Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
themobtheory

Trader Rating: (0)
themobtheory is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Mob Theory Street Car Build

We are building a demo car for our shop. It is Dani's 1992 Nissan S13 240sx Hatchback. Built redtop SR20DET, adjustable suspension, and widebody conversion. Should be in the neighborhood of 350-400 whp/tq. This thing has to be ready in 33 days from the time we are writing this. Triple Crown Drift's Driftoberfest in Colorado is October 19-20. We have quite a lot to do, but we'll get it there. We'll be updating the thread as the build progresses. Looking forward to seeing it all come together. We're offering wicked deals on any parts we use in our street car. Everything from any of the companies below is on sale until the end of 2012! Contact us for more details.

Sale Parts (subject to change as build continues)
DefĂ*
Exedy
Whiteline
Mishimoto
ARP
Aeromotive
CP
Eagle
Brian Crower
Megan Racing
Circuit Sports
ACL
Cometic
Gates
Stance
Origin

-TJ & Dani
[email protected]
250 Shepherd Trail #B

Last edited by themobtheory; 09-27-2012 at 01:45 PM..
themobtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Given you have 33 days to finish I will approve thread. Also IMO if the above is what is supposed to clean like it would be 400X cleaner without the paint down the side.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
themobtheory

The last couple days have been simply stripping the car down to the bare chassis so we can start the process of removing sound deadening, seam sealer, and undercoating. Following that will be the new front wheel tubs, along with stitch welding the seams. These cars are decently built cheap sports cars, but they are spot welded together and half of what rigidity they do have comes from the seam sealer. Below are the first pics of the process.

All torn down.

Dani removing the sound deadening from the interior while I prep the engine bay for wheel tubs and stitch welding.

Tubs are beginning to take shape. Just tacked for now. 16g a sheet metal comes from Pacific on Monday to close everything in. Trailer fenders work very well for the tubs, and they help prevent wrinkling a flat sheet that we would try to bend ourselves. Saves a lot of time.

Stitch welding commence!

Overall engine bay last night at around midnight.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Front wheels yellow would look cool with the side graphic idea!

In for speed build
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
jdm_rydaa
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jdm_rydaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
it should be a good build. ill stay in tune with it. goodluck guys.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
myKAl
Zilvia Member

myKAl is an unknown quantity at this point
think it looks dope, just remove the final from the front bumper
myKAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
themobtheory

Just got the first of the wheels back from Powder Coating of Montana. Looks great! Gonna have some paint matched to it for the cage and engine bay.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
zneubauer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
zneubauer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
get it finished!
zneubauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
TallguyBoost

Trader Rating: (1)
TallguyBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Subscribed for a cool, quick build.
TallguyBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Subscribed for hot chick working on a car...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
themobtheory

3 days strait of grinding removing all the interior sound deadening and undercoating. The undercoating is quite resilient, and for anyone looking to take it off, I'd recommend paying the extra cash to have it sandblasted or acid dipped so that you can save your back. And if you don't have a lift, forget about it. Not worth it. But between all the sound deadening and the undercoating we saved almost 100 pounds of dead weight, so it was actually well worth the effort. Tonight and tomorrow we are working on the front tubs and the cage. cage will be wrapped up and the car headed to paint ideally early this week. Getting crazy around here!

Dani trying to avoid the dust. The stuff gets everywhere.

Working on the front wheel well.

Front wheel well done.

Rear wheel well done.

This is, hands down, the best tool we've found for the undercoating.

You can see the difference it makes. When this goes to paint, it'll look much more professional and it'll be easier to clean the underside.

The mostly cleaned underside. We'll be coating it using POR-15. Stuff dries rock hard and is almost impossible to chip. Should work well with all the gravel they use on the roads here in Montana.

After an hour of trying to cut off the factory tow hooks, we broke out the plasma cutter.

The dust that the undercoating produces is rather substantial. Instead of blowing it all off with the air, we rolled it outside and hosed it down.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
I hate/love por 15 lol. Dont get it on you
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
I hate/love por 15 lol. Dont get it on you
Doesn't seem to matter what precautions you use, though... inevitably it gets on you!

Good luck with the build... subbed for quick updates
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
themobtheory

a guy from the local Montana SCCA forums added some low rider flair to one of the pics...

Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Cima
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (-1)
Cima is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
this is lookin sick
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
themobtheory

finally finished the stitch welding last night. unfortunately, since bozeman doesn't have an acid dip facility large enough for an entire chassis, the seams still contained enough seam sealer to cause problems with welding in certain areas. Fortunately, the contamination can mostly be burned/melted out with a torch. It just takes an incredibly long time. We also were able to prep the rusted areas along the windshield inlay and the passenger rear quarter glass with POR-15. Took every precaution and still ended up with a small amount on my hands. Stuff won't come off so I'll just wait it out. On the up side, the rust is taken care of and looks great! Cant wait to do the underside with POR-15.

Today is onto the front tubs, and then the cage. Dropped of the CP pistons to Wes at Internal Combustion Machine and should have the block back soon. Looking forward to making more progress! Paint has arrived and it looks AWESOME. I'll try and get some photos of it today.

