Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 01-14-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
VLSD's In 240sx's what works and what doesn't

Ok time has come to post this since the VLSD faq and install info on 240sx.org are old and outdated.
So here we go .
What works what doesn't and so forth.

First we deal with history. Our differentials are R200's a differential Nissan has been building in one form or another since the early 80's . Yes you can find them in 280zx's but who would want one ? The casing was slightly different it has to many miles and the input and output shafts are different.
That out of the way on to the more pertinent stuff.
VLSD's Now there is a few different opinions out there as to when Nissan first officially put these babys in our cars. This is Nissans fault . When our cars first came out Nissan was still in the process of converting all there files over from microfiche to computer here in the states.
For the record the Nissan official line on this is VLSD's were offered as an option from 8/90 forward i.e. 91 model year. Now they came installed on the car with the Hicas option. You could order them though as a dealer option and were offered from some dealers in what was called a tow package. Most of the time cars that came with VLSD's quite often also had the ABS option. Some 5 speed LE's came with the ABS VLSD package . Our own S13grl owns one of these cars.
On S14's VLSD's were sold as options on the SE models but just because it was an SE model did not mean it had a VLSD same goes with S13 ABS cars.

That out of the way gearing for the American version of the Nissan factory VLSD in S13's and S14's is 4.08.
Now on to the more interesting stuff which other American Nissans equipped with VLSD's will work in our cars.

300zx Turbo will not work to large!
300zx NA will work has the same gears as our cars but you need to either get pre 95 J30 5 bolt axles to bolt them into our cars . Or try to order the forever back ordered 240sx VLSD output shafts to replace the 300zx VLSD output shafts. I recommend the J30 route its a lot cheaper with less down time.
Infinity Q45 this one has 3:70 gears and a larger input flange so your driveshaft would not mate up with it.
Ifinity M20 will not work different pumpkin.
Infinity J30 pre 95 3:92 gears will work as long as you use the axles from the J30 as well.
Infinity J30 95 and up 3:92 gears will bolt in do not need to use the J30 aaxles.
Now on the J30 differentials the ABS sensor is located at the front of the differential. This makes a 1/2 difference in driveshaft lengths on cars that did not come with ABS those that did are good to go.
Some people have installed these without shortening there driveshafts. They basically compress there center support bearing on S14's. On S13's the center support bearing is on the front half of the driveshaft.So you cannot do that .
There is word on the net there is a way to make these work without shortening the driveshaft or compressing the center support bushing but I have not seen actual proof of this as of yet.
This can actually be a good time to get a single piece aluminum driveshaft made and actually save about 15lbs of inertial drag weight on your drivetrain thereby freeing up HP.

Thats it in a Nutshell folks , have a good night

may the drift be with you

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2003, 08:47 PM   #2
Kenta

Trader Rating: (0)
Kenta is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy just to be clear........

both the s13 and s14 VLSD are the exact same model and specifications??

and would they bolt into right into one another??

what about for example, an S13 w/ABS VLSD into a S14 w/o ABS VLSD and vice versa, etc.

thanks!!
Old 02-12-2003, 11:27 AM   #3
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
and to answer your question. The differences between the S13 VLSD and S14 VLSD are as follows . The back cover on the S14 is two bolt it is 4 bolt on the S13 . When you put a J30 VLSD or S14 VLSD into a S13 you put the S13 cover on. The only other difference is the eyelets for the front mount bolts on the S14 are wider and use a rubber donut with a steel plate on top and bottomif you get these items you can bolt the S14 VLSD into the S13 without a problem. As far as the ABS goes it is explained in the faq but I will spell it out for you. If you are installing a ABS VLSD into either car that did not have it there will be 1/2 inch difference in your driveshaft length due to the ABS sensor being on the front of the carrier. I.E. It makes the VLSD case a 1/2 inch longer.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 04-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
Crab Spirits
Leaky Injector

Crab Spirits is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Crab Spirits
The 1988 300zx turbo "Special Edition" or "SS/SE" came with a 3.7 VLSD R200. This may be the same unit as 240sx since it came with halfshafts exclusive to this unit. It was the rarest z ever made though, so it probly doesn't help you very much. Just throwing that out there. More info on this car here:
http://z31.com/ss/
Old 04-16-2003, 11:29 PM   #5
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

qoute....
{The 1988 300zx turbo "Special Edition" or "SS/SE" came with a 3.7 VLSD R200. This may be the same unit as 240sx since it came with halfshafts exclusive to this unit. It was the rarest z ever made though, so it probly doesn't help you very much. Just throwing that out there. More info on this car here:}

Ok this is not really a worthwhile addition to this faq. reason being that is a rare car and the ouput shafts are most likely not the same. Plus if you do find one its going to have high mileage due to the age.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 04-17-2003, 12:28 PM   #6
sc300turbo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
sc300turbo is making a name for him/her selfsc300turbo is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
does anyone know how much HP these rear ends will hold?...and where i could locate a J30 rear end?
im gonna build a s13 but want big hp...thanks
Jeff
Old 04-17-2003, 12:58 PM   #7
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by sc300turbo
does anyone know how much HP these rear ends will hold?...and where i could locate a J30 rear end?
im gonna build a s13 but want big hp...thanks
Jeff
You shouldn't ask questions in FAQ. But since you did, I'd figuer out what kind of driving you plan on doing, and get an aftermarket lsd (Qualiffe (sp?), Kaaz, ect.) to hold power. A VLSD is like the average all-around differential.
You can expect a Z32 diff to hold some serious power, and Boosteds14 is running a JDM J30 (I think.. go to his site and check) differential, at 400rwhp or so.
-Jeff