Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: What do you like XM, Sirius, or bah humbug commercial radio?
If you like XM 10 33.33%
IF you like Sirius 12 40.00%
I reallyt don't give a shit I will listen to free crappy commercial radio 8 26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sirius, XM, or bah humbug commercial radio

I've been sick and tired of the crap and airplay of commercial radio lately. So I did something about it and purchased a plug and play sirius satelite radio. Honestly one of the best investments that I could of made. Sirius plays the newest music with no commercials and some of the best music without repeating a song within the day (depending on the channel). I was attracted to sirius over XM radio because of the enormous and excellent programming that sirius had to offer and I just found XM to be boring although offering a wider selection of plug and play devices and stereo systems.
The greatest feature is in the recievers that list the artist and song title, and being able to record the music, or whatever was good from a talk show.
I didn't buy my sirius for the over hyped Howard Stern, but rather the diverse amount of talk programs and of course if I'm traveling so that I can listen to my NFL games (Oakland Raiders), as well as eminems hip hop station shade 45, Hip Hop Nation, Hot Jams, the blue collar comedy channel and my rock stations octane, and buzsaw. I love the fact that it isn't regulated by the FCC and all explicit content is uncensored.
There is a draw back like when traveling under overpasses and losing reception for under 3seconds, but other than that I truely enjoy the digital quality sound with zero static, and less talk from DJ's and more music play. I honestly believe that this is the future of radio and it is only getting better. So far I've taken itout camping, to work, and listened to it in all of my Nissans (Murano,240sx,Frontier truck) great sound.
I just want to see where others stand and if they are happy with the products that satelite radio has to offer (weither sirius or XM), and list what you like about it. Honestly for the 43cents that I spend a day, it brings me back to listening to more music, rather than switching channels numerous times due to many loud and obnoxious commercials that just give me a headache.
Whats your stand and what made you chose XM, or sirius, or what makes you stick with commercial radio?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
well I listen to Internet radio, On the road, its my Ipod. I am going to get a new stereo that has a built in Ipod plug so I can just use the Ipod period. I will have more than enough programming of the music I like.What I don't get off Itunes I have on CD. I am completely against ripping free downloads by the way i.e. the likes of bitstream,kazaa and what ever else. I really have an issue with paying for Radio as well.I remember the days when regular FM radio was the bomb diggity hahahhahha. Its bad enough we have to pay to get decent T.V. these days.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Creizai
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Creizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie
I've been sick and tired of the crap and airplay of commercial radio lately. So I did something about it and purchased a plug and play sirius satelite radio. Honestly one of the best investments that I could of made. Sirius plays the newest music with no commercials and some of the best music without repeating a song within the day (depending on the channel). I was attracted to sirius over XM radio because of the enormous and excellent programming that sirius had to offer and I just found XM to be boring although offering a wider selection of plug and play devices and stereo systems.
The greatest feature is in the recievers that list the artist and song title, and being able to record the music, or whatever was good from a talk show.
I didn't buy my sirius for the over hyped Howard Stern, but rather the diverse amount of talk programs and of course if I'm traveling so that I can listen to my NFL games (Oakland Raiders), as well as eminems hip hop station shade 45, Hip Hop Nation, Hot Jams, the blue collar comedy channel and my rock stations octane, and buzsaw. I love the fact that it isn't regulated by the FCC and all explicit content is uncensored.
There is a draw back like when traveling under overpasses and losing reception for under 3seconds, but other than that I truely enjoy the digital quality sound with zero static, and less talk from DJ's and more music play. I honestly believe that this is the future of radio and it is only getting better. So far I've taken itout camping, to work, and listened to it in all of my Nissans (Murano,240sx,Frontier truck) great sound.
I just want to see where others stand and if they are happy with the products that satelite radio has to offer (weither sirius or XM), and list what you like about it. Honestly for the 43cents that I spend a day, it brings me back to listening to more music, rather than switching channels numerous times due to many loud and obnoxious commercials that just give me a headache.
Whats your stand and what made you chose XM, or sirius, or what makes you stick with commercial radio?

I have sirius in my 240 best money i've spent on my car. Howard stern over rated? Dude a 30 yr old son just put his 50+ yr old mom on the sibian and he had to control it. I really dont listen to howard on the radio i usually listen to the music channels cause they are reaaaaaaaaally good.

Also if anyone does get it for howard stern .. and they dont wake up early enough to hear the show ( like I did and thats why i didn't buy it earlier ) They replay the show through out the day.

plus Sirius is getting NASCAR lol
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #4
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
I used to sell XM and Sirius back in teh day,I had XM (sirius=no reception around here) and I loved it but I really like FM too

I am not too picky because I love all music,so if the rap station or pop station doesn't have what I want,I click on the country station and the rock station and the classic rock station and the light station and the...But I enjoy it,never know what your gonna hear next! I tended to station flip on XM wich is somewhat against the whole point of having it,wich is why I dropped it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creizai
Dude a 30 yr old son just put his 50+ yr old mom on the sibian and he had to control it.
wtf thats fucking wrong
Old 09-14-2006, 02:16 AM   #5
HerbReal
Zilvia Junkie

HerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond reputeHerbReal has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to HerbReal
XM has better sound quality over sirius. Sirius sounds radio'ish compared to XM.

Herb
Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 AM   #6
sncs14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
sncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
AOL has free XM radio.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:20 AM   #7
sean350z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
sean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Howard Stern 'overhyped'?!?! :hammer: Sirius ftw.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
TheSquidd
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
TheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TheSquidd
Howard Stern sucks balls. O&A suck now that they're not satellite only.

