Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
s13_st
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
s13_st is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JZ swap cost stupid expensive

I've done my research about doing the swap/rebuild. I add up the total cost of parts and it comes out to roughly 20,000. But when I search JZ swap costs on the forums, people are posting some super low costs for the engine + parts needed (3,000-6,000). I remember when my stock sr swap/rebuild was about 7000. My list consists of everything for the jz to run like a new STOCK long block except fuel delivery upgrade and bigger turbo. I can't say I didn't expect these figures, but why is everyone else's investment so far from mine haha. *I swear against backyard/junkyard ideology builds. Something to discuss about?
s13_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I personally have never heard anyone quote $3k to $6k for a 1/2JZ swap... Maybe for an N/A, but certainly not turbo. What I normally hear is around $10k to $12k. I mean, a lot of money can be saved buying used or aggressively shopping for discounts/group buys. Never heard as high as $20k for any stock swap. That's nuts to me.

Probably the cheapest non-native engine I've heard of swapped into the S-Chassis is the VQ at around $7k if you used the FWD version. 1UZ maybe, but ugh. Why? lol
Old 09-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
s13_st
Leaky Injector

If I leave out the standalone, the turbo rebuild, twin disc + flywheel, wiring harness, custom exhaust + intake + hard pipes, gauges, oil cooler, converters for tach and speedo, tune. 12k is a possibility and a few other pluses. 12k is def a possibility.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
you must be pricing out brand new, top notch parts. Were you planning on going with a v16x as well? :P
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
s13_st
Leaky Injector

I like to pamper myself from time to time jk. I'm just doing OEM parts as far as motor stuff goes.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #6
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
I'd just get the car running reliably then worry about the performance stuff later. Get the engine running on the stock ecu, stock oil cooler, bypass valve, etc. Then do the blingy shit later like the standalone, etc.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
I'd just get the car running reliably then worry about the performance stuff later. Get the engine running on the stock ecu, stock oil cooler, bypass valve, etc. Then do the blingy shit later like the standalone, etc.

what he said...
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_st View Post
If I leave out the standalone, the turbo rebuild, twin disc + flywheel, wiring harness, custom exhaust + intake + hard pipes, gauges, oil cooler, converters for tach and speedo, tune. 12k is a possibility and a few other pluses. 12k is def a possibility.

Turbo Rebuild?

Step away from the keyboard and put your credit card away. You are. It ready.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
spooled240
Post Whore!

seriously at 20k you're approaching 20B territory lol
Old 09-19-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
seriously at 20k you're approaching 20B territory lol

At $20k just buy a car that's actually cool...
Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 AM   #11
s13_st
Leaky Injector

All true. But a 1jz swap has been on my mind for many years. I never really coped with the "just get it going first and then worry about the pluses later" idea very well. I am a pre-planner. I want to map out what I want and know the cost of it, and then dive into the project. Much love and respect for the rotary's and the 7's but not for me. I have a tuned Evo X as well, but I want to get rid of it for a daily driver...
Old 09-20-2016, 03:44 AM   #12
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Quote:
I never really coped with the "just get it going first and then worry about the pluses later" idea very well. I am a pre-planner.
I'll be here for the part out when you get too deep and I'll pay pennies on the dollar
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:06 AM   #13
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
This. All of it. You can pre-plan all you want, but get it road worthy first. Enjoy it for a bit. Do it in steps. If you park it for a while, with little or no progress, you will lose interest. Seen way to many projects end up going to shit like that. Myself included. I planned out a project car back in 2004, went full tilt on it, then life happened. Got parked for a while, money and time got scarce, and it sat idle for years. I still haven't finished it yet.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:54 AM   #14
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
All true. But a 1jz swap has been on my mind for many years. I never really coped with the "just get it going first and then worry about the pluses later" idea very well. I am a pre-planner. I want to map out what I want and know the cost of it, and then dive into the project. Much love and respect for the rotary's and the 7's but not for me. I have a tuned Evo X as well, but I want to get rid of it for a daily driver...

Ever swapped an engine?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 AM   #15
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
1) Turbo rebuild?? Why??
2) Why are you purchasing custom exhaust and induction pipes? There are a multitude of brands which already make conforming parts which are MUCH cheaper than custom and just makes more sense
3) A stock setup does not need a "tune". Get it running first on the stock ECU
4) If you have the proper wiring harness, why are tach converters needed??

I would highly recommend you keep it as simple a stock swap as possible, which also tremendously reduces your cost of admission and downtime

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=594842

Check that link out for all the detailed swap info.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #16
AwhiteS13

AwhiteS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Like what are you even asking then.

Of course your gonna dump 20k if you rebuild and replace everything.

twin disc clutch, flywheel, custom this, that, rebuilt turbo. You said you've built an SR before, so why are you surprised?

