Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #1861
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
So why did you do that? Just because the tires are rubbing?

And are those metal?

Metal bumpstops = really bad.

Not only can it do damage to the damper, when you hit it, your spring rate will suddenly go to infinity, possibly causing you to lose control.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #1862
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looks like the wheels will compress like an inch to inch and a half before hitting those bumpstops...

Argh...
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #1863
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please tell me there are poly bushings between your shock body and those stops!

What you need to do is pull the springs, wrap a zip tie around your damper shaft and see what the highest point the shock body travels to on compression before it hits the wheel well. Then buy some micro-cellular polyurethane bump stops. and stack/trim them down to stop the shock body movement at the point that was located by the zip tie.

As was mentioned before the point is to have a controlled progression of spring rate as you bottom out. Not to go directly from 7k to Infinity. You will loose control.

These are cheap:

https://www.circletracksupply.com/pr...1&cat=0&page=4

Also, if you're 3 wheeling, you are running too much anti-roll bar on the end of the car that's lifting.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #1864
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
He still has the Tein bump stops underneath the dust boots.

What you should really do is get a big hammer and pound the wheel wells. No sense in reducing suspension travel just to solve a little rubbing.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #1865
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In that case, clean solution.

Air-Hammer FTW!!!
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #1866
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
And are those metal?
Metal bumpstops = really bad.
really....? translucent metal?

Quote:
He still has the Tein bump stops underneath the dust boots.
some body was reading... still confused with your first comment though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
Please tell me there are poly bushings between your shock body and those stops!
What you need to do is pull the springs, wrap a zip tie around your damper shaft and see what the highest point the shock body travels to on compression before it hits the wheel well. Then buy some micro-cellular polyurethane bump stops. and stack/trim them down to stop the shock body movement at the point that was located by the zip tie. Also, if you're 3 wheeling, you are running too much anti-roll bar on the end of the car that's lifting.
you obviously didn't read that I have the Tein poly stops under the dust boot.... they are actually softer than the poly we're used to in control arm bushings. Please don't suggest I randomly created the length of my stops... why do you think I put the assembly back on the car without the spring...?

I only three wheel when I traverse an uneven surface. My suspension has much more travel than most of you guys; at the ride height you're showing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZxkbEBwKQ0

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson

Last edited by s14unimog; 10-26-2010 at 12:22 PM..
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #1867
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Haha, nice vid.

But like I said. Just get a hammer back there and beat on the inner fenderwell a bit.

Rubbing solved. Still have full suspension travel.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #1868
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
if you consider the length of the exposed shock shaft and the height of the bump stop under the boot, you would almost have to be at stock height to get those to bottom out; that or run smaller wheels. Plus you would have to jump the car, to bottom them out.

I did that video to prove to a Jeep guy that a clutch type diff can provide a full 100% lock... He assured me it wasn't possible. I felt an example was in order.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #1869
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

I know it only rubs when you three wheel, but I'd rather have that travel and not use it then limit the travel and have something happen where I needed it.

Do you just not like the idea of the hammer?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #1870
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
I only three wheel when I traverse an uneven surface. My suspension has much more travel than most of you guys; at the ride height you're showing.
Your suspension don't have THAT much travel, although compared to most guys on zilvia, yeah, sure.

Get some tender springs and and you'll get another two inches or more droop, and your wheel would be touching the ground there, on both sides.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #1871
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Well are your tires still rubbing? If not then you're limiting travel. Because clearly the suspension was using that travel in some situations. Now in those same situations you'll hit the bump stops, probably causing the car to hop. Not good for traction or predictability.I'm just saying, i'd rather have that travel and not use it then limit the travel and have something happen where I needed it.
they're not but like I said its not very often I would ever rub unless I was traversing uneven surfaces. Not to mention this is ONLY a problem with a 245/40 and not to mention, I'm only running ~-1* of camber in the rear. This is far safer than bottoming out the tire on the wheel well. You don't think a stiffer setup would hope too? I've chosen a more stable arrangment than those who become air born when cresting small bumps....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Your suspension don't have THAT much travel, although compared to most guys on zilvia, yeah, sure.

we're speaking in relative terms here.... I would say my Jeep has just over 20"

Get some tender springs and and you'll get another two inches or more droop, and your wheel would be touching the ground there, on both sides.
I know but its quite a feat to get into my garage. I think this is more than acceptable when faced against such a change in surfaces.

