Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #3241
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
or are you guys running a stock FPR?

EDIT: since my post got lost last page--------

are you guys running adjustable FPR's? what is your setting at?

just picked up a nismo.

I have a walbro 255, and it's currently at stock setting. i can't check, but i have another FPR with a gauge on it. i might just hook it all up, though it's unnecessary lol.

it is one of those ebay type's, it's from DNA motoring. has a gauge so i'll at least know what PSI i'm at.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #3242
NickIsAZero
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (41)
NickIsAZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
My fuel setup is pretty basic... Just a Walbro 255 and 550's with the stock FPR. Could it be better? Yea, is it reliable? I'd say so.
NickIsAZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #3243
jamg
Nissanaholic!

that's what i currently have.

what are your A/F ratios? at idle and wide open throttle? What tune are you on?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #3244
NickIsAZero
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (41)
NickIsAZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
that's what i currently have.

what are your A/F ratios? at idle and wide open throttle? What tune are you on?
I don't remember, it was tuned a while back. I'm still running on Emanage
NickIsAZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #3245
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
I'm running an Aeromotive AFPR with -6AN lines throughout. I think it's set at roughly 45 psi base pressure. I make minimal adjustments to it to adjust my tune accordingly. I have a wideband, so I just pay attention to that and try to keep the WOT AFR between 11.5 and 12.0.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #3246
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I run an aeromotive fpr, with -6an lines as well, but with simple push lock fittings. The fuel pressure should always be 3bar 43.5psi unless your tuner or injector manufacturer specifies different. And if you are tuned, and you need to adjust fuel pressure, get re tuned. Now cams tend to lower vacuum that's when you may need an adjustable fpr. To help you maintain that base fuel pressure of about 43.5psi. There are other reasons fuel pressure maybe to high or low, just to name a few: vacuum leaks, weak or tired engine, clogged fuel filter and or lines.

woooooooooooosh! <----that's me flying off in my super tech-man outfit!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #3247
Amelia617

Trader Rating: (0)
Amelia617 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok thanks Ray. I guess I'm not the only one
Amelia617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #3248
jamg
Nissanaholic!

So a stock FPR, that connects to the rail?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #3249
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
You mean me? If so yeah from a ka. It's been drilled out, so fuel flows straight through to the aeromotive unit. I should buy a fitting for the rail, but this works fine, so I haven't touched it in 6years

Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #3250
jamg
Nissanaholic!

got it.

since i have a nismo, and no fuel pressure gauge to see the flow, i might just run the nismo, have it on full open, and run the other FPR i have, with the pressure gauge on the side.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #3251
tabasco122
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
tabasco122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You need a gauge with an adjustable, you can get one with fittings for less than $20 from jegs or summit. That goes inline with the feed.
tabasco122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #3252
SR20HAYES

SR20HAYES is an unknown quantity at this point
I started installing my gt2871r. However I ran into a problem when clocking the turbo. The actuator bracket needed to be flipped, but doing so causes the rod to not reach to the flapper. I did research and found that some people were having to make their own actuator bracket. None of the pictures from these older threads were working though. I was hoping someone could post a picture of the bracket they made so I can maybe get an idea of how to make my own.

I came across this bracket on ebay. Garrett Adjustable Wastegate Bracket GT25R GT28R GT30R | eBay It looks like it might work due to the bend being opposite of the stock bracket. So instead of being further from the flapper it would be closer. What do you guys think?

I also was looking into a way to extend the rod and came across this. http://www.himni-racing.com/index.ph...2srt49mbeg6923 Has anyone used this type of extension before? It does not say the tread pitch so I was a little unsure if it would even fit.

Anyways If you guys could help me figure a way to get this actuator to work on my turbo it would be greatly appreciated.

SR20HAYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #3253
cotbu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
got it.

since i have a nismo, and no fuel pressure gauge to see the flow, i might just run the nismo, have it on full open, and run the other FPR i have, with the pressure gauge on the side.
Stock and nismo units don't work like that, with no vacuum they are closed. So to allow fuel to flow through it, it had to be drilled out or drilled through the piston.
What you can do is pull apart the internals of the fpr with the gauge install it after the filter and adjust the nismo unit. I don't know what type of fpr it is but the ones like isis, can be stripped apart and used as a fpr gauge adapter. that's probably not feasible when you can by a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and hose adapter so cheap.

You can rotate the rod, grab it and twist it clockwise, see if you have enough room to attach it. There are many ways too fix your issue, and I shouldn't take that away from you.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #3254
SR20HAYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post

You can rotate the rod, grab it and twist it clockwise, see if you have enough room to attach it. There are many ways too fix your issue, and I shouldn't take that away from you.
The problem is the rod is now too short. I extended to rod end all the way out and still can't attach it. Maybe if i preload the shit out of it would, but obviously I wouldn't want to do that.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #3255
cotbu
Post Whore!

