Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
jdhariwal
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jdhariwal is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S14 New Pads wont fit Caliper. How do I compress caliper piston!?

Been trying for the past hour to get my caliper on. Just put on some new pads because my other ones were grinding. From the look of it, the old ones are OEM pads, so I dont think the previous owner ever changed the pads. The new ones are obviously much thicker, so I have to compress the caliper piston. It hasn't moved at all. I tried using huge pliers to push them in, also tried to use needle nose pliers because some people said you have to twist them, but I can't get a grip on it with those pliers. I took off the brake fluid cap to release some pressure, but that didnt work either. I have to do this right now because I have work in the morning, and am unable to get a c-clamp from somebody (and according to other threads, c-clamps dont work very well either)

How the hell do I compress the piston back in!?!???
jdhariwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Is this for the front or rears?

The fronts compress back. Use some channel lock pliers to compress the piston back in.

The rears need to be spun back in. You can use needel nose pliers, but it's best to use a caliper piston tool.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
jdhariwal
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jdhariwal is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its for the rear. Also, the boot has a little tear in it, not sure if thats a big deal. I guess I'm gonna run to Kragen and grab that tool.
jdhariwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
DennisC
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
DennisC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If the rubber boot has a tear, it would be a good idea to get the rebuild kit too to replace the seal or else dirt/dust may get into the caliper.
DennisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
trsebert

Trader Rating: (0)
trsebert is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yougoogle take a set of google channel locks and google grab the edge of thegoogle caliper and the edge of the piston and google squeeze.

This is definitely something I think we all can agree that you could have googled first.
trsebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
silver350z05rb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
silver350z05rb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Sometimes because theyre old,they get stuck and you have to summen your inner God strenght,or call your neighbor who is a bodybulider
silver350z05rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if the rotors are really thin and the pads are down to metal, the piston might have gotten pushed out too far. so far that the o ring seal on the piston came out. if this is the case, you might have to completely remove the piston out and realign it perfectly to go back in. loosen the bleeder screw to make it easier. if there is a lot of dirt in the piston and caliper, you might as well rebuild it. rebuild kits come with new 0 ring and boot
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
The rears need to be "threaded" back in due to the e-brake assembly integrated into the caliper.