Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Arsenal240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Arsenal240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
On the CA DMV website I found this. It talks about Direct Import vehicles and requirements for registering.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch12/ch12_15.htm
I dont really understand why anyone would think CA is screwed if there are Skylines already registered in the state. Id like to wait it out and get an R33 eventually.
Arsenal240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal240sx View Post
On the CA DMV website I found this. It talks about Direct Import vehicles and requirements for registering.
12.070 Direct Import Vehicles (H&SC ยง39024.6)
I dont really understand why anyone would think CA is screwed if there are Skylines already registered in the state. Id like to wait it out and get an R33 eventually.
Just because they are registered doesn't meant they were done above board. Why bother paying a premium for a 1989 Skyline because it is "Federally Legal" and then using some quasi-legal method or loophole to register it.

The issue with California, from the research we've done is the Air Resources Board. Direct Imports newer than 1976 require an ARB inspection (separate from SMOG from how I understand it) which is both expensive and hard, if not nearly impossible for a Skyline to pass.

Obviously there are ways around this. If there were not, there would be no registered Skylines as you mention. California can deny you the right to legally import a 25 year old car, it is federal law. However, they can certainly make it difficult to register and plate it.

Trust me, I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong about the difficulties in California. We get plenty of request for Skylines from California residents and it's a big disappointment to tell them what we've learned up to this point.