Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #91
driftking777
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
driftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of lightdriftking777 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just make sure once you get that ebrake setup working make sure to post that up to...congrats on getting everything fitted!
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #92
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey Krinkov, you can try something like this:

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=93175

I'm thinking about going that route, if I end up getting brake upgrades other than Z32 fronts.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:04 AM   #93
andrewmp6
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
andrewmp6 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
id like to see more pics of everything done you should make a kit and sell it
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:59 AM   #94
BIGBX1

BIGBX1 is an unknown quantity at this point
This looks like a great brake upgrade, I will try it out on my next project thanks for sharing the tech info.
BIGBX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #95
sXi

sXi is an unknown quantity at this point
Krinkov, I've just purchased a whole brake system off a totaled 05 sti

so the combo you used were
front: sti caliper / front evo rotor
rear: sti caliper / rear evo rotor

I also got the ebrake from the sti. do you think it would work on the 240sx?
for the evo rotors. any good place to buy them? you said the front sti rotor would not work. How about the rear sti rotors?

Will you make me a set of brakets? I will pay for them ofcourse.

Thanks for the clear up
sXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #96
white smoke
Leaky Injector

white smoke is a well-known jackass
Very good info here.
You should contact Fast Brakes and see if they will machine some brackets for you. If were looking at ~1500 for this setup I think many people will be interested.

Another thing to note is that the paint on the Sti rotors blows the EVO's out of the watter. Who wants pink calipers? lol
white smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #97
DRFT180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
DRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
A friend of mine has just finished the rear (STI caliper/EVO rotor) and should be finishing the front tonight.
DRFT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #98
sXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFT180
A friend of mine has just finished the rear (STI caliper/EVO rotor) and should be finishing the front tonight.
did you friend aslo do the ebrake setup?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #99
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXi
Krinkov, I've just purchased a whole brake system off a totaled 05 sti

so the combo you used were
front: sti caliper / front evo rotor
rear: sti caliper / rear evo rotor

I also got the ebrake from the sti. do you think it would work on the 240sx?
for the evo rotors. any good place to buy them? you said the front sti rotor would not work. How about the rear sti rotors?

Will you make me a set of brakets? I will pay for them ofcourse.

Thanks for the clear up
You can't use the STi rotors that are drilled for 5x100. I think the latest STi's have a bolt pattern of 5x114.3, so you could use those, but I think they cost more or the rotor hat offset is different or something.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #100
sXi

yeah. 04 sti were 100x 5 and 05 up is 114.3x5.

Krinkov did tried the sti front rotors and there were not fitting because of the center hub hole was too smalls. and the evos were bolted right up.

I belive the one that im getting is 04. so.. I will still need evo rotors.
the ebrake still concerns me.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #101
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
I went through all of this and didn't see one critical thing: weights.

How much do the Brembos weigh and how much do the Evo rotors weigh? This is critical information for anyone interested in keeping unsprung weight down.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #102
nsn240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
nsn240 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nsn240
this is an awesome idea, id like to hear your reaction to driving with them and then ill probably do this myself. Im sure plenty of people, including myself, would e interested in a "parts package" with the brackets and spacers
nsn240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #103
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree
I went through all of this and didn't see one critical thing: weights.

How much do the Brembos weigh and how much do the Evo rotors weigh? This is critical information for anyone interested in keeping unsprung weight down.
Would you rather not run brakes at all and use your feet to stop your car like Fred Flintstone just to keep your unsprung weight down?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #104
sXi

awesome. I just got my brake calipers off the 04 sti.
I am shopping for the evo rotors now. and will fab the brackets out soon. Thank you for all the info.
[IMG]htpp://stu.aii.edu/~xjl181/brembo/v.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by sXi; 02-05-2006 at 06:04 PM..
Old 02-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #105
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Great info! I'm picking up a set of STi brembos next week.
anyotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #106
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways
Would you rather not run brakes at all and use your feet to stop your car like Fred Flintstone just to keep your unsprung weight down?
Would you rather run six pistons instead of four and have larger pads in addition to lighter weight?

Wilwood six-piston Superlite calipers weigh about 5.5lbs, hats 2lbs, and 332x35 rotors 16lbs. Wilwood four-piston Dynalite calipers weigh about 2.5lbs, hats 2lbs, and 310x21 rotors 9.6lbs. Associated bracketry probably adds about a pound per wheel. I want to know how much heavier (if any) the Evo big brakes are so I can do a cost-benefit analysis.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #107
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree
Would you rather run six pistons instead of four and have larger pads in addition to lighter weight?

