Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
Shopety2012
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Shopety2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
rocker arms and solid lifters?

SOMEwhat new to sr's. Doing a balls out build. The whole wrap sheet. So talking head stuff, going with the tomei solid lifter kit for obvious reasons, my question is... on some random threads in the past i remember seeing people receiving their rocker arms in bags after being sent for some kind of treatment, and also some sort of modification to the rocker arms that has something to do with the solid lifters. I want to know what treatment (even though its probably cryo), and also what kind of modification relate to the solid lifters, and why?

if you have any questions about my build id love to share, answer, and talk (: since nobody else really cares lol

thanks, tyler
Shopety2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Solid lifters are a waste... Do dual rocker arm guides.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
get a p11 cylinder head
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
get a p11 cylinder head
This. Don't waste your time with a DET head.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Shopety2012
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Solid lifters are a waste... Do dual rocker arm guides.
can you explain why they are a waste? knowledge is power
Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Sr20det head is a waste... lol

Google p11 / p12 cylinder head.

The biggest difference is the rockers are shaft mounted so no poppage at high rpm. They also flow 2X better than a det head. VVL rocks my socks!
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Shopety2012
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
Sr20det head is a waste... lol

Google p11 / p12 cylinder head.

The biggest difference is the rockers are shaft mounted so no poppage at high rpm. They also flow 2X better than a det head. VVL rocks my socks!
Yes I've read about them plenty of times, but how hard are they to find? I've probably looked 3 different times trying to find one but no luck. I was just going to build the head I have, and force CFM down it's throat
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
There are big cams with springs meant to maintain the stock lifters, without danger to them,
C2 JWT cams for example..
if you haven't already purchased all that stuff, hmu, I have a kit I have been holding onto for 4 years, but don't need, willing to let go real cheap..
I was going solid lifters too, but then learned about these back in the day.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
EatRice
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
EatRice is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a full solid head for sale with full port job supertech TI retainers
dual guide setup ect ect

- HMU
EatRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopety2012 View Post
Yes I've read about them plenty of times, but how hard are they to find? I've probably looked 3 different times trying to find one but no luck. I was just going to build the head I have, and force CFM down it's throat
Just buy a P11 SR20VE and toss the block away (has very little value, maybe $100 max to a FWD SR guy). You can get the engines for <$800 with ease.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
To piggy back off of Def, a complete VE swap or long block is your best bet. It'll have everything you need for the swap minus some necessary parts.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
If youre going balls out and plan to spend $2k on the head then yea, minus well go VE head.

I see solid lifters and Cam combo go for pretty cheap now a days so if your budget is lower then that I still suggest keeping the DET head. I believe what you are referring to is people sending in their rocker arms to get machined so both sides can use rocker arm guides instead of a shim and rocker guide for each rocker arm. This is the better way to ensure your rocker arms dont fall out during high revs.. it also eliminates the use of rocker arm stoppers, because they actually dont solve the rocker arm problem.
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #13
Shopety2012
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
If youre going balls out and plan to spend $2k on the head then yea, minus well go VE head.

I see solid lifters and Cam combo go for pretty cheap now a days so if your budget is lower then that I still suggest keeping the DET head. I believe what you are referring to is people sending in their rocker arms to get machined so both sides can use rocker arm guides instead of a shim and rocker guide for each rocker arm. This is the better way to ensure your rocker arms dont fall out during high revs.. it also eliminates the use of rocker arm stoppers, because they actually dont solve the rocker arm problem.
Good info, this thread actually is the first time I ever heard of dual guide. It makes perfect sense.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopety2012 View Post
SOMEwhat new to sr's. Doing a balls out build.
this is for the length of my message because apparently quotes dont count
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #15
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Like he said, you have the rocker machined to accept a guide shim on the other side so you run dual guide shims. You will never pop a rocker, also a good camshaft helps like the almighty JWT S4 cams. Stoppers just break the rockers and you don't have to spend a shit ton on a vvl head that is not as easy as it sounds.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #16
Shopety2012
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Like he said, you have the rocker machined to accept a guide shim on the other side so you run dual guide shims. You will never pop a rocker, also a good camshaft helps like the almighty JWT S4 cams. Stoppers just break the rockers and you don't have to spend a shit ton on a vvl head that is not as easy as it sounds.
Thanks, good info. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
A stock VVL head will still dominate over a mildly worked DET head from a performance standpoint. The shaft mounted rocker arms are just a side benefit. Having two cam profiles and tons of head flow is a huge jump in performance.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #18
Shopety2012
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
A stock VVL head will still dominate over a mildly worked DET head from a performance standpoint. The shaft mounted rocker arms are just a side benefit. Having two cam profiles and tons of head flow is a huge jump in performance.
This wasn't a vvl head thread man. It's very easy to find the pros of a vvl head, threads are everywhere. This thread was because I wanted to know about what I now know is a dual guide conversion.