Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
keeeban
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
keeeban is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Arrow S14 Continuous clunking/knocking coming from rear only on acceleration/load - *video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25B4SFZWDRs

Noise seems to be coming from the rear driver's side and also felt under the driver's seat. Sounds like something constantly hitting or rattling another thing only under load
This only started happening right after swapping the rear subframe bushings for energy suspension polyurethanes, and swapping the drivers side rear axle for a good used one. Had never heard this kind of noise before. Car has a vlsd as well.

This noise does not appear when off the gas, or in neutral; only when on the gas. Sound is slower at lower speeds, but the sound speeds up if I put the gas pedal to the floor. More apparent at lower rpms, sound gets faster and louder when gas pedal gets mashed to the floor. At higher rpms in 1st and 2nd gear, sound is less apparent and seems to go away. No sound upon braking, or coming to a stop. ONLY when on the gas, the sound appears. Since it sounds like a rotating sound the only things I can think of are the hub, wheel bearing, axle, diff, or driveshaft. But before swapping the subframe bushings and drivers side axle, things were fine.

After some diagnosing, rear driver's side RUCA heim joint is worn, and causes the wheel to have play by pulling when the car is jacked up, which could also be the wheel bearing/hub, or both, but it's hard to pinpoint this clunking noise only coming from a bad heim joint/wheel bearing, but I guess it may be possible due to the rear squatting and causing stress to the joint? Will definitely be replacing the cheapo godspeed rucas asap, but would like any input on what else this noise can result from.

Axles are all bolted up tight, driveshaft seems fine, and no excessive play in the axle shafts & driveshaft. This noise only appeared after changing the subframe bushings and the rear driver's side axle.

Will be swapping the differential bushings as soon as midterms are over next week since those are definitely worn as well.

Hopefully, the noise is just coming from the diff bushings as 'aznpoopy' had a similar problem in his thread back in 06:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/112116-rear-clunking-under-load.html

I was going to PM him to see if this is the same noise he had, but he hasn't been on since 2011, so i'm making this thread to get more input from the more experienced members.

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by keeeban; 03-14-2013 at 12:58 PM..
keeeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
check the bolts on the axles to the diff.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
keeeban
Zilvia Addict

Bolts are tight, but if they were loose I would think there would be noise even off the gas, no?

I'll double check all the bolts when I get the chance on friday
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
blktopsr20
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (83)
blktopsr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 83 reviews
Hubs are bad. That was the same exact sound mines made that i've been ignoring for years and finally replaced them before i sold the car. It made my daily commute alot quieter for sure. I kinda missed driving with that noise since it keeps me awake all the time

Clunking noise is made by bad subframe bushings. They are more noticeable when braking.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (26)
S14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
This past summer I put the energy subframe and diff bushings in my s14 and I have a sound now as well, not quite the exact sound you're getting, but similar. It does sound as if the drive shaft is loose, like its bouncing around but it isnt. I've checked multiple times. The noise I get though, is when I'm coasting along, not under load. On my car I have a vlsd, stance coils, with stance rucas, all other arms are stock. I thought it may be my hub as well but I dont see how that could be it when my car never made a single noise like this before. It's been frustrating me all winter long.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
polar951

Trader Rating: (0)
polar951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've had this problem too. Happened when my car was bone stock and would only be on acceleration. I recently checked the axles and everything else and it all seemed fine, no play at all. Maybe i'll look into the hubs. It only happens every now and then but i have the same exact problem
polar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is your car slammed? Saw this the other day with a S14, car was so low the rear sway bar was hitting the diff on that ring where the drive shaft hooks up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
keeeban
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktopsr20 View Post
Hubs are bad. That was the same exact sound mines made that i've been ignoring for years and finally replaced them before i sold the car. It made my daily commute alot quieter for sure. I kinda missed driving with that noise since it keeps me awake all the time

Clunking noise is made by bad subframe bushings. They are more noticeable when braking.
Yeah the wheel bearing/hub has play too along with the ruca heim joint.. will look into replacing that too. No clunking on braking, just that knocking noise on accel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
Is your car slammed? Saw this the other day with a S14, car was so low the rear sway bar was hitting the diff on that ring where the drive shaft hooks up.
Yeah it's fairly low, but I've been at the same height before I did the subframe bushings and axle and it didn't make that noise before. Pretty sure everything is bolted up tightly so I don't think it can be that but i'll give it a look
Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
silvia303

silvia303 is an unknown quantity at this point
having the same exact problem! please keep me updated if you find out the problem thanks!
silvia303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #10
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
just curious, is that your check engine light on?
jack the car up securely and put it in gear, apply throttle. I shouldn't have to say "take caution" but you're 20! This will help you isolate the noise. unless you already determined the location and sound.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
keeeban
Zilvia Addict

hahaha yeah, i've isolated the sound/area. Will get to working on it as soon as midterms are done with so I'll update it as I go along. No worries on the cel though, just a bad knock sensor i've been lagging on fixing.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
godsmack
Zilvia Addict

godsmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you sure that you have no play in your axles? That sounds like a bad u-joint. And by play I mean by twisting the axle if one spins before the tire you got a bad joint and it'll make that same sound only on accel. Do you feel any vibrations in the transmission?
godsmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
silvertable58

silvertable58 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the exact same noise . happen after i got a rear wheel alignment. mods in rear are coilovers rear camber ajustable and rear toes adjustable.
silvertable58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
keeeban
Zilvia Addict

oops forgot to post. after replacing the rear driver's side axle as well as the rucas, the noise went away.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:25 PM   #15
2fastandfurious
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
2fastandfurious is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So was it the Rucas all alone or the axle? I have the same issue >.<
Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #16
princequeeley
Leaky Injector

princequeeley is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having a similar problem, I'm replacing the axle tomorrow to see if it goes away
princequeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #17
s14Art
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
s14Art is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by princequeeley View Post
I'm having a similar problem, I'm replacing the axle tomorrow to see if it goes away
Did it go away? I need to change mine soon as well.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #18
princequeeley
Leaky Injector

princequeeley is an unknown quantity at this point
Axle bearings had chewed themselves completely up, lol it was a easy fix only to find out my pressure play was loose, held on by only three bolts. Previous owner was a young kid that cut corners
princequeeley is offline   Reply With Quote