Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #31
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
purchace a T2 flange, and weld it on top of the old one on your manifold and keep on skipping ahead.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #32
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 curtis View Post
waiting on my friend to bring me a stock exhaust manifold so i could get it ported out. then i will post more pics.
What do you figure that is gonna cost you (the porting)?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #33
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
S13 curtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
What do you figure that is gonna cost you (the porting)?
probly around the $200 ballpark for the extrude hone from the local machine shop. i was also looking at the tomei expreme manifold because its basicly the same thing as a ported out stock manifold since its based on the same design.

I also found this flow graph on the web:

S13 curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #34
Oneoverwrx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Oneoverwrx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i am using an extra t3 flange on my civic to space the comp housing away from a runner. Seems to work for me, just make sure and use new gaskets and studs so you can really get a good seal.
Oneoverwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #35
Killa_D
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
Killa_D can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
lol about the manifold problem thats a easy one buy a new bottom mount manifold like the tomei im pretty sure that manifold will clear.
Killa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #36
BooStedS13SleePeR
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
BooStedS13SleePeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BooStedS13SleePeR
hopfully everything holds up haha
BooStedS13SleePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #37
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I predict 429 whp and big kaboom. Hope you got some extra cash and another DD to rebuild engine.
redline racer510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #38
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline racer510 View Post
I predict 429 whp and big kaboom. Hope you got some extra cash and another DD to rebuild engine.
I think it will be just fine. This motor dosent have many miles on it from when it was purchased from pops at allversion. it came out of a clip with a hair over 41,000 kilometers back in 2004, besides codyace has a bone stock motor pushing 409whp for more than a year or 2 im pretty sure.I'm also running an AEM EMS not a S-AFC.

But if it does take a shit, I will just order darton sleeves and 90mm 9:0:1 pistons along with other goodies. thats my .02 on it.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #39
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Quote:
probly around the $200 ballpark for the extrude hone from the local machine shop. i was also looking at the tomei expreme manifold because its basicly the same thing as a ported out stock manifold since its based on the same design.

I also found this flow graph on the web:

Ive actually got teh Tomei - and im lookin to go back to the cast manifold
Old 01-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #40
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Update the Megan manifold works my friend just didnt clock it in the right position.

Had some more things to pick up that were at the shop for a while...

Tial V44

AEM EMS

And the MYSTERY BOX

Inside: Origin Stream Bodykit
20mm front fenders
30mm rear over fenders

Ordered an ACT Extreme pressure plate from FR Sport yesterday should come in aprox a week and a half

I will get more pics of the other parts etc boost solenoid and map sensor , flywheel and others.

^^was alot of money^^
Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #41
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

mount the turbo... now
Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #42
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
I have tuned a couple of T28 Turbine equipt cars to hi 400-430 whp, which on my dyno is A LOT. thats around 475 on a dynojet!

I know...

Both cars used GT3071R and GT3076R with T28 flanges
Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #43
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
With E85 and boost you should have no issue. High 300's are possible with smaller compressors on pump gas, so with the addition of a MUCH larger compressor housing, and the fact you are running race gas, i would say that if you don't hit that power, I would be upset.

Good luck, and damn you for having easily accessible E85 hehe

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #44
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
I think it will be just fine. This motor dosent have many miles on it from when it was purchased from pops at allversion. it came out of a clip with a hair over 41,000 kilometers back in 2004, besides codyace has a bone stock motor pushing 409whp for more than a year or 2 im pretty sure.I'm also running an AEM EMS not a S-AFC.

But if it does take a shit, I will just order darton sleeves and 90mm 9:0:1 pistons along with other goodies. thats my .02 on it.
Well, not entirly true:

I put forged CP pistons (86mm stock bore, 8.5 compression stock) in the motor now for 3 years on stock rods. I melted a hole in a piston shortly after those first video'd dyno pulls lol. I was WOT, 20 psi, going from 3rd to 4th when it felt like an intercooler coupler popped. Did some quick troubleshooting on the side of the highway, and then drove it off (shitty, sputtering, crappy) to an exit where I was seeing if a coil died. Everythign was workign, so I knew something BAD happened. Drove it to eat, drove it home (35 miles), and beat the fuck out of it as it was fubar by my book. Ripped the head off that same night to find the 'wussiest' blown engine ever. My 'theory' of to why it exploded was that the big intake gromets popped up around the injector, causing it to go lean. Wideband was perfect mid 11's all the time. I ended up getting a special cover for the greddy rail and haven't had an issue since.

What I did to fix the gromet

The new (well not new, as it's got near 18,000 miles on the motor) motor has been fine since, and this was the motor I went 11.65 @ 120 with (1.88 60'). I wish I had more practice and more than 3 runs as I know I'd have that 60 into the low 1.6's, and have the times in the damn low 11's.

Aside from that, it's nothign fancy. Jim Wolf Tune, Jim Wolf S3 cams, and the basic bolt ons. No headwork, no fancy bottom end work either, as I do all the work and don't have the tooling or the knowhow to get fancy with anything.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #45
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline racer510 View Post
why a kaboom? With E85 detonation should be easily controlled. The stock parts strength isn't the question, it's always been their detonation resistance.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #46
midnight_rex
Zilvia Member

midnight_rex is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
why a kaboom? With E85 detonation should be easily controlled. The stock parts strength isn't the question, it's always been their detonation resistance.
wait im kind of confused. u said you melted a piston with the forged CPs or the stock pistons?

i got a s13 sr that im building right now which is sitting in my room almost assembled.

bottom:
86.5mm 8.5:1 CP pistons
eagle rods
apexi HG
arp mains
arp headstuds
block decked, honed, bored
align hone mains
grade 2 OEM main bearings
grade 1 OEM rod bearings
crank poilished and balanced
ATI damper
(whole assembly balanced)

top:
BC springs and retainers
BC 1mm+ intake and exhaust valves
supertech valve seals and valve guides
JWT s4 cams
new OEM rocker arms
new shims and guides
apexi HG

the turbo that im going with is a turbonetics t3/t4, stage 3 wheel, .63 AR, 57 trim compressor wheel. its going to be a journal bearing turbo and it comes with log manifold, wastegate, dumptube, all lines and hardware, intercooler and piping, etc.

i have a good idea what my power is gonna be but i would like your input on it cody?
midnight_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #47
slickdrifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
slickdrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i just dont think 740cc injectors would cut it for that much power for e85. just remember you will need approximately 30% more by volume to make the same amount of power as you would if you weree running pump gas. I would go 1000cc injectors and run dual walbro pumps and hardwire them with seperate relays so you dont get voltage drop and run a nice aeromotive FPR. I just believe that you would be running too high of an injector duty cycle to be safe and reliable. Im sure you can make the dyno say 429hp for a few pulls with the setup you would like to run but thats just maxing out everything you got and not even safely, like a ticking time bomb. lol thats just my personal opinion. I also would run E98 instead and buy a custom top mount manifold from me ill cut you an awesome deal for something like a peakboost one that will accomodate that turbo and wastegate configuration, A one off peice constructed by my best friend who builds manifolds for a living. i know the motor itself would be able to handle 400hp as long as you have headstuds and a headgasket its just a matter of how long. Maxxing the setup out like you are tryign to do does not leave any room for error. The slightest lean condition caused by a loose vacuum line and you overboost will DESTROY your motor. I as well want to make about 400whp on a stock motor, if you search for my for sale ad you wil see what i have for a car. 740s as well but with pump gas and i would like to do water methanol injection. i will post dyno results soon. Oh btw, intercooler cores make a HUGE difference. A cheap core versus a nice core will allow you to flow to make mroe power. a buddy of mine was running an ebay core with a nice setup similar to yours and it couldnt hit overe 360hp and when he swapped to a nice kit he made 30rwhp right away. Precision and spearco make great cores as well as most name brand bar and plate style intercoolers. anyways this is just MY OPINION so if you disagree lemme know what you think and why.
slickdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 AM   #48
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdrifter View Post
i just dont think 740cc injectors would cut it for that much power for e85. just remember you will need approximately 30% more by volume to make the same amount of power as you would if you weree running pump gas. I would go 1000cc injectors and run dual walbro pumps and hardwire them with seperate relays so you dont get voltage drop and run a nice aeromotive FPR. I just believe that you would be running too high of an injector duty cycle to be safe and reliable. Im sure you can make the dyno say 429hp for a few pulls with the setup you would like to run but thats just maxing out everything you got and not even safely, like a ticking time bomb. lol thats just my personal opinion. I also would run E98 instead and buy a custom top mount manifold from me ill cut you an awesome deal for something like a peakboost one that will accomodate that turbo and wastegate configuration, A one off peice constructed by my best friend who builds manifolds for a living. i know the motor itself would be able to handle 400hp as long as you have headstuds and a headgasket its just a matter of how long. Maxxing the setup out like you are tryign to do does not leave any room for error. The slightest lean condition caused by a loose vacuum line and you overboost will DESTROY your motor. I as well want to make about 400whp on a stock motor, if you search for my for sale ad you wil see what i have for a car. 740s as well but with pump gas and i would like to do water methanol injection. i will post dyno results soon. Oh btw, intercooler cores make a HUGE difference. A cheap core versus a nice core will allow you to flow to make mroe power. a buddy of mine was running an ebay core with a nice setup similar to yours and it couldnt hit overe 360hp and when he swapped to a nice kit he made 30rwhp right away. Precision and spearco make great cores as well as most name brand bar and plate style intercoolers. anyways this is just MY OPINION so if you disagree lemme know what you think and why.
My car was on E-85 before, im not just now converting. On my previous set up on 16-17psi when i had an e-manage blue it read in the high 80's on real time, thats why i bought a Aeromotive that i still dont have due to a member on here not replying then finally did about a day ago and still hasnt sent it out after over a week about to go on 2 weeks. i got the adjustable FPR to keep the duty cycle down a bit but i will go on evolutionm forums to scout for injectors, they sell injectors for a good price on there. I almost purchased 1600cc injectors but that might be a little over kill. As for the manifold if i bought a T3 manifold that would defeat the purpose of me buying the .72 ar EWG V44 housing. I'm not sure if they sell E-98 close by, i have to go on the turnpike about 5-10min for fuel.
Before i converted to E-85 i was going to do meth injection. meth injection is good for about 30whp or some more and you can run the boost even higher as it puts the air temp way down.

