Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #451
Milspec180
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Milspec180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Also I'm try to make a list of everything I need for a budget.
Milspec180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #452
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Broadfield, what are your thoughts about those universal speaker baffles? I've seen ABS plastic and foam material ones.

Was thinking of buying these to put in the 'vert at all 4 speakers. Currently has 6.5" all-around with eBay door adapters. Would these baffles actually improve sound quality as they claim to do or just a waste of money?

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #453
stevensspeedshop1986

stevensspeedshop1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a speaker mod that I haven't seen on another 240sx.

[IMG][/IMG]

I cut a sheet of Medium Density Fiberboard (used for speakerboxes), wrapped it in a textured vinly, and squeezed a 10" sub and two 6.5" speakers into the hole from the trunk passthrough. The sheet of MDF is mounted using two bolts, two large washers, and the existing threaded holes from the back seat latch mechanism (can't see them in this pic).
stevensspeedshop1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #454
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
Broadfield, what are your thoughts about those universal speaker baffles? I've seen ABS plastic and foam material ones.

Was thinking of buying these to put in the 'vert at all 4 speakers. Currently has 6.5" all-around with eBay door adapters. Would these baffles actually improve sound quality as they claim to do or just a waste of money?
Don't do it! The speaker is designed to use the cavity of the door or trunk as it's "enclosure". You will kill all of your mid-bass if you use them.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #455
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Don't do it! The speaker is designed to use the cavity of the door or trunk as it's "enclosure". You will kill all of your mid-bass if you use them.
Good to know. Thanks.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #456
S T Y L E S
Leaky Injector

S T Y L E S is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking to get a decent sound out of my HU
What would you recommend for one with a budget?
Want to get aftermarket speakers and amp to power them
S T Y L E S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #457
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by S T Y L E S View Post
Looking to get a decent sound out of my HU
What would you recommend for one with a budget?
Want to get aftermarket speakers and amp to power them
What features are you looking for? I need to know a lot more info than looking for one with "decent sound": single DIN, double DIN, touch screen, no touch screen, NAV, BT, SAT, HD, steering wheel controls, bad boy EQ etc. etc? Another helpful fact would be what your budget is?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #458
S T Y L E S
Leaky Injector

Quote:
What features are you looking for? I need to know a lot more info than looking for one with "decent sound": single DIN, double DIN, touch screen, no touch screen, NAV, BT, SAT, HD, steering wheel controls, bad boy EQ etc. etc? Another helpful fact would be what your budget is?
$200 budget I have a head unit Already just want good sounding speakers and decent amp just incase I get a sub later
Old 07-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #459
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S T Y L E S View Post
$200 budget I have a head unit Already just want good sounding speakers and decent amp just incase I get a sub later
Ok, I need info man!

What vehicle is this for? If it's an S13, is it a hatch, coupe or vert? How many pairs of speakers are you wanting? As for the amp, are you implying that you want it to be able to also power a sub in addition to the mid/high speakers or you just need it to power a sub?... or just the mid/high speakers?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 07-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #460
S T Y L E S
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Ok, I need info man!

What vehicle is this for? If it's an S13, is it a hatch, coupe or vert? How many pairs of speakers are you wanting? As for the amp, are you implying that you want it to be able to also power a sub in addition to the mid/high speakers or you just need it to power a sub?... or just the mid/high speakers?
My bad
It's for a s14 zenki 4 speakers, and a amp to power sub and speakers
Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #461
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You have $200 for 4 speakers and a 5 channel amp?
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #462
greddy2die
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
greddy2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greddy2die
lol I was thinking the same thing. hahaha

I spent close to 1k on just speakers & an amp for my car with Toby & I couldnt be happier.
greddy2die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #463
Eplejus

Eplejus will become famous soon enoughEplejus will become famous soon enoughEplejus will become famous soon enoughEplejus will become famous soon enough
Just bought a Pioneer AVH-X7500BT and Alpine SPG-17C2 and CS speakers for my S14 (Got the speakers dirt cheap from a friend)

But I would also like to fit a small 4 ch amplifier, that is easy to hide somewhere in the dash.

I have been looking at this one: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html

Waste of money or will it work out just fine for me? Can't be any worse than the internal HU amp?
Eplejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #464
pulsar

pulsar is an unknown quantity at this point
Eplejus - I would spend a little more and get the 5 channel amp from Broadfield for $250 instead, however Sonicelectronix.com has great customer service I can attest to from my past purchases with them. I had to return some Earthquake 6.5" subwoofers cause they were terrible and they did it no problem. I really wish there was tiny subs that had decent bass to get some trunk space back. (I have a compact box already with a dual voice coil 10" woofer currently)
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #465
Eplejus

Eplejus will become famous soon enoughEplejus will become famous soon enoughEplejus will become famous soon enoughEplejus will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
Eplejus - I would spend a little more and get the 5 channel amp from Broadfield for $250 instead, however Sonicelectronix.com has great customer service I can attest to from my past purchases with them. I had to return some Earthquake 6.5" subwoofers cause they were terrible and they did it no problem. I really wish there was tiny subs that had decent bass to get some trunk space back. (I have a compact box already with a dual voice coil 10" woofer currently)
Well, I'm not going to be using a subwoofer, so not sure if I've would need a 5 ch amp.

