Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Andy’97

Trader Rating: (0)
Andy’97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Sending Unit Issue - Please Help!

I have an issue that I'm hoping someone on here has the expertise and experience to offer some suggestions. I've purchased a '97 240sx that has sat for quite a while. I pulled the fuel tank and have a clean replacement ready to install. I have a new fuel pump but not sure how to handle the sending unit as the original one from the car is destroyed and the replacement tank is from a '95 so the sending unit is a 3-prong harness and not the 4-prong used in '96-'98 240's with the addition of the fuel temperature sensor. This thread has great photos showing the difference in the '95 sending unit and the '96+ sending unit:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=643937

I cannot find a '96+ sending unit to use. I could use some guidance on whether a 3-prong sending unit (one without the fuel temp sensor) would be ok to use with a harness converter to connect to the 4-prong coming from the '97 chassis. I want to get this sorted before installing the fuel tank and rear subframe since these are not fun things to have to pull down every weekend. Thank you all, I really appreciate the help on this one!
-Andy
Andy’97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
staying_chuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry this doesn't really answer your question, but if it was me id be getting the correct sending unit. Not sure if they are interchangeable but I've had so many issues with my fuel gauge not working with the sending units ive used. Might save you time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
staying_chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Andy’97

Yes indeed, my preference is to find the proper one for this car, I just can't find one..

Nissan no longer manufactures this in the US. Funny thing is outside of US the hardware is the same, it has the bracket on the outside for the fuel temp sensor it just doesn't have anything in that bracket and the harness is still the older 3-prong and not the newer 4-prong.

If anyone has a 4-prong sending unit with the fuel temp sensor on it please let me know, I will pay you properly for this.

Thanks!
-Andy
Old 04-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy10900 View Post
Yes indeed, my preference is to find the proper one for this car, I just can't find one..

Nissan no longer manufactures this in the US. Funny thing is outside of US the hardware is the same, it has the bracket on the outside for the fuel temp sensor it just doesn't have anything in that bracket and the harness is still the older 3-prong and not the newer 4-prong.

If anyone has a 4-prong sending unit with the fuel temp sensor on it please let me know, I will pay you properly for this.

Thanks!
-Andy

Just do a little searching, i've seen at least 2 s14's being parted in the last couple weeks. Shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes to find a part out post.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Andy’97

I'll see what I can find on a part out, thank you.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy10900 View Post
I'll see what I can find on a part out, thank you.

No problem good luck wit da search bro. If i stumble across anything ill pm you.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Andy’97

Thank you!
Old 04-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I put a 3-prong into my 96 which originally had 4-prong. I just matched the 3-wires for the fuel level gauge only to work. I have an engine swap so there is no fuel temp sensor wiring left anyways.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
Andy’97

Interesting. Thank you for posting this. I was concerned about bad signals to the ECU causing issues and/or check engine light, etc. Seems that is not an issue. I may have to do this as well if I can't find the 4-prong sending unit. Thank you.