As of now im waiting on my buddy to do a mock up of the turbo set up so i could supply pics for the members on here that are interested in the fitment of the turbine housing.

My ACT Extreme pressure plate is supposed to come in tomorrow from FRSport then the tranny can go back on.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #49
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_rex View Post
wait im kind of confused. u said you melted a piston with the forged CPs or the stock pistons?
Burned a stock one, now have had CP's in the car without issue for 3 years

In regard to my detonation comment, with a Forged piston in there, some detonation isn't going to 'melt it' or chip it nearly as easy as it would with stock.

Quote:
the turbo that im going with is a turbonetics t3/t4, stage 3 wheel, .63 AR, 57 trim compressor wheel. its going to be a journal bearing turbo and it comes with log manifold, wastegate, dumptube, all lines and hardware, intercooler and piping, etc.
Funny you mention that turbo, as it was exactly what I ran on my turbo Altima hehe! I'd say it could support 400 hp on pump, but that depends on compressor (B vs E) as well.

Quote:
I'm not sure if they sell E-98 close by, i have to go on the turnpike about 5-10min for fuel.
Before i converted to E-85 i was going to do meth injection. meth injection is good for about 30whp or some more and you can run the boost even higher as it puts the air temp way down.
While it's nice to have it so close, at the same time, it concerns me for that 'one time' where I'm no where near anything and need to fuel up. I guess in times like that it would be nice to be able to switch maps and run a 93 tune,

Sounds good on paper, but I'm unsure about mixing a tad bit of e-85 with regular gas (as in, is this possible without negative mixing effects?)

Quote:
i just dont think 740cc injectors would cut it for that much power for e85.
It would be VERY close like you say.

Quote:
a buddy of mine was running an ebay core with a nice setup similar to yours and it couldnt hit overe 360hp and when he swapped to a nice kit he made 30rwhp right away. Precision and spearco make great cores as well as most name brand bar and plate style intercoolers. anyways this is just MY OPINION so if you disagree lemme know what you think and why.
Running a good core is certainly important for power. Sure ebay cores 'may work'...that doens't mean they will 'work well'

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #50
ROIDMONKEY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
ROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
just in case u need some 1000cc injectors i have 4 for sell....pm me

TRUE thing: True ////OFFSET\\\\ is acheived without spacers
Running on E85 570whp Precision 5862....laggy as fuck. hate it
ROIDMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #51
midnight_rex
Zilvia Member

with my setup im using 740cc injectors. ive seen some videos of guys running them on 400whp+ applications with acceptable duty left for error.

