Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
401imports
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
401imports is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
please help! rb25 problem

Hey guys I did a rb25det neo swap in my s13. All stock except I put on a Freddy intake manifold and fmic. Now the stock turbo had alot of shaft play and looked really oily so figured it was bad but left it on there. Threw the motor in and turn it on. It runs good and sounds really healthy but after a few min it starts pouring out smoke from the exhaust and dripping oil. I don't have a down pipe yet just threw it in there. But it's dripping oil so I threw a holset turbo on there. Brand nee. Not blown and started I ft up and it's doing thr same thing. Now here is the deal. I pulled all my fmic piping off and it was filled with oil from the stock turbo. After the new one it is still clean but there is oil coming from the intake manifold. So I took off the piping and started it up let it run for a few min and turned it off and when I open the throttle oil comes out. Like alot... what could this be? Alot in there from the blown turbo? I'm getting no blow by what so ever too. Any help please
401imports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
BenRice
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
BenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What vacuum hoses do you have set up? (Best to take a pic of your car)

When i blocked the hose that went from the turbo inlet (ie the pipe that goes from the turbo inlet to the MAF) to the LHS camcover, and diverted the camcover outlet to a catch can the car would pour oil into the inlet via the small hose that goes from the RHS camcover to the inlet plenum, as well as past the oil seals in the turbo. This made it smoke badly, especially when off throttle after being on boost, it also poured a lot of oil into the turbo compressor housing and intercooler. I suspected this happened due to the head having no vacuum, thus the small amount of pressure in the head had to go somewhere. Putting the hose from the RHS camcover to the turbo inlet pipe fixed this.

I hooked my catch can up to where the aforementioned small hose that originally goes from the LHS camcover to the inlet plenum. I just blocked the inlet plenum port.

Since then, no issues with smoke or oil.

If that doesnt work, do a compression test to see if any of the cylinders are low, indicating worn rings or worn valve seals.
BenRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
401imports
Zilvia Member

But I have no intercooler piping on the car as of right now and when I run it and shut the car off and them open the throttle body that's when the oil come out. So there is oil getting into my intake manifold somehow
Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
401imports
Zilvia Member

Ok did a compression test and all cyl are from 145 to 160... took off the intake manifold to see if I could see any cracks or anything and I don't see anything. Even the intake manifold and intake ports on the head are pretty clean
Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
bvr463
Zilvia Member

bvr463 is an unknown quantity at this point
How's your valve stem seals?
bvr463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
401imports
Zilvia Member

I have no idea. That was what I was thinking. I ordered them last week should be in within a day or 2. Ima throw those In and go from there