Wilwood six-piston Superlite calipers weigh about 5.5lbs, hats 2lbs, and 332x35 rotors 16lbs. Wilwood four-piston Dynalite calipers weigh about 2.5lbs, hats 2lbs, and 310x21 rotors 9.6lbs. Associated bracketry probably adds about a pound per wheel. I want to know how much heavier (if any) the Evo big brakes are so I can do a cost-benefit analysis.
Probably quite heavy seeing as they are OEM equipment afterall. They look to be about 10 pounds for the 4 pistons and about 7 pounds each for the 2 piston rears.

Oh, and how much would that Wilwood setup cost?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #108
nlzmo400r
Zilvia FREAK!

nlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to nlzmo400r
I just finished the whole setup myself. Must say that the 300zx m/c and maybe even the brake booster from the z32 is needed. They look great however. I used STi calipers/ evo rotors and ferrodo ds2500 pads with stainless lines all around. The brembo calipers are actually lighter than my previous z32 calipers. The rotors are however, a little heavier due to being much bigger. Of course going to an aluminum hat rotor would save lots of weight but cost lots more $$. If you're willing to spend the extra $$ for the lighter rotors, itd be lighter than a z32 set up im sure. Thanks for the idea krinkov. I'll get DRFT180 to post pics of my car with em on

- Rob

[email protected] - gt32 .6bar
nlzmo400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #109
DRFT180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
DRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud ofDRFT180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^^4-lug too...............
DRFT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #110
turtl631
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
turtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
has anyone calculated the bias on this setup?
turtl631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #111
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways
Oh, and how much would that Wilwood setup cost?
$2190 with proportioning valve and line lock, 4- or 5-lug.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:08 AM   #112
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Wow, that's pretty steep.

The STi or Evo setup may run up to $1200 at the most (that I have seen on eBay anyways), but then again, those are used parts...

And we're probably taking only like a few pounds of difference total between your Wilwood setup and this Brembo setup. So I guess if those few pounds are worth the extra grand, then go for it man, since it sounds really nice.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #113
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

JohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of light
Krinkov, Thanks for this
I will be taking the STI calipers I have at home, from my suby days,
and start working on this. We got the cars EU spec so they already came
with 30mm Z32 calipers as standard so I guess I am upgrading an "upgraded" system.
Ordered AP Racing rotors for Evo and ferodo pads.
brembo's http://192.115.8.73/Images/a21.jpg
I will be upgrading the rears and the link to cncbrakes.com setup
got me looking for a more OE style setup and I came across this:
http://www.prepfab.co.uk/Parts/ and their product: Hydraulic Handbrake (Std)
This will enable me to keep a OE look to my handbrake. kind of pricey at 133 uk pounds.
If someone knows of a place to get this similar setup/design for less let me know.
and btw, If someone wants my Z32 30mm calipers let me know.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #114
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

JohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of light
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
REAR SOLUTION FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look at end of the thread!!!!
Ignore the follwing comment!

Rear Conversion Bad news for those wanting to keep the Z32 E-Brake.
If you do not keep the E-Brake, No need to read further just fir the rotors and calipers.
The evo Rotor will not fit over the Z32 ebrake assembly.
Evo rotor inner diameter when new is 166mm and an allowed max
of 168mm. I tried fitting the rotors over the assembly and it is a no go!!
The z32 rear inner diameter is 172 and there you go, that makes all the difference.
Sorry, just thought I would save others the disappointment.

Finished the front.
I went a little crazy and had TIG Engineering desgin me
brackets. I know i could have kept it simple but since I had some
other things for them to do I figured what the heck.
I think they did a great job designing and eventually installing them.
Brackets were $250 to design, manufacture and have them coated.
If more will be made the price will be a lot cheaper.
What do you think?

Started with this:

Brackets:

Mounting:

Mounted:

Finished Product:

Last edited by JohnC; 04-19-2007 at 06:23 PM..
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #115
93 240sxfastback
Leaky Injector

93 240sxfastback is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool I'll put my evo brakes on my 240 and my 300zx brakes on my evo....
93 240sxfastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #116
drew935
Zilvia Addict

drew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her self
Looks good John. Did you do the rear as well?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #117
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
You can have the biggest brakes in the world and still not outbrake a stock car, if you're tires don't allow you too.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #118
tre
Zilvia Junkie

tre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enoughtre will become famous soon enough
i hate not being able to edit, but shit looks hot haha
Old 05-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #119
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
You can have the biggest brakes in the world and still not outbrake a stock car, if you're tires don't allow you too.

this is true, but everyone here pretty much runs nice rubber. with the exception of myself, who gets free takeoffs from a VW dealership, thanks to my roommate.

16" Passat 205/55/16's ftw

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #120
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre
This may be true for a one-time emergency braking situation, but is not true for repetitive hard braking typical of roadracing. The stock brakes will start fading after several hot laps on a moderate to high speed course.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote