, and i want to get a fitting welded on the oil pan while its off the car to save money and time. need to know asap please.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #186
91srblacktop

91srblacktop is an unknown quantity at this point
SR question

i have an sr20 blacktop with a trust down pipe and full 3" exhaust bosting 7lbs does anyone have a ruff estimet on hp range????
91srblacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #187
NHTKID
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
NHTKID is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
ya 180-190 ^
NHTKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #188
NHTKID
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
NHTKID is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
10 lbs is stock, not 7lbs. and 205 stock rating is not at the wheels..
NHTKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #189
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_love_silvia View Post
does anyone know what thread size and pitch the stock sr20 oil pan has for the turbo oil lines? im planning on getting the m7960 ARMS tomei turbo kit, and it's sized for stock sr20. I have my ka24de that i'm rebuilding, and i want to get a fitting welded on the oil pan while its off the car to save money and time. need to know asap please.
The oil return that goes to the pan is a tube with a hose connection, not a line. The turbine oil system is basically a gravity-feed where the oil comes in the top and drains out the bottom. Get a piece of tube that is the same diameter as the oil drain on the turbine and weld that in. Pic of my M8270 mounted:

Note the drain to the pan is a tube with a hose connected to it (black tube on bottom of turbo). Weld an identically sized tube plumbed to the oil pan for a return, and you will be golden.

You will love the M7960 btw =)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #190
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Quote:
The turbine oil system is basically a gravity-feed where the oil comes in the top and drains out the bottom.
This is only half true. It's pressure fed, and gravity drain.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #191
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

^^touche^^
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #192
cgtdream
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
cgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
One of the better SR20 install guides out there...Protip, applies specifically to the s14 blacktop and way better than that outdated HeavyThrottle guide.

Tune2Win | Do-It-Yourself Tech Articles | Nissan 240SX SR20DET Engine Swap Guide Part 1
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #193
40craz
Leaky Injector

40craz is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok guys might be a bit of a noob question but how much did you guys put into your sr builds to get to about a good 350 hp or an amount of power that was at least fun to play with. My reason for asking like this is i have bigger plans for my 240 but would like to have some power to play with while i await my 2jz build just wanted to see if the sr was worth it thanks.
40craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #194
Danger_Dorn
Zilvia Member

Danger_Dorn is an unknown quantity at this point
SR Swap Troubles: Dead Circuit, 87 Octane ?

Hey guys, Just swapped in a stock redtop into an s14 (95). I used a new wiring specialties upper and lower harness, checked it 3 times before install. I have a battery relocation to the trunk and the battery negative is grounded to the spare tire stud in the center. Ok now the problem

1st Question: When I plugged what I'm pretty damn sure was everything up, I didnt get ANY power anywhere. I blew the battery fuse "FL". I then checked my wiring once more after calling wiring specialties and they said jump the fuse for a moment with the lights on and watch for signs of life...all I got was smoke from the connection. I know its a ground but what is the most common? Should I add a ground from the intak manifold to the chassis? Its grounded through the harness already but maybe its not enough. Whats going on?

2nd Question: I have a gas tank FULL of 87 octane fuel. I already swapped my fuel pump for a walbro 255. Will I be ok for this tank or should I add some octane booster? Or go through the pain or replacing all the fuel? FML Thanks guys.

SOLUTION: I figured out my problem, I had forgotten to place a spacer in between the alternator shell and positive cable...wow

And as far as the fuel issue, I just dumped in octane booster, worked great.

Last edited by Danger_Dorn; 03-31-2013 at 07:39 AM..
Danger_Dorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #195
Sthirteen90
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Sthirteen90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are timing chain set ups interchangeable between s13 sr's and s14's?
Sthirteen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #196
AlexN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
AlexN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
helpful, thanks
AlexN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #197
Danger_Dorn
Zilvia Member

Danger_Dorn is an unknown quantity at this point
SR Perfect Timing SR20DET

Ok here new guys I made a video of how to do perfect timing on my SR. Please pay close attention to everything

SR20DET Won't Start. (Timing and Spark shown) - YouTube

PS: My car not starting is irrelevant as its a different issue.
Danger_Dorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #198
safari
Leaky Injector

safari is an unknown quantity at this point
is the 95 sr20det with vtc a 4 cylinder?
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #199
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post
is the 95 sr20det with vtc a 4 cylinder?
Thats debateable, it has 16 valves.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #200
oni jake
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
oni jake is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have a S15 SR in a S14 chassis and redid my entire harness from scratch. This could be useful for anyone wanting to do the same.

oni jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #201
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

tengo240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Recently did some work to my sr and upon starting it it idled like complete shit , it was rocking back and forth and pouring black smoke out of the exhaust. i recently did the following to the motor/car what should i do if tomorrow when i put it back together its still off? i did the following

1.moved my fuse boxes/chassis harness to behind my dash board ,did not cut or remove anything just relocated it .
2. installed a chasebays wiring harness
3.removed my heater core and looped my coolant line in the back with all new hoses
4. removed my bov and hot pipe for a solid no bov hot pipe ,ran a vacuum line from the wastegate to the hot pipe,vac line from fpr t'd to boost gauge to the mani , capped the other throttle body fittings,
5.i removed my intake manifold but put on a new collector gasket and a circuit sports thermal gasket spacer. what did i miss or did i run vacuum lines wrong? i checked for boost leaks by spraying carb cleaner and didnt get anything,the motor flodded while running for the few moments i had it running , i replaced my plugs and changed the oil.
the engine ran awesome a few months ago before i changed the previous things , im leaning towards the wiring, any ideas ? i would greatly appreciate some insight and help
it acts like maybe the maf is being grounded out? i heard a few people got bad harnesses this year from chasebays . idk
tengo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #202
Sthirteen90
Leaky Injector

