Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #391
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
You're gunna have to explain the whole "fortnight" thing to us yankees man! LOL! That's two weeks isn't it?
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2008, 11:54 PM   #392
bungl3

Trader Rating: (0)
bungl3 is making a name for him/her selfbungl3 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pmsl yeah two weeks
bungl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #393
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
alright guys i have everything on order for my rebuild and hopefully i have the pistons in by monday morning so i can take everything to the machine shop and have it back by friday for assembly and cleaning.

Pics of damage.

new block and head are already at my house, just the head needs cleaning and the block is ready to be cut.

i will have updates i am hoping to have everything assembled and reinstalled back into the hooptie next weekend for break in and ring seating. they the following weekend is track....phew this is going to be a busy 2 weeks.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #394
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all

pics of the new pistons and block will be up tomorrow, since all i can do is install the crank and put the pistons in the block until my con-rod bearings show up, im sort of stuck....

Old 06-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #395
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
LOL! You should make a trophy out of that one man!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #396
sebastianpiz

sebastianpiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Need advice on wheel size for Autocross

Hi,

Can you please give some advice on wheel size. I have a 1995 240sx, S14. I will be autocrossing the car on weekends. the car is my daily driver.
thinking of buying 5 zigens. i am not sure if i am choosing the right size. i am trying to get 18x9.5 + 11 for all four wheels. or i might go front 17x9 +15 for Front and 17x10+25 for the rear. please advise. can you please post it here in this forum and please send me email to [email protected].

thanks,
king
sebastianpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #397
sebastianpiz

sebastianpiz is an unknown quantity at this point
need advice on wheel size for '95 S14

Need advice on wheel size for Autocross
Hi,

Can you please give some advice on wheel size. I have a 1995 240sx, S14. I will be autocrossing the car on weekends. the car is my daily driver.
thinking of buying 5 zigens. i am not sure if i am choosing the right size. i am trying to get 18x9.5 + 11 for all four wheels. or i might go front 17x9 +15 for Front and 17x10+25 for the rear. please advise. can you please post it here in this forum and please send me email to [email protected].

thanks,
king
sebastianpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #398
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

I am now to the point where everything i can possibly install is done, until my rod bearings and HG arrive. So i am stuck until then.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #399
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
iwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ok I have a serious question, I have been trying o set up my s13 for a while for hpde type events and I have a big delema, I have come across a set of nice 18's 18x9.5 +12 all around, and I know most tracked s13s run 17's, so is this not an optimal rim size? tires are yet to be determined but i think I may just get rt615's but will these rims make my car sluggish in the handling dept on the track. I have tein type flex atm with 9k springs and i have an orde rin for all adj suspension arms, and will prob have whiteline sways before these go on,

so to sum it up, 18s on a track s13 yay or ney
Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #400
racepar1
Post Whore!

You will have to change the ring and pinion to keep the same acceleration. I think a 4.6 ring and pinion would be good. You can source the 4.6 ring and pinions form the front differential of an x-terra. I'm not sure about the details and I think they came with 4.9 gears in the front diff as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #401
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
iwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
You will have to change the ring and pinion to keep the same acceleration. I think a 4.6 ring and pinion would be good. You can source the 4.6 ring and pinions form the front differential of an x-terra. I'm not sure about the details and I think they came with 4.9 gears in the front diff as well.
will the guts from a xterra 4.6 diff be able to swap to a j30 diff?? ive never heard of people swapping final drives in j30's, well i mean if its eiser to get a 180sx diff with factory lsd ill just buy that one instead... now stretching tires and tracking... any input on that?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #402
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwas-all* View Post
now stretching tires and tracking... any input on that?
worst idea i have ever heard.....if you want wide wheels....buy wide tires. Fill up the rim, even feel free to overflow it a little, but dont strech it, leave that for the drifters and euro VW nuts.

ex - 17x9 rim, feel free to put 275/40R17 tires on them, they fit.

bad ex - 17x12 rim, do not put 265 series tires on them....no point in buying the wide rim and only use 2/3 of it.

Thread UPDATE!!!!

back from my 4th event this year, Hyperfest at Summit Point Main, had a good student, paid attention, listened to me, didnt screw up too bad, made lots of progress. Myself - adjusted to the Stance coilovers, made mild adjustments through the weekend, had a ton of fun with the other instructors on track, almost like a W2W race out there, no rough-housing orr any agressivness, just good clean fun, lots of tricky passes.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #403
racepar1
Post Whore!

