Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #31
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Javi802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well ill be doing a boost leak test tomorrow.

So does my engine dying when ever i plug the maf back in, mean any thing negative?
Javi802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #32
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just that the mixture is probably off, alot of people will have the same problem, and call it normal.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #33
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Thought id just let you know that i appreciate your help, man.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #34
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
No problem

Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #35
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
If the tstat opens at 60deg does that mean the engine will stay at 60deg?

No it doesn't.

What it does mean is that that tstat will remain open untill the temp drops or wax gets cold. So if i have a 60deg thermostat how can i make the engine hotter? The engine produces heat, heat is transferred to the water and oil, the water and oil get cooled sent back to the engine. Lets focus on the water the water is cooled by the radiator it doesn't care what type or brand of thermostat you have. It will continue to do what it do, which is cool the water. The fan aids the cooling practice significantly, SO by adding a piece of card board in front of the radiator the fan (clutch or electric) will allow the water to reach a higher temperature before it is cooled. A thermostat will not make you car run cooler alone. It just allows the water to flow at a certain temp.

Thank you.

Ps A house's thermostat control a heater or burner.
A car thermostat in the cooling system only controls the flow of fluid. If it actual did any temperature control we would not have to worry about over heating. Because that 60deg thermostat would never ever let me overheat right?

Also he drove 60 miles, but thats a different indicator.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question248.htm

When the thermostat is closed. No coolant should be flowing to the radiator. The heat produced in the engine stays there until the thermostat gets up to temperature and opens. Allowing coolant to flow into the radiator. If the engine gets to cold the thermostat closes to stop the flow to the radiator.

The thermostats job is to keep the engine at a set temperature.

With a proper cooling system your car should not overheat.

The ECU is expecting the car to operate at 176F/80C. If it doesn't reach close to that it assumes the car has not warmed up yet and keeps the fuel mixture rich to be safe. This is bad for MPG, performance and engine life(fuel in oil).
Old 12-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #36
cotbu
Post Whore!

The op has not reach operating temperature and his thermostat has opened!!!!!! The reason he isnt reaching operating temperature is because of the fan not his thermostat!!! If he puts an object like the cardboard i suggested in front of the radiator it will allow him to reach operating temperature. So no he does not have to go by a new thermostat for this reason. He could by an electric fan and a fan controller. If he bought a thermostat that opened at a higher temp his car would be able to reach 176f/80c faster to trigger closed loop yes. But he doesn't need to.
I can help the op fix his car without buying new parts, but suggesting he by a new ecu, mafs, cts, and ws harness, fan controller coolant and oil is an autozone move!

So again op\thread starter to help reach operating temp and to trigger closed loop put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://e...jDymdaf5oBEoXA

Old 12-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #37
cotbu
Post Whore!

I think there are a few cooling system thread's active right now, so :what:

Old 12-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #38
cotbu
Post Whore!

Op in nds there should be an active test that will allow you to fake the cts temperature. Set that to 82c or 179.6f after the car has be idle for a while and your normal temp stabilizes. Which is about 150 something. Video log that for me along with your wideband. See if you get closer to 14.7afr and 100 af base. G/L

Old 12-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #39
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
The op has not reach operating temperature and his thermostat has opened!!!!!! The reason he isnt reaching operating temperature is because of the fan not his thermostat!!! If he puts an object like the cardboard i suggested in front of the radiator it will allow him to reach operating temperature. So no he does not have to go by a new thermostat for this reason. He could by an electric fan and a fan controller. If he bought a thermostat that opened at a higher temp his car would be able to reach 176f/80c faster to trigger closed loop yes. But he doesn't need to.
I can help the op fix his car without buying new parts, but suggesting he by a new ecu, mafs, cts, and ws harness, fan controller coolant and oil is an autozone move!

So again op\thread starter to help reach operating temp and to trigger closed loop put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://e...jDymdaf5oBEoXA

I don't know if you are on drugs or having some other problems that are leading to cognitive distortion.

His thermostat is to low and he can't get up to temperature. Cause and effect.
Replacing the thermostat for $7 is a simple fix that will have multiple benefits.
I have not suggested anything more than that.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #40
cotbu
Post Whore!

I do, its the cardboard in front of the radiator. Did you completely overlook that. And if he runs that test and the issue remains the same its not temperature related. If it does fix his issue he has options. Would you care to know them or are you done?
How are the cooling issue threads coming?
One dude cant bleed properly, he needs your wisdom and howstuffworks links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSVMgRr6pw

Old 12-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #41
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

I actually learned about that function in NDS a few days ago.

When i manipulate the cts and make it think the engine is at 176 degrees, the idle drops down to what i set the base idle to. Which is 850.

Car still runs a little rich (13.3 afr)

But manipulating the cts isn't actually changing the temperature the engine is running at, so I'm not sure if the engine were warmer if that would change my afr's.

I did order an oem thermostat though for safe measure. Plus its winter and i don't feel comfortable with my engine running at 150 all of the time.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #42
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

i was going to get a thermostat from auto zone for like $10, but wasn't sure if i should trust it.

Ive read some things that made me a little eery of the idea.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #43
cotbu
Post Whore!

Actually, if everything is functioning correctly that would make the ecu think you are at operating temp. Have you gotten a chance to run that boost leak test? Also if you place that card board in front of the radiator it will allow you to physical reach operating temperature. This would eliminate the obvious faulty sensors or wiring issues as a cause to why you were still rich with the active test.

Don't get me wrong you should have a higher temp thermostat or a way to control you temps better and even a redundancy, but for your issue to be resolved i dont think you need it. But if you go get a thermostat, think about replacing the 02 sensor and coolant temp sensor as well. They would be considered maintenance items.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #44
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

I replaced the o2 and coolant temp sensor about a week ago.

Still haven't boost leak tested it, but i will.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #45
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

i did compression test it for the hell of it. 145 across the board
Old 12-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #46
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Heres something else that i cant figure out. Sometimes when ever i turn the car on, the ignition timing will be at 20 degrees with idle at about 1600. Afr's at 11.4. And when ever it warms up, ignition timing will go down to 10btdc, with idle staying at 1250. Afr's staying at around 11.4.
But if i tap the gas, ignition timing will bump back up to 20 and stay there for a little while and go back down to 10 degrees.

Unless i shut the car off and restart it. Then ignition timing goes where it should at 15btdc. Idle to 900rpm. And afr's at around 13.3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Nnv...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #47
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:

Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!Sent from my Highly Tuned Note4!!!
Why does this need to be in _every_ fucking post you make.

Dont people pay attention to shit like this? Its fucking annoying.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #48
cotbu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Why does this need to be in _every_ fucking post you make.

Dont people pay attention to shit like this? Its fucking annoying.
uploadfromtaptalk1419545777348.jpg