The CP 9:1 86.5mm pistons. Best quality control I've ever seen from a piston company.

Car up on the lift for the final stitching job.

Despite the contaminants, we still got decent penetration on the welds.

Rear Trunk area.

Wheel well with decent penetration as well. Considering the conditions we were welding in, I'm satisfied with the final product.

Removing the rear subframe bushings. Old weak rubber out, Aluminum subframe inserts, in!

The POR-15 on the rusted areas. That is not POR-15 dripping down the side of the car, it's just the surface prep.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Bumpkin203
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Bumpkin203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
crazy build, doin work i love it!

Instagram @bankai_r32
Bumpkin203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
knifedag007

knifedag007 is an unknown quantity at this point
In for a speed build. Things are looking good.
knifedag007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
In for the finale!!!!!!! Keep up the good work .. Nothing likea dealine to get shizz rollin! Thx for sharing
Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Are you guys familiar with Black Smoke LLC out there in Bozeman? My cousin works there and her BF owns it. She told me there is a 240 shop next door, so I was just curious lol.

Build looks awesome- wild tear down! Good luck with the rest of it.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
themobtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Are you guys familiar with Black Smoke LLC out there in Bozeman? My cousin works there and her BF owns it. She told me there is a 240 shop next door, so I was just curious lol.

Build looks awesome- wild tear down! Good luck with the rest of it.
Haha. Steff! Kenny is a great guy and seems to stay pretty busy. The two of them are good people. And yes, we would be the "240 shop" next door.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by themobtheory View Post
Haha. Steff! Kenny is a great guy and seems to stay pretty busy. The two of them are good people. And yes, we would be the "240 shop" next door.
LOL, that's them! Too funny man. Such a small world! Very cool.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
themobtheory

Yesterday and last night was devoted to the front wheel tubs. I picked up a couple trailer fenders to use as they are curved from the factory and adds quite a bit of quality to have the curved edge bent, not welded. Using the CAD skills I've acquired over the years (cardboard aided design) we cut the fenders into shape, and assembled the sheet metal around them to close off the engine bay. For anyone wondering, the tubs allow for much greater steering angle without contacting the factory bodywork. Sent off our front knuckles to GSR Autosport in Lake Forest, CA to be modified for further increases in angle. They have a jig based on the driftworks knuckles and they can correct for roll center. Plus, GSR is much cheaper than most of the other highly known knuckles modifying companies out there. Enough plugging, now for the pictures.

CAD being put to good use on the passenger tub.

Tacking everything up and getting ready for final welding.

Welding complete.

Driver side commence.

Second side always goes faster sine the templates are so similar to each other.

Tubs last night.

After some research, we decided to add some support from the top of the tubs to the strut towers. Word is that some guys have been having issues with stress fractures in their welds at this juncture. Extra support can't hurt.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
one of the reasons I come to this site...
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #25
themobtheory

just got in more parts for the car. Big thanks to FRsport.com! Paint came in as well, and it looks awesome. Tons of metallic, but not so much as to be obnoxious. Looking forward to getting this bad boy sprayed!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
themobtheory

Last couple days have been rather hectic. Running a shop while doing a record-time build is proving difficult. Finished off the tubs, and started on the cage, but had to take a while to handle some business issues. Here is the first part of the cage build.

Dani starting on the base plates. Card stock is much easier to cut precisely than cardboard.

The final plates.

Baileigh makes the best notcher out there, in my opinion. Lots of them work very well, but this particular one is thin and grips tubing along bends very easily and allows rotation very easily. The other benders I've used have been more difficult to perform simple adjustments. I love this thing.

I use the extra tripods I have laying around from 10 years of video production to finitely adjust the height on the bar support for the bender. This lets me keep the bends perfectly level and take some strain off of the bender and the die.

Main hoop finished, using the flat floor and straight line method. fits like a glove. So tight that we have to ratchet the ends to get it to fit in.

The A-pillar bars are the most difficult bars to bend since they are compound bends. I used some extra tubing laying around to tack up a template and get as close as possible to the angles and rotation that we needed.

Was able to translate all the template angles into bends and the final 21 degree rotation for the front bar. Doing it this way takes more time than a halo, which eliminates the compound bends, but I think this looks more professional and while it may not be any measurable amount of safety increase, I feel it is a safer method, as you eliminate welds in two very critical corners of the cage.

Here you can see the final bend and how much it jogs because of the compound bends.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #27
turbo98
Zilvia Member

turbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of lightturbo98 is a glorious beacon of light
Very nice, sir.
turbo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #28
Xicor01
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Xicor01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hopping along for the ride, How did you two get this awesome job?
Xicor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
themobtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xicor01 View Post
Hopping along for the ride, How did you two get this awesome job?
It's a long story and involves Dani's side business. I'd be happy to tell you via pm, if you'd like.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #30
treeafodo

treeafodo is an unknown quantity at this point
The attention to detail is amazing! Subscribing!
treeafodo is offline   Reply With Quote