The car looks great man! What wheel and tire size are you running in those pics? Looks pretty beefy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwas-all* View Post
now stretching tires and tracking... any input on that?
The whole point of stretch is to eliminate sidewall flex, but eliminating sidewall flex makes it easier for the tires to break traction. It is for that reason that most racecars run bulging rubber, the tires stick a little better. Since racecars have extremely responsive suspension the sloppiness of the sidewall flex really just takes the edge off the car. Now on a car that is not thoroughly track prepped lots of sidewall flex might make the car too sloppy and unresponsive. If you are in that situation you don't want bulging rubber, but you don't want stretch either. You want to go right in the middle where the tires are pretty much bricks.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 AM   #404
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
The car looks great man! What wheel and tire size are you running in those pics? Looks pretty beefy.
Wheels are 16x8 +40 Mazda RX-7 wheels with Toyo RA-1 245/45R16 tires..

Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #405
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX View Post
Wheels are 16x8 +40 Mazda RX-7 wheels with Toyo RA-1 245/45R16 tires..
I knew I recognized those wheels, I just couldn't put my finger on what they were. You must be running some gnarly spacers to make those look pretty flush man!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #406
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I knew I recognized those wheels, I just couldn't put my finger on what they were. You must be running some gnarly spacers to make those look pretty flush man!

about a 1" spacer.....and 3" wheel studs...

Old 06-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #407
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S14SwimShark105
Nice car man, how come you didn't decide to go with a bolt-on spacer instead of a normal spacer?

I went to my first NASA hpde this past weekend and it was pretty cool. Not a ton of track time like speedventures but the instructor being in car with you makes up for it. I went on saturday and sunday and got to hpde 3 by the end of sunday. I want to be instructing someday also.

Do you have any ideas on how to get your racing license? any minimum hpde requirements that i have to take before i can take the racing school?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #408
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14SwimShark105 View Post
Nice car man, how come you didn't decide to go with a bolt-on spacer instead of a normal spacer?

I went to my first NASA hpde this past weekend and it was pretty cool. Not a ton of track time like speedventures but the instructor being in car with you makes up for it. I went on saturday and sunday and got to hpde 3 by the end of sunday. I want to be instructing someday also.

Do you have any ideas on how to get your racing license? any minimum hpde requirements that i have to take before i can take the racing school?

I didnt go with a bolt on spacer because these were free and the studs were cheap, so it was just cheaper in the long run.

east coast and west coast NASA regions do things very different from each other. Our HPDE 3 is almost a race group with guys who have 10-25 HPDE's under their belt, its a very aggressive and fast group in comparison with HPDE 2 and 1. Open passing with a point-by and lots of HP in the group, rookies quickly get moved down if they cant handle it and/or display a lack of skill and awareness. Racing is the next step, most racers have years under their belt in HPDE's or instructing before racing. Then they have to take a COMP School with NASA and pass in order to get their license, i dont know of a minimum amount of events required. I suggest riding with an ex racer in car to see what their speeds and ability are really like before considering a hasty move up. I took an HPDE2 guy out for a drive who claimed to be fast and i pretty much scared him with how the instructor groups passes and handles every situation on track. This is all just something to consider, no actual rules or suggestions here.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #409
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
O I see I see, thanks for the info. Yeah the Nasa West Coast is a pretty fast group, and it is almost like a race group also,they practice all the advanced passing techniques and stuff like that. I felt at the same pace as everyone but I need to work on the techniques they were teaching. I've had a good number of private track events and such before so I think thats why I was able to sneak in to HPDE 3, but I'll be planning to stay here for a while. I had a couple instructors ride with me through out most of my sessions out and I learned a great deal. Hopefully I'll be able to get the skills required to do wheel to wheel soon or to be able to move into hpde 4 haha
Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 AM   #410
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

For anyone who wants to move into the instructor group....Be sure you can handle being a passenger in a car with someone who might be skilled and in a slow group, or someone who has no ability but thinks they are fast. Throwing yourself into that passenger seat isnt for everyone, and on top of that you have to keep your thoughts organized, communication simple, and use hand motions to try and get your knowledge to the driver.

Does the west coast not keep the same instructor per driver for a full HPDE?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #411
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

The west coast usually does keep the same instructor per full hdpe for each student. But after the first day I got signed up for hpde 2 and got a different instructor, and then I got signed off for group 3 in which i had a different instructor. So almost the entire weekend I had an instructor in the car with me. They didn't really trust me to be in group 3 at first because I progressed to hdpe3 in a day, so they had an instructor sit with me through out most of my runs to see if i was qualified to be in hpde3.

