Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
LilRebel57
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
LilRebel57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sr20det fuel smell

When driving my s14 with an s13 SR in it I get a lot of fuel smell in the cockpit and outside the car. Almost to the point to where it's unbearable. Any help from anyone else who has had this problem to maybe help me find the source of this?
LilRebel57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
LilRebel57
Leaky Injector

Nobody knows what it could be??
Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
doc_octo

doc_octo is an unknown quantity at this point
its a fuel leak. not enough information to determine anything else.
doc_octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Did you remove the charcoal canister? If so, did you block off the hardline on the passenger frame rail?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #5
CHiNo4ReaL
Leaky Injector

CHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura aboutCHiNo4ReaL has a spectacular aura about
Check the fuel filter hoses, one time mine bottom fuel hose started to leak!
CHiNo4ReaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
99% of the times ive ran into fuel smells it was either the gask tank gasket or the gas tank leaking

If thats not it track down all your fuel lines and somewhere you will find a leak or cracked hose ready to light your car on fire

As for the charcoal canister line I thought it was supposed to vent in the atmosphere and not close it off ? I've always cut mine half way down the car and pointed it downwards to vent off
Nissan2nr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
last time I had this was the fuel pump o-ring in the top of the fuel tank...theres lots of leak potential in the whole fuel system...look for dirt or fuel buildup an that's probably where it is
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan2nr22 View Post
99% of the times ive ran into fuel smells it was either the gask tank gasket or the gas tank leaking

If thats not it track down all your fuel lines and somewhere you will find a leak or cracked hose ready to light your car on fire

As for the charcoal canister line I thought it was supposed to vent in the atmosphere and not close it off ? I've always cut mine half way down the car and pointed it downwards to vent off
If I remember correctly, the S13 vent line has to remain vented to atmosphere because of the lack of an additional vent. However, on the S14, it has a vent in the filler neck, so the hardline to the front can be capped.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
S14s also have that problem where the fuel tank itself cracks. Do you smell gas when you fill it up? If so, check for leaks.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
LilRebel57
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
S14s also have that problem where the fuel tank itself cracks. Do you smell gas when you fill it up? If so, check for leaks.
The gas tank isn't cracked. I would see a puddle in my garage if it was. It's only when starting up and the first couple minutes of driving. Looking into the o ring on the pump and the charcoal canister after Christmas.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
cbeuglas
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
cbeuglas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gaskit for the fuel pump. Also I have had mine leaking at the fuel lines before. One can the line cracked the other time the clamps needed to be tightened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
cbeuglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
yes im a newb with a 240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
yes im a newb with a 240 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i had the same issue. replaced the fuel lines on the underside of the diff with new lines (they are just short lines from the hardlines to the top of the fuel pump assembly), replaced the O ring gasket on the fuel pimp assembly, and put actual legit thick ass weather strip for the cover itself.

but this was on an S13 with S13 SR and I had hella fuel fumes coming from the trunk. S14 should be same idea. but your info is kinda vague. you could have something horsed up in the engine bay obviously and the fuel is traveling back to underneath the cabin. check all the fuel shit you did when you did the swap is the only idea I got for ya if that doesn't work
yes im a newb with a 240 is offline   Reply With Quote