Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
MKuma64

Trader Rating: (0)
MKuma64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB RB25DETNEO Questions

To start off before I get flamed: I have searched for a lot of this information and all of the answers that I did find were very vague and included "probably" in the sentences. I don't seem to find much information on the NEO so I am hoping that those of you who have had experience with one could help me out.

I am looking into seriously purchasing an RB25X engine, I would really like to install a NEO in my S14 but I want to know what I will be getting into before I sell my kidney . Also, this will be my first time doing something this major on a car, but I am committed to learn.

Questions:
1. Are there any guides available online that I can roughly follow?(I have looked but can't seem to find one, just S1/S2 RB25's.
2. Is a NEO install really that much trouble compared to a regular RB25? If so is it worth the install if I can find the motorsets for the same price?(I have a power goal of roughly 350whp) (anybody with personal experience)
3. What are the differences that I would have to worry about If I did decided to install the NEO. ( I know that the NEO has solid lifters, greater lift on cams, RB26 Pistons??, Stronger Connecting Rods, Larger Turbo, Traction control, Better emissions, Pull type clutch)
4. Are the parts that much harder to find when it comes to the small stuff?
5. I know wiring is supposedly a pain, do the harnesses really eliminate all that hassle?
6. Can I keep the A/C and Heating with the NEO engine?
7. Not really a question but, whoever has had experience please post why you would/wouldn't recommend installing an RB25DET-NEO over a S1/S2 RB25DET.
MKuma64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
G-E@Z31P
Leaky Injector

G-E@Z31P is an unknown quantity at this point
Electrically it's not much different to a series 2, mechanically it shares some parts with both the rb26 and rb25, and the standard rwd trans is beefy (push type)...

The only thing hard to find ready made would be pistons, because the chambers are different, the pistons aren't the standard height/shape, not a big hurdle, but don't dream of finding forged pistons "cheap" heh

Some people say the rb26 is still better, I say it's different... and you're more likely to get one in good shape, not beat up by excitable kids
Old 10-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most items can be found now, but they they'll be limited.

To me the NEO is a go option and I loved my hands down. When tuned and around the same power range of a 26 there it holds its own. 350 is a walk in the park, for a NEO with basic upgrades. Wiring Specialities list harnesses for the NEO to S14, I brought a harness from them almost a decade ago and it's still holding strong. I've owned cars that were powered by SR. and Series 1 & NEO RB's the NEO has been the best hands down. It delivers torgue and if fun to drive even in stock form. As far as installing in an S14 I ve seen it done but dont have first hand knowledge. I brought my engine from Japan so I might do this one day.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
MKuma64

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been doing research and it seems to be the better option, one of the things I was looking for was the power delivery and by the sound of it is exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone know where I can find an FSM in English for the NEO? (Maybe something that was translated?)
Old 10-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #5
G-E@Z31P
Leaky Injector

G-E@Z31P is an unknown quantity at this point
R34 skyline or stagea FSM would cover it, but you'd have to find an aussie or british manual... I haven't heard of a complete one surfacing yet
Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Clutch Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Dog
bump for wiring specialties. *thumbs up*

i was with them when they started out. now if they could only make a damn 1uz to S14 wiring harness....
Old 10-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
MKuma64

Again, thanks for the responses. While I keep stumbling on information I can't seem to find any information on keeping the stock Intake Manifold (I know it's ugly but..) and deleting traction control (Can I just disable the throttle blade to delete TCS? Will it throw a code?) since the Q45 throttle body doesn't fit. I don't really want the torque curve to shift up since it is a daily driver and many people say that cylinder 6 leans out with a side mounted Intake Mani such as a Freddy/Greddy. Also I have been looking to keep A/C and heat because of the somewhat extreme temperatures where I live. My main concerns are the fact that RB25's in S-chassis seem to run hot in general and the fact on how to actually installing A/C without blocking airflow or increasing the heat of the engine by much is a mystery to me. As far as I know the RB25DET-NEO runs hotter (ULEV EMISSIONS?) but I do not know by how much.

Last edited by MKuma64; 10-14-2014 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
get rid of the oem intake. this guy actually has been through the rb game foe a while, albeit he has a s13

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/rb...ject-s-rb.html
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
MKuma64

supersaiyanjim, while I appreciate the response, I'm talking about the RB25DET-NEO, the NEO comes with TCS, the link is a regular RB25DET as far as I know.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
TCS wont even be wired so maybe its a simple as disabling it physically. If you lose the mani I think its a moot point. I seen a thread on it but I kept mine on 99% of the time. It does help to disable during lauches it if your skilled enough.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #11
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Check the aussie forums.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
if you look on the last few pages HE HAS A NEO!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote