Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
harangatang can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
s14 Zenki clear headlight lens

ok. I bought Circuit Sprots clear lens for my tsx retro. My question is, for other people who have bought clear lenses, did you have to trim them to make them fit?? Because they are no where near fitting right now. I dont know if its just the brand or what... Cause my tsx projectors+stock yellow lenses=glare mobile. And gross. I need to get this shit fixed.
So any input would be great!

Tyler

harangatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Come on guys... I know there's people on here with clear lens..

Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
JohnJohn86
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
JohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnJohn86 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I didn't trim mine when I put mine on. I just use a lot of silicon to seal it and hold it there. All these aftermarket lens would not fit perfect like the OEM one.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Andres_G is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn86 View Post
I didn't trim mine when I put mine on. I just use a lot of silicon to seal it and hold it there. All these aftermarket lens would not fit perfect like the OEM one.

I did a TSX retrofit and I got the final konnection ones and they weren't the exact size, but they were good enough to where I could use rubber butyl to seal them up. As poster above me said, nothing aftermarket will ever fit like oem does.
Andres_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Hmmmm. I guess I'll just trim mine some.. They're seriously no where near fitting though. Like, only one of the 4 corners lines up. What did yall use to seal them up??

Old 07-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Also, go find more of the metal clips that the stock headlights use. I added a couple more of that to keep the cover snug.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Also, go find more of the metal clips that the stock headlights use. I added a couple more of that to keep the cover snug.

what did you use to seal them? Some sort of silicon?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
the clips are good for temperature difference. in any case, a good sealer will suffice. i used black bbq grade sealant ($14.95/tube) free for me from a friend. if your headlight covers dont match up there is something seriously wrong, and the cheap price you paid versus getting them from JP may be just whats been in store for you. i got mine from Ray and am pretty damn happy with em. the heads were super easy to seal on. the corner covers were the biggest PITA ever. but well worth it for the look. 1st pic sit with the lenses custom trimmed with the black outlining of the stock covers to create the black housing effect.

SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
The Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No help here and never been a fan of the clear lense...but i have to say...I really like the way you did yours SlideWell. If I wasn't sooo lazy and broke, I'd do my damnedest to try and get the same results you have gotten.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
I also got mine from Final Konnection. The fit was alright, i did have to heat the middle section to make it a bit wider. I didn't really trim anything, although i heard that us S14 have to do some trimming.

When you use silicon to seal it make sure you tie it down. I went with 2 belt straps for 24hrs. Good luck OP
Maiku240sxS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post

First of all, I wanted to thank you because your car inspire me to do a retrofit on my zenki! And where did you get your clear covers from?... Now, as for using the clips with the clear covers, I tried using them with the Final Konnection lenses but they just didn't want to stay on, they kept on popping off. Maybe it's just me?

I used this stuff to seal them up:

Haven't really checked up on it to see how well it holds since I am unable to get to my car. Will report back once I get a chance (2 months)

And where did you guys get those clear corners from? They are pure sex! The ones I have are the origin clear corners. I would of got the ones you guys have but I didn't even knew they existed. Oh well, too late now.
Well this is what I have:

Close up:
Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideWell View Post
the clips are good for temperature difference.
I think I know what your talking about but can you elaborate more on this? And those are some sexy lights!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Well.. I got them on.. I don't have shrounds though.. Should have gotten some. O well. I used some crap called gum-gum, or dumb-dumb. I'll put some pics up tomorrow of the headlights and the sealer I used. I'm very happy though!!! Light output, clarity, and the cutoff are all amazing. Such a huge difference over the stock fluted lens.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
slideways2004
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
slideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slideways2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideWell View Post
man, you're car looks really good!! what kit is that??
slideways2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
Veracity84
BANNED

Veracity84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Zenki headlight housing:

1. You can't use the metal clips on your "Supermade" or "CS" clear lense. These new lenses don't have that "lip" for the metal "C" clips to hook onto. Just cheap and fast injection molding design.

2. You can't cut or trim the new lenses, it's useless, you just use Caulk and line it up.

3. We used a blow dryer, some "oops" or Goo Off, a couple of flat head screw drivers and patience to take off the old lenses.

4. Used large zipties or 2 ziptie connected to make one longer zip ties, to zip tie down the new lenses while the caulk dries. Put a lot of Caulk!!!! But also be careful not to get it everywhere.
Veracity84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #16
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracity84 View Post
Zenki headlight housing:

1. You can't use the metal clips on your "Supermade" or "CS" clear lense. These new lenses don't have that "lip" for the metal "C" clips to hook onto. Just cheap and fast injection molding design.

