Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Spectre420

Trader Rating: (0)
Spectre420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
91 240sx steering issue

Hi everyone!
New here!
Been lurkin for a minute while fixing up my car and so far was able to search and find everything i need until now.
So i recently snagged a 91 240sx off craigslist.
It had some issues. But I got it running for 700$ total build cost (including car) so far.
So heres the issue.
I will be driving down the road, and speeds of 40-55mph can (but dont always) cause vibrations. These vibrations can be barely detectable or really scary. Also, at any speed if I hit a bump or turn slightly in the right direction, the steering wheel will turn about 45 degrees left and the wheels will continue straight.

BOTH the vibrations and the steering issue can be resolved when the brakes are applied. The steering will straighten up and the vibration will stop. The car has no power steering. I will also hear the occasional clunk from the suspension that I believe to be from bad/failing parts loosening up.

I know the radius arms/tension rods and their mounts are bad/worn out and the tie rod ends are basically shot. The wheels/tires were vibration free on another vehicle and both have hub-centric mounting. The hubs, bearings, and brakes are all new and good.
But I don't think either one of these things could cause the wheel to turn that far to the left while the wheels stay straight or those massive vibrations.

I am trying to get together a list of parts I will need to correct all these issues.
So far I have on my to-get list:
Megan racing tie rod ends
Nismo power brace
Megan racing radius rods

I think that should clear up most of the vibration but I doubt that will fix the steering issue. That's why I am here.
Is there any tests I can do? Am I possibly looking at a bad steering rack?
If you don't think its diagnosable with the current known bad parts, let me know and I will fix those first. I was just trying to get an idea of what this will cost overall before I pick up a wrench.

Thanks for checking out my post and any help provided.
Spectre420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace the tie rod ends and any other bushing or joint in bad condition.
If you still have the issue, refer to the link below.

5th post:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=314142
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
You're dealing with an approximately 24 year old car.

If these parts haven't been replaced, you should do so:

Front lower control arms
Tie rods/ends
Tension rods
Swaybar bushings/endlinks
Steering rack bushings

You might also want to verify that your hubs/bearings aren't falling apart. I once had a friend not fully tighten down my front hub after a swap. It shook like crazy, but stopped once I applied the brakes.

The majority of the parts listed above are very affordable these days and well worth the money if you want the car to handle as it should.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
bmxer882x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
bmxer882x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Lift the front end up and wiggle the wheels side to side like your turning. Feel for play. If there is excessive movement then replace wherever your extra movement is coming from. That would be the cheap way of replacing only the worst damaged parts. On my own car I replaced everything however. As preventative maintenance
bmxer882x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Spectre420

Spectre420 is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys are fantastic!
I will do everything listed there as promptly as time and budget allows.
If it doesn't resolve the issue, I will return here. Until then, thank you.
Spectre420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
AzS13hatch
Leaky Injector

AzS13hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Honestly sounds like bad steering rack bushings. My car did something similar but not nearly as drastic of a change in the steering wheel. My guess is I just caught mine early on and yours is totally gone. I also replaced everything else suspension wise after that but the problem went away with just the steering rack bushings.
AzS13hatch is offline   Reply With Quote