1JZ with the essentials is going to be cheaper, duh.
AwhiteS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #17
s13_st
Leaky Injector

d15, f22, 2uz, and an sr. Done a couple of other rebuilds, just not jz. I'm not surprised by the price. This was meant to be a discussion for others who've done the swap who can chime in. This also isn't my daily driver so I'm not concerned about getting it on the road ASAP.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #18
s13_st
Leaky Injector

Why are people evening questioning why I'm having a turbo rebuilt. Everyone has different definitions of essentials, and that's one of mine with an old engine.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #19
s13_st
Leaky Injector

Someone said there are a lot of hard pipes and intake available for the swap but all I see is cx racing and I've never had good luck with fitment and quality from them. So custom it is.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #20
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Quote:
Why are people evening questioning why I'm having a turbo rebuilt. Everyone has different definitions of essentials, and that's one of mine with an old engine.
A twin disk, custom everything and a stand alone ECU are NOT considered essentials............

Old 09-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #21
s13_st
Leaky Injector

I'll give you the twin disc.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
s13_st
Leaky Injector

And no, not custom everything.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #23
s13_st
Leaky Injector

Thank you experts for the words of encouragement. I hope my JZ swap will be as great as yours one day.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #24
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Don't get offended, but a very similar post to yours pops up daily. If research was done, this post would not exist (and I provided a link to a full step by step swap and parts guide for you to come a much more precise figure in regards to cost).

And time and time again, it ether
1) Doesn't get off the ground
2) Goes about as far as a shell and the purchase of a ton a parts and the purchase of even more unnecessary parts, at which point reality sets in and a feverish partout ensues shortly after..........at which point everything is sold for cents on the dollar because OP and girlfriend broke up, they need a house and now everything needs to go........

Double - triple the price to build a 6 cylinder vs a 4 cylinder is a good baseline.

Either way, good luck! Not my money or m problem lol
Old 09-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #25
spooled240
Post Whore!

Old 09-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #26
s13_st
Leaky Injector

Like I said, this isnt my first project. I'm not some kid that's still in high school trying to ride the hype you know? I know the struggle of carrying motivation to finish builds. I've already been there years ago. I just wanted a discussion of a topic, I wasn't really ranting about the costs. I still plan to repaint the entire chassis, mild suspension and body work. My build goes beyond just the cost of this jz swap. I'm well aware of the expenses of doing a build. But when someone says that they'll wait until I fail and give up. Like what's the point of that...I already have more money saved up than I need to complete this swap.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #27
s13_st
Leaky Injector

You spend so much time flaming people for how much money they spend building, but you never flame the companies that charge an arm and a leg for these parts.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #28
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

P.S Why do you need to rebuild the turbo if you are going to a bigger turbo anyways??

It's things like this that make my brain............

Old 09-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #29
s13_st
Leaky Injector

Because I'm not going with a bigger turbo If I did plan on a bigger turbo, I wouldnt waste $750 on a rebuild. Like I said...this isn't my first project.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #30
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Thank you experts for the words of encouragement. I hope my JZ swap will be as great as yours one day.

Are you like 16?

I don't think you've ever swapped anything. If you had, you'd understand how silly you sound.

You are seriously rebuilding the POS C16 turbos? Why? They are garbage. You don't need a twin disk, ECU, FMIC, exhaust or anything to run those chokers.

You are looking at all of this backwards.
Also, fuck the 1JZ.

Proper Build-

Start with a USDM VVT-i 2JZ for $500
The VVT-i is worth 50hp once tuned.

Now all your parts and specs will be easy to acquire. Have a custom turbo manifold built for $1,200-$1,500. Modify your stock intake, get some turbo valve covers.

Now buy the Collins adapter and clutch setup. It's like $1,600 and comes with a clutch. Have a 1pc shaft made at your local. Now you can run a CD009 for $500. It's stronger, cheaper and better shifting then a R154 and a W58 is a pile of shit.

If your gonna build, use Manley Pro H-beams.

Best to use a cam driven mechanical fuel pump and FIC injectors.

Run a MS3 Pro for a stand alone. Or AEM if your a dork.

My friends 2JZ build is coming along nicely. Entire swap he'll be about $10k deep and making 1k WHP with billet main caps. He is doing all the fab work and assembly himself.

If you are going to keep the stock turbos or run a W58, save your time and money. You'll struggle to get past 350whp.

Just swap a RB25 or 5.3/LS1/ Ford 302.

Jason made 390whp on his stock block RB25 before saying fuck it and going 2JZ. He had maybe $5k into that swap. But once again, he did all the wiring and fab and used a Z32 ECU.