Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
KA 3" exhaust before/after dyno

A few days ago I threw my stock KA24de 240sx on the dyno, bolted on a 3" catback exhaust system and ran it again... here are the results.

This is on my completely stock (intake and all) 100,000 mile 5spd '98 240sx.

Last edited by anyotherone; 02-27-2006 at 01:33 PM..
anyotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How about a larger graph.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I just noticed how small photobucket re-sized it too.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Ok, that's better. I'm not sure what's causing the weirdness at 4k rpms... but the graph is what it is... the only change is the catback.

Now that I own a dyno I intend to map every change I make to the car... I just thought that making an easy to find post with a comparison might help somebody making a decision on what exhaust system to buy for their stock(ish) 240sx.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
sil80forme
Zilvia Junkie

sil80forme can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to sil80forme
are u kidding me? those numbers are rediculously low. I got 143hp and and 147 tq with just a 3in exhaust and intake, i got the vid to prove just gotta upload the sucker, i think i would look into ur motor cause that seems a lil low lo me.
sil80forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

A dyno is only good for comparison. Unless you drove down here to TX and dynoed back to back with me, comparing your numbers to mine is completely pointless.

The point is that I didn't loose any power down low. Everywhere across the curve I gained power.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
OdessaS13
Zilvia Addict

OdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the roughOdessaS13 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to OdessaS13
what catback did you use?

1992 240sx 5 spd. - Sold / 02 Maxima Se
OdessaS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Blitz Realize TT... it's almost as quiet as stock.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
yeah there was a freshalloy dyno that pretty much confirmed the same thing many years ago.

80mm piping on a ka n/a = no losses anywhere in the power band.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
he proved that putting a 3 in exhaust on a stock ka will not take away power down low... and its as quite as stock, almost. Sweet next, get an intake, and dyno it again, and it'll be alot higher, because more flow in and out of the engine.
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
sil80forme
Zilvia Junkie

sil80forme can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to sil80forme
ok sorry i just never had a stock 240 ever show under 130hp on a dyno
sil80forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #12
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

No problem sil80 - to be honest I was thinking the same thing at first. Our dynojet tends to read a little lower than average, just based on what I usually see on forums and such.

I'm going to test it again with an intake, then S13 cams, then possibly a custom intake manifold, tuned with my AEM EMS.

I'm basically just having some fun before a built KA goes in along with a custom turbo setup.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
trsilvias13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
trsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sil80forme
ok sorry i just never had a stock 240 ever show under 130hp on a dyno

what if he is using a mustang dyno and you always use a dynojet.

Like the original poster said, do compare unless you are willing to drive down to him and use the same dyno. otherwise saying you got XXXRWHP is sort of pointless.
trsilvias13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do you think that the 3" yields more gains than 2.5"? (I know they both have gains, just curious. I have a 2.5" right now)
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

I can't say for certain, but I would speculate that 2.5" would make less power, especially at higher rpms. I can't say for sure, and the difference could be very small.

No way to know for sure unless you test them back to back.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
2.5 inch would probably have better low end torque while the 3 inch has better high-rpm power.

8whp is pretty good for an otherwise stock Ka. Thanks for the dyno info.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #17
Nan Desu Ka?!
Zilvia FREAK!

Nan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to allNan Desu Ka?! is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Nan Desu Ka?!
yay. I was like 95% sure my 3" was perfect for my NA KADE, but this just confirms it. I wonder what im putting out with my intake + exhuast +rebuilt motor with around 15k and full synthetic fluids??? makes me more confident when i go to replace my exhuast (canister is too big and preventing me from going as low as I want in the rear... can we say raked as hell? lol) that i will definatly go 3" again.

Thanks and +1 for you sir.

Norcal-240sx.net
Nan Desu Ka?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #18
fatalfury64
Leaky Injector