Ipod + Itunes + Radio Transmitter + Podcasts.

Punky Radio!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
Creizai
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Creizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquidd
Howard Stern fucking owns. O&A suck now that they're not satellite only and always did.

Ipod + BitTorrent + Radio Transmitter + Podcasts.

Punky Radio!!!

Fixed your post.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq
well I listen to Internet radio, On the road, its my Ipod. I am going to get a new stereo that has a built in Ipod plug so I can just use the Ipod period. I will have more than enough programming of the music I like.What I don't get off Itunes I have on CD. I am completely against ripping free downloads by the way i.e. the likes of bitstream,kazaa and what ever else. I really have an issue with paying for Radio as well.I remember the days when regular FM radio was the bomb diggity hahahhahha. Its bad enough we have to pay to get decent T.V. these days.
Well in that case if you don't like to steal music you may consider the option of purchasing an XM or a Sirius reciever. Both companies at some time had done work with MAC to make 20/40/60/80GB hard drive recievers to store the newest music on. These recievers should be out by Christmas this year, I believe that XM is releasing there models before Sirius. It's not stealing music either since you would be a subscriber to either company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbReal
XM has better sound quality over sirius. Sirius sounds radio'ish compared to XM.

Herb
That is only a true statement if sirius owners do not purchase the FM module for $20. Same goes for XM owners that do not purchase there FM component for $30. If you go to the www.sirius.com website, or www.xmradio.com website, you can listen to all the stations in a choppy broken down bitstream which sounds nothing as clear as it does using the actual recievers.
Both XM and sirius use the same technology from Delphi electronics, which means both satellite systems use the same digital compression HI-FI technology.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:28 PM   #11
TheSquidd
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
TheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TheSquidd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creizai
I love to listen to an old fart try and be funny by flirting with a naked girl for the 1,000,000th time. When in reality it's just pathetic, and has been for the past 10 years.
Fixed your post.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:12 AM   #12
sr240mike
Zilvia FREAK!

sr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her self
I didnt really like Howard Stern before he went to Sirius. But now that Sirius I have it on Howard Stern about 90% of the time. Now that he's free to do whatever he wants its non-stop entertainment. Sybian rides and Bubba the Love Sponges shock the puss are classic. I find the hip-hop stations play the same songs a lot which sucks. Besides Stern, Maxim Radio is my favorite. The FM modulator sucked on my receiver so I got the Kenwood cable and the quality is GREAT now.

TWO IN THE COOT, ONE IN THE POOT
Old 09-15-2006, 02:16 AM   #13
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've had Sirius with a Lifetime from almost day one. Heard them both and XM is almost commercial Pop radio with out the commercials. I find that Sirius plays more new music.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 AM   #14
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr240mike
The FM modulator sucked on my receiver so I got the Kenwood cable and the quality is GREAT now.
Do you have the Kenwood stereo, with Sirius Satelitte radio ready components?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:06 AM   #15
prsfan01

prsfan01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to prsfan01
I have direct TV at home, I get XM with that for free. I like most of the channels they offer. The sports are kinda lame IMO, but I don't like listening to sports anyways. I have the Ipod in the car. I'd pay for XM in the car if I traveled alot. But, I can't see it as a wise investment right now!

1993 240sx Daily Driver.
1994 NX2000 rally-x car.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #16
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Update:
Sirius satellite radio uses 3 satellites to provide a signal, using geosynchronic satellites they orbit around north america doing a figure 8 pattern always using 2 satellites over the U.S.
XM Satellite Radio uses 3 stationary satellites that always stay positioned near teh equator. XM has 2 back up satellites in case shit happens.

What determines the signal strength in city areas with tall buildings will mostly depend on how many repeaters there are. Repeaters carry a mHz frequency across land just as terrestrial radio does (FM radio) XM happens to have more repeaters than SIRIUS, but that is all changing in 2008.
Sirius plans to launch a 4th satellite ( a stationary satellite) to increase signal strength as well as using more repeaters. Technology for both companies is becoming better.
By 2009 XM and SIRIUS both plan to have digital video satellite installed in all newer cars.

To keep up on up to date information a wikipedia FAQ page was started for both companies. They are updated regularly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM_Satellite_Radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIRIUS_Satellite_Radio

If you want to know what cities Sirius Satellite radio has flawless reception due to repeaters here is the listings.
http://www.topsatelliteradio.com/rep...ity-sirius.php
Old 02-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
tammha

tammha is an unknown quantity at this point
XM and Sirius will be merging sometime starting at the end of the year.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #18
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammha
XM and Sirius will be merging sometime starting at the end of the year.
Mel Karmazin will be the CEO of Sirius/XM in 2008, only if FCC regulatory issues on there license's can get dropped.
Word is for every share that XM owners have they will get 3 sirius shares in the merger( the combination of synergies is combining sirius at a premium price to XM). If the regulations on there licenses are dropped. Looks like I better start buying some XM shares.......Sirius basically is in the processes of buyi8ng all of XM's 4.8Billion shares for ownership of the company from what I understand....
I just wonder how they will be able to make the programming from both companies compatible with the different receivers. I own sirius receivers so when the 2 companies do merge how will I get reception of XM's satellites?????

FYI SIRIUS now has 198 channels of music,news, sports and entertainment.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #19
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie

FYI SIRIUS now has 198 channels of music,news, sports and entertainment.
Wow they should have just made their highest station numbered 1000 then people would go and say they have 1000 stations, my cable tv goes up to ch 5oo but ill be lucky to get over 100 actual stations.

Still though sirius is great imo. I have it in the car, its all i listen to, however quality could be better for sound.