2. You can't cut or trim the new lenses, it's useless, you just use Caulk and line it up.

3. We used a blow dryer, some "oops" or Goo Off, a couple of flat head screw drivers and patience to take off the old lenses.

4. Used large zipties or 2 ziptie connected to make one longer zip ties, to zip tie down the new lenses while the caulk dries. Put a lot of Caulk!!!! But also be careful not to get it everywhere.

Wrong.. I did reuse the meal clips. In fact, I would recommend you do. Second, you take the lens's of nearly instantly if you put the headlights in the oven on 250-300 F for about 6-8 minutes. And the crap I used to reseal them is the same thing you use to seal your tailights up with. And I'm pretty sure its also the same shit that is on the headlights from the factory. So oem>random caulk crap.

Heres what I followed:
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/do...-retrofit.html

Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Weird, the email notification to this thread just came in. Anyways, are you done with your retro?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:52 AM   #18
lavolanta
Leaky Injector

lavolanta is an unknown quantity at this point
where can i make my headlight like that, any help they are yello i want them to be clear like some of the pics here specially the white car, any help please, thanks
lavolanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #19
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
You cant make them clear...you have to buy aftermarket clear lenses with no flutes on them...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #20
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Word on that 3M windo-weld ribbon sealer, it isn't the best stuff but it holds. It never really get's hard like the OEM stuff. I just got some JDM lights and once I redo my retro I will use the OEM butyl. Now that I know what not to do, the next retro will be even better!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #21
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

WTF, hmmmm

Last edited by Andres_G; 12-23-2009 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: guy before me removed his post
Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #22
importdude
Zilvia FREAK!

importdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to importdude
use nissan byuel?(SP)
search its big on hidplanet forums

built ka-t
importdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #23
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
sorry the link i was trying to post wasn't working unless you've got an account. but here's a pic of that nissan butyl sealer:

upsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #24
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

I already know about the butyl, I have the exact one in my drawer.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #25
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiperuvian View Post

Same shit I used. Just not from Nissan. Picked it up from autozone for like $9.

Here's a more recent pic with E46 shrouds:

enjoy!!
;-)

Tyler

Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #26
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Haha, same retro that I did!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #27
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
Same shit I used. Just not from Nissan. Picked it up from autozone for like $9.
Did you use the one that's made by 3M? How did you get your shrouds to stay on? Mine fell off when I used the JB weld. How did you mount yours? They look good on the JDM housings, I'm hoping to redo mine soon into the JDM ones that are in my closet. You did a great job, looks awesome! Get carried away looking at the cutoff, don't ya? LOL I love the TSX output!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #28
Mikey444
Leaky Injector

Mikey444 is making a name for him/her selfMikey444 is making a name for him/her self
You guys did your own wiring harness for the retro ?
Mikey444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #29
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres_G View Post
Did you use the one that's made by 3M? How did you get your shrouds to stay on? Mine fell off when I used the JB weld. How did you mount yours? They look good on the JDM housings, I'm hoping to redo mine soon into the JDM ones that are in my closet. You did a great job, looks awesome! Get carried away looking at the cutoff, don't ya? LOL I love the TSX output!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey444 View Post

I don't remember if it was 3M or not... But it's sticky enough to hold the covers on?? I didn't have a problem with them coming off or anything. I just reused the metal clips for extra safety I guess. And yes. The cutoff/ output is fantastic. Second best projector made so far next to the S2000 so... It's supposed to be good lol

as to the harness.... It's just a drop in hid kit I used. Real simple. Just resoldier the positive and negative wires for the low-bulbs. I used Philips 4300k bulbs and some crap Chinese hid kit.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #30
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
I don't remember if it was 3M or not... But it's sticky enough to hold the covers on?? I didn't have a problem with them coming off or anything. I just reused the metal clips for extra safety I guess. And yes. The cutoff/ output is fantastic. Second best projector made so far next to the S2000 so... It's supposed to be good lol

as to the harness.... It's just a drop in hid kit I used. Real simple. Just resoldier the positive and negative wires for the low-bulbs. I used Philips 4300k bulbs and some crap Chinese hid kit.
No, I didn't mean how your clear covers are holding on. I was wondering about your E46 shrouds, what did you use to get them to stick to the projectors? And what mounting method did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey444
This is one half of mine, made to length.