Sthirteen90 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd say make sure you didn't plug any of the breather lines. Like the one off the intake. And if there's a problem in the harness, that's not super easy to check without taking apart the harness.
Sthirteen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #203
powermymotor
Leaky Injector

powermymotor is an unknown quantity at this point
wanted to change pistons .. if i didnt bore it out what size can i upgrade to? or do i keep it standard at 86mm
powermymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #204
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

89hatchman is an unknown quantity at this point
Double checking. I can run 10-12 psi boost on stock injectors and tune correct?

I've heard people say that stock boost is 7 and others say its 12....Mine is currently running at 7
89hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #205
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89hatchman View Post

I've heard people say that stock boost is 7 and others say its 12....Mine is currently running at 7
Posted my answer to this in your other thread...

Stock boost seems to vary a bit on SR's (S13 red/black top), I think mostly due to variances in the age or type of the WG actuators.

You CAN run as much boost as you want- whether or not you SHOULD is the real question. At 10psi, you'll still be okay. At 12, you'd be amazed at how lean it will be. If your plan is to run 12psi on the factory setup, I recommend rethinking that & getting injectors and Enthalpy or JWT tune at minimum.

Don't get me wrong, I ran my SR at 14-16psi back in the day before I got smart & gave it the tright amount of fuel. Looking back, I feel very lucky I didn't blow the motor. People will tell you that running 12psi is 'safe' and that I am full of shit- but the numbers don't lie... If you're really concerned about it, put it on the dyno with a wideband attached and see.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #206
89hatchman
Zilvia Member

89hatchman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4l View Post
i just started up a front clip i got from phase2 from there. perfect 10. very clean and once i got the wiring issue done it started and was purring so nice. i would go with them any day all day.
How much did you pay? I like phase2 and all and I'm satisfied with my motor I suppose but it was pricey.

My SR has a timing chain rattle or something and runs a little lean at lower RPMs but so far its held up for 8 months or so of getting whooped.
89hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #207
shorty69187420
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
shorty69187420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
so i have posted in a few different places but haven't gotten a response yet, hopefully this thread can help??

So i received my s14 sr20det about a week ago and was looking at everything and noticed that the ecu doesn't say WC on it... It says WB.

I looked up online and seen that:
WB = 94-96 silvia non turbo auto (SR20DE)
WC = 94-96 silvia turbo M/T (SR20DET)

Is this going to affect me in anyway?? I called the company that i bought it from and they said that the other*sr20det's that they have also have the WB ECU and not the WC.

Please advise
shorty69187420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #208
jaspreetkaur

jaspreetkaur is an unknown quantity at this point
hire a taxi in chandigarh

hire a taxi in chandigarh

Nice blog,very informative and design your article.I think other website proprietors should take this web site as an model, very clean and wonderful user genial style and design, as well as the content. You are an expert in this topic!
Thanks
jaspreetkaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #209
XEvrybodygets1

XEvrybodygets1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok guy i know a few of you on here have had problems with the sr i have a sr20det i have no idea what the block numbe ris but right now the list of problems that i know are
- it wont start unless push started
- it dies when taken out of gear when running
-when the gas is to the floor tranny in gear doesnt matter which and clutch to the floor thats the only time it stays running.
- none of the gauges work

i bought the car a month ago with a promise to have it running it is not running now i will post later the block number. i hope you guys can figure it out.
XEvrybodygets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #210
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93kouking View Post
10 lbs is stock, not 7lbs. and 205 stock rating is not at the wheels..
Without the factory boost control solenoid, 7psi is stock. Therefore, since most people do not run the factory boost control solenoid, he is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89hatchman View Post

Read above. The other part of your answer varies. What engine setup? S13 SR w/T25 can get away with slightly more boost than say an S14 SR w/T28. Regardless, I wouldn't push the S13 past 11-12psi without injectors and a tune. S14 no more than 10psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Posted my answer to this in your other thread...

Stock boost seems to vary a bit on SR's (S13 red/black top), I think mostly due to variances in the age or type of the WG actuators.

You CAN run as much boost as you want- whether or not you SHOULD is the real question. At 10psi, you'll still be okay. At 12, you'd be amazed at how lean it will be. If your plan is to run 12psi on the factory setup, I recommend rethinking that & getting injectors and Enthalpy or JWT tune at minimum.

Don't get me wrong, I ran my SR at 14-16psi back in the day before I got smart & gave it the tright amount of fuel. Looking back, I feel very lucky I didn't blow the motor. People will tell you that running 12psi is 'safe' and that I am full of shit- but the numbers don't lie... If you're really concerned about it, put it on the dyno with a wideband attached and see.
Mike, with the factory boost solenoid most SR's run 10psi, with boost tapering off in the higher rpms. Without the factory boost solenoid, wastegate pressure is set at 7psi. Since most people delete or do not receive the factory boost solenoid, they run 7.