Stack washers underneath the bracket, may need longer bolts. Cant really see how far away it, but you'll want a little preload.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #3256
SR20HAYES

Yea sorry about the pic. I posted it more so you guys could see the housing. I will take a better picture today after work. Its pretty far. It only comes sort of close if the rod end is all the way extended and only being held on by a few threads which I don't think would be safe, but either way it don't reach. I saw other threads where people were saying you need to make a custom bracket for the actuator. Unfortunately the pics were no longer working cause the threads were so old. When I get home I will post better pics and links to the thread.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #3257
SR20HAYES

Ok so I spoke with the guys at ATP Turbo and they seemed to be very knowledgeable. Once I told them which housing and that it was being clocked for the rwd sr20 they sent me this link Garrett Adjustable Wastegate Bracket : atpturbo.com and assured me this would solve my problem. If you notice it is the same bracket I posted earlier from EBAY lol. I thought the bracket would do the trick, but wasn't sure if that was the one I needed. Once I get the bracket Installed I will post pictures of it and how it fits so if anyone runs into the same issue as me they will know what to do.

Oh, and thanks for your responses cotbu. I appreciate you helping me try and figure it out.

Last edited by SR20HAYES; 05-06-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #3258
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New 2871r owner here. Freshly installed on sunday just got to drive it some today and it pulls nice. Hope to film some pulls on my gopro once i get the boost controller dialed in.

What ive noticed is a lot of people going external gate on these. At what PSI does the boost creep start to become an issue im wondering?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #3259
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
What you can do is pull apart the internals of the fpr with the gauge install it after the filter and adjust the nismo unit.that's probably not feasible when you can by a mechanical fuel pressure gauge and hose adapter so cheap.
No one is making 5/16 gauge adapters anymore, best bet is to go to the hardware store and get an 1/8 NPT Tee and 2 5/16 Barb to 1/8 NPT fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateirving View Post
At what PSI does the boost creep start to become an issue im wondering?
These turbos creep at anything under 14psi
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #3260
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have mine internally gated (ported the hole) and it holds at a steady 17 psi. Well see what happens at 22 though
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #3261
RocketOgre
Leaky Injector

RocketOgre is an unknown quantity at this point
With nearly 200k miles on my motor my head gasket finally gave way, it's had a GT2871R on it for 120k of those miles running at least 15psi the whole time. Forge Motorsport External wastegate is rock solid boost until 20psi then it gets a little fuzzy, also evidently kills paper headgaskets from 1991.

Plan is:
Cometic MLS headgasket
Poncams
ARP studs
new oil/water pumps
Tomei RAS

It's got a JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, and 740cc injectors. AFC-Neo to correct for cams and fine tune.

Any suggestions for while I've got the head off? Hoping to get in the damn near 400whp club with this setup.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #3262
sil14zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
sil14zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
although i have never run one, most people don't agree with cometic hg. personally i would spend the few extra bux and get something else. i've run cosworth and apexi and have never had any issue's. make sure you at least get the head decked also.
sil14zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #3263
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
Yea I've always heard bad things about cosmetics. I had a apexi one. Top notch quality.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #3264
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
go big, go apexi HG,

or cosworth to save a buck,

though quite often its the prep (or lack of) that leads people with cometic to fail. i had ones for years...tempted to re run it a few times now haha
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #3265
cotbu
Post Whore!

Just for the record, cometic head gaskets are shit compared to other gasket manufactures, but the still work. I didn't deck the block or head, because they were straight. My surfaces were cleaned by hand. I also didn't use copper spray, i did use gray rtv around the timing cover. 20, 40, 60, 80, 80. I was on a budget and FRsport came to the rescue. At the shop we only use cosworth gaskets or whatever a customer requests which is usually Apexi, but I wanted to get studs also so I decided to use the cometic HG, and see if there really was an issue when not decking or having a super mirror surface. The conclusion is there is no issue with sealing the head to the block and it's all just a matter of preference.
Quote:
With nearly 200k miles on my motor my head gasket finally gave way, it's had a GT2871R on it for 120k of those miles running at least 15psi the whole time. Forge Motorsport External wastegate is rock solid boost until 20psi then it gets a little fuzzy, also evidently kills paper headgaskets from 1991.

Plan is:
Cometic MLS headgasket
Poncams
ARP studs
new oil/water pumps
Tomei RAS

It's got a JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, and 740cc injectors. AFC-Neo to correct for cams and fine tune.

Any suggestions for while I've got the head off? Hoping to get in the damn near 400whp club with this setup.
Have jwt re-tune the ecu if you need to use the afc for the poncams, poncams are not that aggressive.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #3266
AsleepAltima
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
AsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
my 2871 bit the dust. it was fun while it lasted. probably gonna sell it now. replaced it with a tomei arms m8270.
AsleepAltima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #3267
cjack300zx

cjack300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsleepAltima View Post
my 2871 bit the dust. it was fun while it lasted. probably gonna sell it now. replaced it with a tomei arms m8270.
How many miles did you have on it?
cjack300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #3268
AsleepAltima
Zilvia Addict

AsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack300zx View Post
How many miles did you have on it?
Right about 7k and then the bearing cartridge came apart.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #3269
Nicholas6211

Nicholas6211 is an unknown quantity at this point
What boost is that car running?
Nicholas6211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #3270
AsleepAltima
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas6211 View Post
What boost is that car running?
20-22 pounds. Ran great for a while