what clutches do some of you guys use/recommend for street/daily use on a 400whp sr with 320-350wtq?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #52
slickdrifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
slickdrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yea exactly my point about the Ebay intercoolers. they work but not WELL. yeah you can get 400+hp on 740s with pump or race gas, but itd be very close call with ethanol. If you are going to run a full stand alone there is really no such thing as OVERKILL when it comes to running large injectors. Why try to compromise the integrity and reliability of your motor just to prove you can make 400 on your setup. If you dont wanna spend alot of money go the safe route and run plenty of injector, a good fuel system, standalone, and some good tuning. I will try and achieve similar power goals with my T3/T04e turbo, a topmount ramhorn manifold, AEM truboost, 740cc injectors, z32 maf, Denso Supra TT OEM fuel pump, Tomei type S FPR, and a custom built HIGHflow intercooler set up in a Vmount configuration. fully stock internal motor, I only have Rocker arm stoppers. Oh, and im running a RS enthalpy ECU. i realistically will probably only make 320 rwhp on the mustang dyno but i might try a pull to see if I can hit 400rwhp on high boost with water meth injection. If I am not satisfied with that setup I will go E85 with 1000-1600cc injectors, dual Denso fuel pumps, -8 fuel lines, AEM EMS, GT3076. lol of course no maf and convert to speed density just cus its the SHEEEIIIT! I dunno what do you guys think?
slickdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #53
midnight_rex
Zilvia Member

i dont see the big deal in running such large injectors really with a t3/t4 turbo. 740s should cover it plenty. i have my haltech ems sitting right next to me so ill be using that 1000cc injectors for a 400whp sr20 is overkill in my opinion. i didnt even need 740cc injectors to make 400 in my gt28 ZC crx lol. i just used some bluetop dsm injectors and called it a day.

i guess ill see when i get my car on the dyno.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #54
S13 curtis
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
yea exactly my point about the Ebay intercoolers. they work but not WELL. yeah you can get 400+hp on 740s with pump or race gas, but itd be very close call with ethanol. If you are going to run a full stand alone there is really no such thing as OVERKILL when it comes to running large injectors. Why try to compromise the integrity and reliability of your motor just to prove you can make 400 on your setup. If you dont wanna spend alot of money go the safe route and run plenty of injector, a good fuel system, standalone, and some good tuning. I will try and achieve similar power goals with my T3/T04e turbo, a topmount ramhorn manifold, AEM truboost, 740cc injectors, z32 maf, Denso Supra TT OEM fuel pump, Tomei type S FPR, and a custom built HIGHflow intercooler set up in a Vmount configuration. fully stock internal motor, I only have Rocker arm stoppers. Oh, and im running a RS enthalpy ECU. i realistically will probably only make 320 rwhp on the mustang dyno but i might try a pull to see if I can hit 400rwhp on high boost with water meth injection. If I am not satisfied with that setup I will go E85 with 1000-1600cc injectors, dual Denso fuel pumps, -8 fuel lines, AEM EMS, GT3076. lol of course no maf and convert to speed density just cus its the SHEEEIIIT! I dunno what do you guys think?
hell yea, i just converted to map sensor it should turn out great.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #55
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
As of now im waiting on my buddy to do a mock up of the turbo set up so i could supply pics for the members on here that are interested in the fitment of the turbine housing.
I would appreciate some pics and measurements to the shock tower if you get a chance. Thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #56
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
deukalionS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
im interested in this thread lol. i would go w at least 1000cc injectors. i maxed out the 740's at around 20 to 21psi
Old 01-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #57
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Grenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Grenade180sx
i think the real weak point in SR's is the pistons.. ive NEVER broken a rod. but pistons go to shit pretty quick with the amount of abuse.
Grenade180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #58
midnight_rex
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deukalionS14 View Post
im interested in this thread lol. i would go w at least 1000cc injectors. i maxed out the 740's at around 20 to 21psi
thats just doesnt sound right with the 740s.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #59
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by deukalionS14 View Post
on what size turbo? 35r?
Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #60
deukalionS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
deukalionS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
thats just doesnt sound right with the 740s.
oh, forgot to add that this was with E85. you know the whole extra 30% fuel and blah blah blah

this was with a 2871r. my bad for not ebing specific