In west coast HPDE 1 and HPDE 2 usually run together, HPDE2 an instructor is not required but I still wanted one, I was like a sponge that weekend, taking in any information the instructor would give me haha

Driving instructing is for me, for sure haha I am currently a defensive driving coach for Masterdrive and I love it
Old 06-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #412
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14SwimShark105 View Post
The west coast usually does keep the same instructor per full hdpe for each student. But after the first day I got signed up for hpde 2 and got a different instructor, and then I got signed off for group 3 in which i had a different instructor. So almost the entire weekend I had an instructor in the car with me. They didn't really trust me to be in group 3 at first because I progressed to hdpe3 in a day, so they had an instructor sit with me through out most of my runs to see if i was qualified to be in hpde3.

In west coast HPDE 1 and HPDE 2 usually run together, HPDE2 an instructor is not required but I still wanted one, I was like a sponge that weekend, taking in any information the instructor would give me haha

Driving instructing is for me, for sure haha I am currently a defensive driving coach for Masterdrive and I love it

How many events have you done in general?

good to hear you are set for being an instructor, the more the marrier.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #413
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX View Post
For anyone who wants to move into the instructor group....Be sure you can handle being a passenger in a car with someone who might be skilled and in a slow group, or someone who has no ability but thinks they are fast. Throwing yourself into that passenger seat isnt for everyone, and on top of that you have to keep your thoughts organized, communication simple, and use hand motions to try and get your knowledge to the driver.

Does the west coast not keep the same instructor per driver for a full HPDE?
I really don't think I could handle riding in somebody else's car, especially if they have no clue what is really going on! I am just not that trusting of a person I guess. Hell I can't even fall asleep in the passenger seat on a long road trip because I wanna be in control. Is it common for students to blatantly disregard your advice? That would make me want to kill!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #414
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

If a student seems to be ignoring the instructor then the instructor needs to find a way to get through without violence of physical abuse of anykind. Sometimes being bossy, loud, and commanding will be enough. You just need to make sure the student is prepared to listen to you before you get in the car and go out on track, its tough sometimes because students can vary so much from one to the next, its a gamble everytime. Odds are for every 8-9 good students you have, only 1 will be a PITA, maybe.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #415
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

I've been to about 20+ or so track events and feel that I do belong in HPDE 3.

I've had a few students in my defensive driving school that are the " know it all' and think they are too good to learn anything, I'm sure you guys get those people also. When I go to a track event with an instructor in the passenger seat, I become a sponge, try to take in as much information as possible and see what I can do with it.

There are a lot of people that are fast in HPDE 3 and I think it helps a lot because you get to check out their line and improve your own. You can't improve something if you are practicing with people less skilled than you.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #416
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

you also cant improve something if you never get input from others. I always tried to get other instructors to ride with me just to help me pick up speed. Solo was fun, but i like having input more than anything.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #417
racepar1
Post Whore!

Ya it's pretty difficult to improve all by yourself. The problem is that you fall into bad habits and it is really hard to break those habits, even with other drivers pointing it out sometimes. I find that I can improve when driving alone by hooking up behind a guy that I know is fast and has more experience than me and studying his line for as long as possible. That's exactly how I came up to speed so quick in my first track event. I was lucky enough to get behind a porsche 914 racecar that was just fast enough to get me acclimated, but not fast enough to make me push it too hard. After the first session it was on! I knocked off between .5 second to 2 seconds in each of the remaining 4 sessions.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #418
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

following a faster driver is a good idea for seeing a line, but following someone elses line can lead to very bad things, i urge m students not to follow or drivers lines because if they screw up, you screw up too, you might develope a FWD line and hinder your own depending on what you are following, or you might be following someone who is fast but not actually utilizing the whole track and limiting you in the long run.

for a short period of time for an idea is fine, for laps on top of laps...no good.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #419
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

alright fellas, its about 2 weeks until im in Illinois on my way to WMHM at Gingerman raceway.

I am re-balancing my RA-1's mounting a set of hankook's as back-ups and i already dialed in a touch more front camber (-3*). Everything has been cleaned up, vacuumed out, wiped down, and ready for video and photos. Hopefully i get some good stuff to post up and show off for the sponsor.

wish me luck boys, its a 13hr drive there, so ill be needing it. Feel free to let me know if you can make it out and hangout for a day (19th-20th)

Old 07-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #420
racepar1
Post Whore!

No more burned pistons this time right!!!???