Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Thumbs up HOW TO: J30 e-brake cable for S13

Hopefully this open up more oppurtunity to use J30 rear hub/spindle assemblys on your S13 and S14 (I'll do a similar write up on the S14 soon).

S13
What is needed:

0) J30 rear hub/spindle assembly and LCA
1) S13 ebrake cables left and right side
2) J30 e-brake cables left and right side
3) Dremel with Metal cut off wheel
4) Ruler than can measure in millimeters (recommended)
5) Sharp razor blade or box knife
6) Cable swagging tool (this is the crimper)
7) Oval shaped copper sleeves (this is what gets crimped)
8) 3/8" rachet with 10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets
9) Needle nose pliers
(10) 2x4 wood atleast 5 ft long

Im not going to go into super detail im just assuming you know the gist of what to do allready and if you dont sorry.

PAY ATTENTION TO MY MEASUREMENTS IF YOU WANT YOUR SHIT FITTING GAME TIGHT!!! LOL

First you can start by taking your stock ebrake cables and cutting them like so (pic below x2):

Second you can cut the end of your cable to look like this (you can cut either from your stock cable or the J30 cable) you have some room for error. Pay attention to the measurements of the entire lenght of cable and the amount of shielding left in place, this was done on purpose.

Special note here, if you haven't cut off the end piece becasue you used the one from the stock cables now is time to do so on the J30 cables so you can complete remove the cable to avoid cutting it.

Third take your J30 ebrake cable and cut this off exactly like pictures:

Notice the end piece is cut off here, this allows for removal of inner cable so you dont cut it in half:

I'll update more in a little bit till complete.

Heres a picture of the end result, this is what it should look like when done, I need to go outside and take a picture of the overall cable lenght before end piece attached but its raining so maybe tomorrow:

UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
deesz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
deesz is making a name for him/her selfdeesz is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looks good its one of the better jobs i have seen
deesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
pacefarm
Zilvia Member

pacefarm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to pacefarm
props on the write-up. glad someone went through the trouble explaining this with pictures to go along.

how different do you think the job for an s14 would be?
pacefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalni View Post
props on the write-up. glad someone went through the trouble explaining this with pictures to go along.

how different do you think the job for an s14 would be?
Same but ofcourse different lenghts, I'll be working on a S14 soon and i'll do my best to document that one as well, I still need to finish up teh S13 one on this thread first. Thank you.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
cbates14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
cbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond reputecbates14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cbates14
great write-up!!! really appreciate you sharing this with everyone!

do you have any info on the s14 cable setup yet?
cbates14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Shift n Drift
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Shift n Drift has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
yo, i have the whole rear assembly and shit, but i mighta cut the j30 cable too short when i was at the junkyard, and that one pic after you said

"Third take your J30 ebrake cable and cut this off exactly like pictures:"

is that metal piece from an s13 or j30, if its the j30 i dont got it.

could you send me a pm, cause i prolly wont find this. thanks
Shift n Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Shift n Drift
Zilvia Junkie

Shift n Drift has a little shameless behavior in the past
my bad for bringing back a really old thread, i google j30 ebrake cable and found this
Shift n Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbates14 View Post
great write-up!!! really appreciate you sharing this with everyone!

do you have any info on the s14 cable setup yet?
Since it was dredged up, the cables work fine on an S14 if you make a set of brackets, similar to the Z32->S13 brackets. I did two cars a few months ago using the J30 rears, no cutting of the cables was needed.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift n Drift View Post
yo, i have the whole rear assembly and shit, but i mighta cut the j30 cable too short when i was at the junkyard, and that one pic after you said

"Third take your J30 ebrake cable and cut this off exactly like pictures:"

is that metal piece from an s13 or j30, if its the j30 i dont got it.

could you send me a pm, cause i prolly wont find this. thanks
Just like it says brotha, J30. That is cut from the J30 cable, this mod to teh cables was specifically for the S13.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
danman04x
Leaky Injector

danman04x is an unknown quantity at this point
Bringing this thread back from the grave. I just sis this exactly as per directions and the cable seems to be too long. Installed them and still dont have a parking brake. Did you ever get those full measurments of the cable??? Sorry to bring back something so old
danman04x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by danman04x View Post
Bringing this thread back from the grave. I just sis this exactly as per directions and the cable seems to be too long. Installed them and still dont have a parking brake. Did you ever get those full measurments of the cable??? Sorry to bring back something so old

Did you adjust the parking brake itself & did you re-mount the cables back to the subframe, or just leave them dangling?
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #12
danman04x
Leaky Injector

what do you mean adjust the parking break itself? I mounted the cables back to the subframe. I pull my ebrake and its not pulling on the lever mechanism in the parking break assembly like the cable is too long or has too much slack
Old 10-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
danman04x
Leaky Injector

Just so im right on the directions you only end up cutting the j30 ebrake cable 43mm correct?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

3NDLESS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by danman04x View Post
what do you mean adjust the parking break itself? I mounted the cables back to the subframe. I pull my ebrake and its not pulling on the lever mechanism in the parking break assembly like the cable is too long or has too much slack
He means

That little adjustment "knob" thing below the spring on the bottom of the assembly; have you touched that?
3NDLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #15
danman04x
Leaky Injector

Yea i messed with it a bit. i could try tightening it more but dont really see how thats going to make big difference. I even tried adjusting the cable at the ebrake handle. I pull the handle and there is no resistance