fatalfury64 can only hope to improve
is this including a straight pipe in the dyno? i was thinking of getting the tanabe medallion concept g blue. its made for turbo applications, but wondering if you'll get results like yours or more without turbo.
fatalfury64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #19
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neejay
Do you think that the 3" yields more gains than 2.5"? (I know they both have gains, just curious. I have a 2.5" right now)
Slipnfall of NICO just dynoed his 2.5" BRM exhaust. Peak HP was 7.2 gained, and torque was I believe 6.8FT/LB.s gained if I remember correctly.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=147604
His exhaust uses a resonator which cut's back on exhaust flow and increases back pressure. I've also seen dyno's with 2.5" making almost 8HP without a resonator, and a canister type instead of muffler type.
Dyno dipping on the KA is typical at 4000RPM....
BigVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #20
1Via!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1Via!
I just got a 5zigen rocket exhaust(3", straight, no resonator) and expereinced a lot less power than I did with a custom 2.5" with a big resonator and a high flow cat. So, i bought a 2.5" cat which gave me the back pressure that I was lacking. I estimate I'm at around 145hp and roughly the same torque.
This is in my s13 with a 1998 KA24DE, 65k miles with an ebay underdrive pulley and stripped emissions. I have no problem pulling on my friends KAs throughout the powerband.

Hopefully I will dyno the car soon.

Anyways, I got a bit off topic. I think that if you do get a 3" on a NA KA you need a resonator or cat to provide sufficient horsepower and torque.
1Via! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:06 PM   #21
AllenRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

AllenRPS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r
2.5 inch would probably have better low end torque while the 3 inch has better high-rpm power.

8whp is pretty good for an otherwise stock Ka. Thanks for the dyno info.
i totally agree with u!!!
AllenRPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:20 PM   #22
Ricks15
Nissanaholic!

Ricks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud of
2.5in wont loose low end tourqe but if you bolt on a big ol Turbo size N1 muffler to that pipeing then you loose backpreasure,
Ricks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #23
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Back-pressure rumor is bullshit and has been disproved many times including by me:

Oh, that was on an auto tranny too.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:42 AM   #24
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
daymn i love how u ladies always get disgruntled about the KA topics...

all good, maybe i should throw my 208k 16v to see where its numbers are...
Old 02-28-2006, 02:09 AM   #25
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
dooooo iiiiiit.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #26
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks15
2.5in wont loose low end tourqe but if you bolt on a big ol Turbo size N1 muffler to that pipeing then you loose backpreasure,

You want to lose back pressure. Back pressure is a sound deadening effect that prevents your exhaust from getting to loud. All it does is send pulses back up the exhaust sooner than later, which isn't all that good either, unless you like lots of scavaging, or hot exhaust gasses sent back up the EGR into the mani.
Back pressure does serve to maintain good smog emissions, and is no way a performance enhancer to have it. This is true and has always been determined by increased piping diameter as a performance enhancer, or doing to the effect of what is called header out, or cutting pipe where it goes cold.
The fact is I live in Cali so I selected a 2.5" pipe to deaden a little bit of noise, and to keep it lower than 95dB. I understand that perferatted pipe is a sound deadener (resonators) and is associated with back pressure, and pulses to run back up my header and cause flow issues. So I selected a cat back exhaust with no resonators. I just didn't want a 3" horn blaring out the rear of my car, weither it had a resonator or not, i just wanted constant, uninterupted FLOW.
The 2.5" over 3" debate is stupid, bigger is better. It's just the crap added to the CAT back that can make or break a CAT back as a performance enhancer. It's just a matter of what works with purpose over function.

For purpose and function I have selected a 2.5".
But if I didn't need a purpose, and just to serve for function, I would use a 3"....
BigVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #27
Ricks15
Nissanaholic!

Ricks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud of
Hey man I was wondering with my custom Exhaust setup I got its 2.5in but no straight pipe its bent and routed just like the stock exhaust that was on the car originally, So you're saying backpreasure is worthless if you're trying to make HP, But tourqe is also sacraficed becasue with my set up I have very little tourqe like I used to when I had the stock exhaust on my car.
Ricks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #28
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks15
But tourqe is also sacraficed becasue with my set up I have very little tourqe like I used to when I had the stock exhaust on my car.
How do you know this?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #29
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoOfSilence
dooooo iiiiiit.
LOL, maybe after i change out the 10k old oil.... with the walmart spacial.. $1.25 son
Old 02-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #30
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

Cashizslick can only hope to improve
These are pretty nice numbers for gains on a KA.

Its know that you can bolt on a 3in exhaust on a stock KA and not see a power loss. That way, if you go the usual route with a 240 (turbocharge via swap or KAT) you dont have to upgrade the exhaust again to get the most out of it.

With hondas that was always the problem. You would lose power on a 3ich exhaust regardless of the motor - 2&1/4inch piping was a must. The thing that sucked was that you'd have to upgrade to a 3inch system if you went turbo . . .

BUMP for good gains on the KA
Cashizslick is offline   Reply With Quote