Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-21-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Hypertek99
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Hypertek99 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch Change Help Please!!!

I'm changing my clutch for the first time in a 96 240sx. Does anyone have any good sites or walkthroughs??? Is it a tough job??? I changed out a clutch in my girlfriends CRX last month, is a rear wheel drive easier??? Any help would be appreciated.
Hypertek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 AM   #2
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
wow, have fun.

search helps alot on this forum, your new, but be warned others will enlighten you to the sarch button
Old 07-21-2005, 12:50 AM   #3
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
i think it'd be easier to pull the engine and tranny while still connected.

If yo DIY, you gotta have a buddy help you with lining up the tranny n engine. Good luck
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:01 AM   #4
SpeedMonkeyInc
Zilvia FREAK!

SpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond repute
RWD is easier than FWD. I did a clutch job on an Integra and my S14, both sucked but the Honda sucked more.
In the end its just bolts. If you don't try any short cuts you will be fine.
SpeedMonkeyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
Hypertek99
Leaky Injector

It's going to be a fun day tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:36 AM   #6
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
you seriously need to learn the use of the search button instead of these lame ass posts. 6 years on a forum and never learned how to search.......tisk tisk

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:07 AM   #7
Buffalo Daughter
Zilvia Addict

Buffalo Daughter will become famous soon enoughBuffalo Daughter will become famous soon enoughBuffalo Daughter will become famous soon enough
You know what i was gonna do a write up but stopped when i was almost done. bleh.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 AM   #8
pignosecoupe
Leaky Injector

pignosecoupe has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by sochbat
I had pretty good luck with leaving the tranny in the car. Put a jack under the tranny and remove the motor mounts from the motor. When you put the engine back in, you can lower the engine further into the engine bay which allowed for the tranny and engine to line up nice and flat. Bolt them up. Then you jack up the engine and tranny just enough to fit the motor mounts. Bolt them up.
Ofcourse this is not the full description, but it is fairly straight forward.

-
pignosecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sochbat

If yo DIY, you gotta have a buddy help you with lining up the tranny n engine. Good luck
You're joking right?

The transmission drops right out with zero effort if you pull down on the downpipe while removing it. Pulling the engine is five times the work. In all seriousness a clutch change should take no more than two hours from start to finish, one person, no air tools. With assistance and air, one hour tops. It's very, very easy.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #10
95Blue240sx
Post Whore!

95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection
i wouldnt say its that easy. Took me 3hours, with a friend. First we had problems with the housing hitting the firewall and wouldnt drop down, then putting it back in. It's not hard, just tedious. get a long extension, i mean long fucking extension to get the top bolt where the sensor is, and everything else is pretty strait forward. Oh yeah also use SUV jack stands, gets high enough to pull the tranny out and youll feel safe with the huge stands.

The best part of the job was when i was pushing the tranny out and my friend was on the tail end, i forgot to tell him to keep the driveshaft it, and *PLOP* the driveshaft comes out, along with redline fluid on his face! hhahaha

Please leave me feedback
95Blue240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
r240na must be a guru to do a clutch job in 1 hr..... i say2-3 hours is coo.... but yeah clutch jobs are cake..... i hate doing fwd clutches its such a pain... and espacially on integra's that pme bracket in the back is ridiculous...
Old 07-21-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
IAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IAM_SO_sLOw
just wondering how do you guys get off the clutch plate... i think thats what its called it goes over the clutch... every time i try to turn one bolt the whole engine turns...
IAM_SO_sLOw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:16 PM   #13
240trainee
Post Whore!

240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM_SO_sLOw
just wondering how do you guys get off the clutch plate... i think thats what its called it goes over the clutch... every time i try to turn one bolt the whole engine turns...
air tools are your friend.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #14
m0rex
Zilvia FREAK!

m0rex is on a distinguished road
How about awd clutch jobs? Are they hard. Im gonna have to do my evos clutch pretty soon i dont think i should be asking here but compared to my s14 which is harder? My dad changes clutches real fast im gonna give him $20 bucks and some breakfast and make his ass do it.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #15
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
u need a fly wheel holder or air tools.. or lock it up with a good flat head screw driver....
Old 07-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #16
95Blue240sx
Post Whore!

95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection
clutch flywheel tool is what i used. I borrowed it from a friend and works pretty good. Although it need 2 people, one to hold and the other to loosen.

Please leave me feedback
95Blue240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #17
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Blue240sx
i wouldnt say its that easy. Took me 3hours, with a friend. First we had problems with the housing hitting the firewall and wouldnt drop down, then putting it back in. It's not hard, just tedious.
As mentioned above, pull down on the downpipe, the motor will rock back and the transmission literally drops right out. There's nothing complicated at all.

"r240na must be a guru to do a clutch job in 1 hr...." - When you're charging someone by the book, you want to get it out as quick as possible to make more money. I don't fuck around on a clutch, working one hour, getting drunk, and making four hours worth of labor is better than laying under it crying for the four hours.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #18
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
240sx.org

has a walkthrough... WITH PICTURES! (zomg gasp)
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #19
Hypertek99
Leaky Injector

Thanks for all the reply.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:33 AM   #20
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM_SO_sLOw
are you serious??? you just have to use big ass breaker bar and lock the pullet and they come loose like no tommorow
Old 07-22-2005, 11:02 AM   #21
drew935
Zilvia Addict

drew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her selfdrew935 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rex
How about awd clutch jobs? Are they hard. Im gonna have to do my evos clutch pretty soon i dont think i should be asking here but compared to my s14 which is harder? My dad changes clutches real fast im gonna give him $20 bucks and some breakfast and make his ass do it.
Evo clutches aren't as easy to drop and put back in. It's like a fitting puzzle...but make sure that pushes the clip in for the throw-out bearing or else you will be buying a new one. Unless the bearing is already bad. It takes about 3-4 hrs with 2 people and the right tools.

I would rather do an s14 clutch or suby clutch instead. It's a lot friendlier. I can pull both of those off in an hour.