After some searching, I also found this. A litte bigger than the NVX, but should still be easy to hide under the dash or front passenger seat.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...tails/pbr300x4

Costs just a tad more than the NVX.
Eplejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #466
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

That Rockford amp is ok... absolutely does not output the power that it claims to. But at that small it just isn't possible. So if you absolutely need something that small, then I would go with the Rockford. I can do it for $169 shipped. Otherwise I would get a real amplifier and go with an ARC Audio or similar.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #467
CostFree
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
CostFree is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey Broadfield, I have Polk Audio 2 way speakers and the brackets for my rear deck but I can't seem to fit them in the factory holes. Any solutions? Sorry I am noob at installing things.
CostFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #468
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostFree View Post
Hey Broadfield, I have Polk Audio 2 way speakers and the brackets for my rear deck but I can't seem to fit them in the factory holes. Any solutions? Sorry I am noob at installing things.
I would need to know what kind of vehicle you have before I can help you at all.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #469
CostFree
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I would need to know what kind of vehicle you have before I can help you at all.
Sorry about that 96 s14.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #470
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Sorry about that 96 s14.
6-1/2" speakers fit just fine without any sort of brackets. What size of speaker do you have and what are these brackets you speak of?

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #471
CostFree
Leaky Injector

Quote:
6-1/2" speakers fit just fine without any sort of brackets. What size of speaker do you have and what are these brackets you speak of?
I have the Polk Audio DB 651s 6 1/2'' and the SCOSCHE bracket.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #472
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I have the Polk Audio DB 651s 6 1/2'' and the SCOSCHE bracket.
I don't know what you are struggling with... do the speakers not fit in the brackets, do the brackets not line up with the OEM holes? I have never used brackets... they are not necessary. I just drop the speaker in the OEM hole and zip the screws into the metal.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 11-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #473
Teh Luckinator
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Teh Luckinator is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
has anyone attempted to do this?

mostly directed to mr. broadfield, but i see that stevensspeedshop1986 attempted something similar. very clever. do you have more pictures? interested to see a shot from the trunk.

i couldn't find anymore pictures of this burst car's interior, but i think it's a great idea. some thing's come to mind though. by the looks of it it seems like the whole trunk area would act as the enclosure. which means it probably sounds terrible.

maybe it's an open-air sub? i doubt it.

if it's possible i'd like to do something like this:

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/s...wall-s13-coupe

looks clean. would ideally put the sub right in the middle, pretty much what fujio akihito did in his burst car. it's not made out of MDF, but would it really matter if the whole trunk was used as an enclosure? was also thinking that a box could be made to sit behind that panel and would still be an enclosure to the sub. but that's a lot of work.

stevensspeedshop1986, really interested to see more of your setup. how's it sound?
More than Lucky lives in stockton?
Teh Luckinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #474
ditchs14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ditchs14 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i feel like getting good sound out of a speaker setup is the last thing team burst cares about lol. im sure it just hits kinda hard and makes the trunk rattle. like you can really hear anything in that car anyway
ditchs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #475
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

If you are wanting to do that aluminum firewall then you have two basic options.

1) Use a free-air subwoofer and back that aluminum firewall up with a 3/4" piece of MDF. Make the MDF as large as possible. You will need to permanently attach it to the back of the aluminum... some form of construction adhesive etc. Then cut out the opening for the sub and bolt it into the aluminum/MDF.

2) Use a standard subwoofer and bolt a MDF enclosure for it right behind the aluminum firewall... this option will sound far superior to a free-air subwoofer. You will essentially do the same thing as option 1, but the face of the enclosure is obviously acting as the piece of MDF.

If you want the best sound possible in either situation, without much work, then I would recommend sound deadening any of the aluminum on the backside that is not covered up by MDF.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 12-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #476
Teh Luckinator
Zilvia Junkie

so the MDF will still matter even if it's only on the front portion of the (theoretic) box? damn, then it'll protrude a lot more than i wanted it to haha.

but i think i pretty much hit the nail on the head with the rest of it.

to be honest i've never heard a sub that was free air, i imagine it not being great. but it maybe something for me to consider, as i'm not looking for the best-sounding setup. i may do an mdf cutout and try out a sub that can also be free air. maybe i can even run 2 10" free airs?

thanks for the reply, sir!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #477
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Luckinator View Post
so the MDF will still matter even if it's only on the front portion of the (theoretic) box? damn, then it'll protrude a lot more than i wanted it to haha.

but i think i pretty much hit the nail on the head with the rest of it.

to be honest i've never heard a sub that was free air, i imagine it not being great. but it maybe something for me to consider, as i'm not looking for the best-sounding setup. i may do an mdf cutout and try out a sub that can also be free air. maybe i can even run 2 10" free airs?

thanks for the reply, sir!
I'm not sure what you mean in your first sentence!?!

If you are doing free-air, then you will need a piece of MDF behind(trunk side) the aluminum. So the aluminum will be sandwiched between the MDF and subwoofer. You want this MDF to be as large as possible. If you can make it cover essentially the entire back of the aluminum, then all the better!

If you are doing a sub enclosure, then the enclosure will butt up to the back of the aluminum. Again, the aluminum will be sandwiched between the enclosure and the subwoofer.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 12-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #478
Teh Luckinator
Zilvia Junkie

sorry, took me a while to think about what you meant haha. if i'm understanding correctly, the reason for MDF behind the piece of aluminum is so that the sub has a solid place to mount, NOT because it'll affect the sound, right?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #479
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Luckinator View Post
sorry, took me a while to think about what you meant haha. if i'm understanding correctly, the reason for MDF behind the piece of aluminum is so that the sub has a solid place to mount, NOT because it'll affect the sound, right?
You are correct and wrong all in one sentence. The sub needs a solid place to mount otherwise it will sound like crap. In other words, if you mount the sub to a thin piece of material, that material will flex back and forth with the movement of the cone.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 12-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #480
Teh Luckinator
Zilvia Junkie

AH I SEE. then it's definitely required haha.