Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
FP Big28 or S14 BB T28

I just purchased a Forced Performance Big28.

I have a S14 BB T28 in the car at the moment.

I have to replace manifolds for the new season so I figured I would replace the turbo at the same time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either turbo.

Big28 has a HKS Adjustable Actuator which saves me $300 on an electronic boost controller.

This is the information on the Big28...

The FP-Big28 uses modified T25 compressor and turbine housings...We carefully selected a compressor and turbine combination that provide massive flow capabilities and very little back pressure. Doesn't sound like a big deal? Did we mention it makes full boost in just a hair over 3000rpm, and holds solid all the way to redline? Now we're cooking with gas.

The compressor and turbine are the largest T28 available with 37lb/min flow rate, that is about 550cfm.

The entire center section is replaced with new parts, including our severe duty thrust bearing system."

The Big28 is a journal bearing setup but has the internals of a T28.

Decisions, decisions.

Please give me your input on which turbo to keep.

I will not spend $1000 on a disco potato or higher, I will only be using one or the other.

I drive at stock boost, so the HKS actuator is not that big of a deal.

Thank you in advance.

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
S13Dreamer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
S13Dreamer is just really niceS13Dreamer is just really niceS13Dreamer is just really niceS13Dreamer is just really niceS13Dreamer is just really niceS13Dreamer is just really niceS13Dreamer is just really niceS13Dreamer is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S13Dreamer
Carlos!! Why didn't you think about this before you bought it from me?!

It depends what you're looking for. If you're wanting a quicker spool, then I'd go with the BB s14 turbo at the expense of top end power relative to the Big28. But if you don't mind some lag, then go for the other. Also, you'll have to take into account the cost of a tune for the Big28. Is this for your track car?

IMO, I'd go with the Big28. Since it is in full boost just a bit over 3000rpm, it really isn't that bad at all. In addition, the turbo was rebuilt and has fairly new parts. Hope this helps!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
ROIDMONKEY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
ROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Im drooping a 20G into my SR this week . new manifold(top mount custom) and a wastegate too, hopefully it ill be finish by the end of this week

TRUE thing: True ////OFFSET\\\\ is acheived without spacers
Running on E85 570whp Precision 5862....laggy as fuck. hate it
ROIDMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13Dreamer View Post
Carlos!! Why didn't you think about this before you bought it from me?!

IMO, I'd go with the Big28. Since it is in full boost just a bit over 3000rpm, it really isn't that bad at all. In addition, the turbo was rebuilt and has fairly new parts. Hope this helps!
I am a man of my word so I had to keep my side of the deal.

Yup for the track car.

Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROIDMONKEY View Post
Im drooping a 20G into my SR this week . new manifold(top mount custom) and a wastegate too, hopefully it ill be finish by the end of this week
You helped in abolutely no way, but I am glad for your future upgrades.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz View Post
I just purchased a Forced Performance Big28.

I have a S14 BB T28 in the car at the moment.

there is a difference?

I bet it's very marginal.

Why didnt you just get the .64 housing 2871R. that thing is wicked, Ive tuned enough cars to know by now.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It really depends on what you want. You'll sacrifice spool with the Big28, and top end with the S14 BB. I'm about to install a GTiR T28 with an S14 comp housing, which is probably similar to your Big28, because I don't mind a little lag if I'm gaining some top end power. So based on personal preference, I'd say keep the Big28.

I should have my turbo on the car this weekend; assuming that happens, I'll let you know how I like it since it's not far off from yours. If I remember to post, that is. =P
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
my point is you don't sacrafice either with the small gt2871r.

Ive driven one on a redtop, back top and two different vtc motors, one that I personally tuned.

at 1 bar it spools up faster than my old car in 04 with the modified t28 bb.

Garrett does it pretty right. There really isnt a silver bullet in the 28 range for turbo applications imho, the 2871R .64 is pretty close to it. Of course max output will always depend on supporting mods.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
ROIDMONKEY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
ROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if the Big28 full boost is a bit over 3000 how can u sacrifice spool?? The T28 (what im running) full boost is around 3000 too . ill go with Big28 too .

TRUE thing: True ////OFFSET\\\\ is acheived without spacers
Running on E85 570whp Precision 5862....laggy as fuck. hate it
ROIDMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
there is a difference?

I bet it's very marginal.

Why didnt you just get the .64 housing 2871R. that thing is wicked, Ive tuned enough cars to know by now.
Money...

I don't want to spend money where I don't need it.

If I touch the turbo, I will spend at least 5k on supporting mods;

ECU
Cams
Manifold
Injectors
ETC

I do fine with 7 pounds of boost.

Carlos
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
sunnys14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
sunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Read this dyno i found on freshalloy, (t25 vs gt28r vs fp big28)

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showth...ighlight=big28

All that work for just 10hp isnt that worth it for me, unless you plan to boost higher than 18psi...
sunnys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Fuck it...argh...I love cars.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #12
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Theres not enough love for the Big28 in the 240 world as there is in the DSMs.

But hey, if you decide to go with the Big28, would you sell your T28 to me?
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote