Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #31
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
FinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ yes, i believe the 350z track edition spare tire/wheel is 17"
FinalDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #32
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
You must have a 17inch wheel. Even the SPL kit utilizing 350Z rotors and the smaller Z32 30mm calipers require a 17inch wheel- the Brembos are even bigger calipers.
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #33
rican_nick
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
rican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rican_nick
nice write up jon.

My Seller's Review Thread
rican_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 AM   #34
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
have you been able to confirm that 17s will clear the z33 brembo setup??? Friend has been asking before he makes a purchase. BTW what offset is your front wheel?? he's running 17x9 +15 currently on ER33 brakes. (295x32 rotor)

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #35
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
again...they should fit because some 350z's come with 17's stock, and as mentioned, even the spare is a 17 on the track edition.

as always, spoke design will matter
Old 10-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #36
nlzmo400r
Zilvia FREAK!

nlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to nlzmo400r
17s will clear a far as rotor clearance...done.

Now of course spoke design will come into play when trying to clear as well. I have a similar set up (the slightly larger brembo's off the STI) and 16s wont clear up front. And for those into drag racing, 15s wont clear the rears.

[email protected] - gt32 .6bar
nlzmo400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #37
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

FinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud of
18x9.5 +22 mid disk
Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #38
sicarius82
Zilvia Member

sicarius82 is making a name for him/her selfsicarius82 is making a name for him/her selfsicarius82 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to sicarius82
bump...great write up
sicarius82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 AM   #39
blownoffvalve
Leaky Injector

blownoffvalve is an unknown quantity at this point
it looks great when the caliper almost hits the rim spokes
blownoffvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #40
King 240
Banned from the Marketplace

King 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-knownKing 240 is making his/her stupidity well-known
just FYI, if you are looking to buy JUST the calipers new from Nissan they are $1300....and thats each NOT A SET!!

You can have a Stop Tech brake kit for $1,800...rather go that route really.
King 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #41
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
The 350z/ G35c calipers are heavy as hell. If you're concerned about weight at all, get a set of Wilwoods or z32 aluminum calipers. I thought about using the Brembos on a track car (basically my current S14 shell with a tube frame, when I revamp my SM car) but for the money in general, unless you get the brakes free or at an amazing price, it doesn't seem worth it.

As far as stopping power, it's really a lot of preference. I *will* say that my G35c's brakes are much more predictable and offer better feedback than the z32 brakes, but that's G35 brakes on a G35 vs. aluminum 30mm z32 brakes on a 240. I'm still playing around with booster and MC sizing, though. I've got an automatic booster with the 17/16" and I feel as though I'd be better off with my 15/16" on the manual booster, but I'd like to try the 1" MC first (since my lines are already bent for the z32 MC). I've also gotta mess with brake proportioning, too.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #42
Jason@performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Jason@performance is making a name for him/her selfJason@performance is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to Jason@performance
looks hottnes...

now just need the 2 piece stop tech rotors!
Jason@performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #43
estomax

estomax is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone else done this?

Im doing this today and its been a PITA because drilling the caliper brackets dulls the hell out of drill bits. I've gone thru one drill bit per hole.. 13$/drill bit.

just wanted to see what others' experiences are

Marko
estomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #44
jspecusa
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jspecusa
16" R32 gtr stock clears these brembo.
I had a set of 16x8 volk mesh that came off a r32 gtr that clear brembo also.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #45
reflexdb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
reflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to reflexdb
Looks great, should be really nice on the track. J/C does anyone with 30mm z32 front calipers see brake fade at the track? This should be the only thing that the brembos help with, as I can lock up the front wheels with my z32's now.

By the way, I would drill out the mounting holes with a 14mm drill, not a 9/16''. You want just enough clearance for the bolt, not any room to spare.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #46
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

i had to get the drill bit sharpened after doing one side...it dulled pretty fast

so 16" wheels will fit depending on spoke clearance? interesting
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #47
flytwa78
Leaky Injector

flytwa78 will become famous soon enoughflytwa78 will become famous soon enoughflytwa78 will become famous soon enoughflytwa78 will become famous soon enough
How about installing the rears??
flytwa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #48
floodo1
Zilvia Junkie

floodo1 will become famous soon enoughfloodo1 will become famous soon enoughfloodo1 will become famous soon enough
buy a carbide drill bit...should last forever...practically anyway
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #49
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytwa78 View Post
How about installing the rears??
rears don't line up for a nice easy bolt on install
not that it can't be done, but not nearly as easy as the fronts
Old 06-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #50
MavericStephenc
Zilvia Addict

MavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to MavericStephenc
nice writeup short and to the point. 350z track ftw
MavericStephenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #51
sean350z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
sean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hmm 16's fit...that's hard to believe. Pics kindly appriciated. Here's mine

Old 06-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #52
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

^what size are those?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 AM   #53
busyman_88
BANNED

busyman_88 is making his/her stupidity well-knownbusyman_88 is making his/her stupidity well-knownbusyman_88 is making his/her stupidity well-knownbusyman_88 is making his/her stupidity well-knownbusyman_88 is making his/her stupidity well-known
what about your coilovers did you have to drill them out.
busyman_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:32 AM   #54
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalDrive View Post
^what size are those?
18x9 +20
or thinner/higher offset
Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #55
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyman_88 View Post
what about your coilovers did you have to drill them out.
drill the coilovers? where and why?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #56
inertiaticism
Zilvia Junkie

inertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond reputeinertiaticism has a reputation beyond repute
So, if these bolt up to SE spindles this easily, what would be stopping a 4lug person from bolting these up and using them with the 4 lug 320mm parts shop max rotors?
I've always been under the impression that 5lug s14s had the same shitty brakes that I do, only with different hubs.
inertiaticism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #57
OptionZero
Post Whore!

nothing, except that the brembos are expensive and heavy
Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #58
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertiaticism View Post
I've always been under the impression that 5lug s14s had the same shitty brakes that I do, only with different hubs.
yep, except that the stock brakes aren't shitty for a stock car.
cdlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #59
burgy240
Nissanaholic!

burgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to burgy240 Send a message via Yahoo to burgy240
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero View Post
nothing, except that the brembos are expensive and heavy
very true.

1) nice write up , thank you
2) they look baller on your ride
3) before everyone on here tries to go out and put these on your car, call around and ask about pricing parts. if you need new pads and rotors for these they are an ass load. there is a reason that lots of the g35/350Z owners actually downgrade to the smaller caliper set-up( granted that these owners aren't the track type though)
4) Unless you are doing some ridiculous endurance racing or something, the z32 brake setup will be all you need at the track

Again though, these look sweet on and thank you for the write up.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #60
OptionZero
Post Whore!

and if you're a 4-lug owner that's too cheap to convert to 5-lug, you're probably not going to spend $2K on these calipers and MAX rotors