Quote:
I know it only rubs when you three wheel, but I'd rather have that travel and not use it then limit the travel and have something happen where I needed it. Do you just not like the idea of the hammer?
Then why slam your car? These are the sacrifices we make with a lowered car, I think you've actually said that before in here. I've limited travel, as compared to when I would rub, by only an additional 3/8" for tread clearance; this is not a huge sacrifice. Besides, that part of the fender will not stretch well and could cause the outer skin to buckle. The clear solution is over flares, and to just remove that area. We all know there isn't that much room back there. The problem is that I prefer sheet metal back there encase I blow a tire. I use this car for drifting btw...

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #1872
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
most aggressive driveway angle entry i've ever seen
Old 10-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #1873
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

^ tell me about it... If it didn't involve me spending a few thousand to fix, I would have done something about it. At least I can get in and out without dragging. Just have to do it just like that.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #1874
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Because a low center of gravity with a corrected roll center is awesome.

I would rather have my chassis scrape the ground then my suspension bottom out.

Heat it up. Hit it with a hammer. It'll stretch.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #1875
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I should take a picture of me wheel wells...

shit is amazing. LOL

and doesnt that 3 wheel jazz also happen when you run a bunch of preload?

I remember when i first got my coils a few years ago and i had no idea how they worked i gave them a bunch of preload and i would 3 wheel going up the smallest thing lolol

now i have 0 preload and that shit stays on the ground like always. and its the car in my sig lolol
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #1876
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Because a low center of gravity with a corrected roll center is awesome. I would rather have my chassis scrape the ground then my suspension bottom out. Heat it up. Hit it with a hammer. It'll stretch.
I can see that, but there is a limit and I would prefer to have better ground contact and more suspension travel than bounce all over the road. We'll agree to disagree on what should hit first. I'd rather not hit the chassis on the ground. More clearance isn't necessary, this is a compromise I've made. You have yours and your car will act uniquely different than mine.

this is 3rd gear on a slanted bank, and I still wouldn't bottom out. Like I said, the car is quite predictable responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieko View Post
and doesnt that 3 wheel jazz also happen when you run a bunch of preload?
5mm... Just as Tein outlines.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 10-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #1877
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
My friend made the knuckles. Are you saying I could get the same angle, but have proper alignment with the tie rod if I had a different angle on the tie rod pick up on the spindle?
as you can see our Super angle knuckle kit points the tie rod end in the opposite direction as yours, which lowers ackerman, lowers your chances of over centering and for sure we achieve alignment albeit with a longer than average tie rod.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #1878
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
as you can see our Super angle knuckle kit points the tie rod end in the opposite direction as yours, which lowers ackerman, lowers your chances of over centering and for sure we achieve alignment albeit with a longer than average tie rod.
That's how mine is too.

After experimenting with the stock knuckles, I have come to the conclusion that to achieve more angle while reducing the chance of over centering, you need to move the tie rod end pickup points OUTWARD from the stock location, that way it will achieve more angle at the wheel, but at the same time increase the angle between the tie rod and the steering arm on the knuckle, thus reducing the change that they will line up enough to cause over centering.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #1879
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
*oh I see what you mean

Last edited by az_240; 10-27-2010 at 02:27 AM..
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #1880
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
The angle compared to the ball joint appears to be the same direction as mine - you just don't have the bend in the knuckle that I see in my picture...and yours looks to be angled more. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #1881
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Just did a bit of modification this week, corrected it as much as I could by messing with the Godspeed hardware.
I replaced the inner rod end with some QA1 bearings, but the outer ones are the stock Godspeed ones.
The outer bearings are pretty stiff though, do you guys think they'll work themselves looser as I drive it?

Maybe I should just replace the outer bearing and use a bolt as well...
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #1882
SoSideways
Post Whore!

It might loosen itself, it's hard to tell.

What you can do, is press those bearings out, measure their O.D. (I have one sitting in front of me right now, but chances are, these things are so shitty that they're not the same O.D. batch to batch, so you're better off measuring your own, plus I don't have my caliper in front of me right now lol), then soak them sons of bitches in PB Blaster over night.

Then measure the I.D. of the bearing mounting cup. You should find that it's so shitty that it's out of round. Then from there, just try to open up the cup a bit, to within .0002" of the GS bearing's O.D., that way the bearing will pop right in with a very light press.

Once the bearing is back in, just take a breaker bar, or an extension for ratchet/sockets, and just work the bearing around.

Part of the issue with these bearings is that, they're in such an undersized bearing cup, that is out of round, that it's literally squeezing the bearing's race, thus preventing it from moving freely. That, and the bearing themselves are a little bit stiff to begin with as well.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #1883
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Yep, my chinapseed arms were so much of a press fit the cheap steel of the bearing races actually "smeared" as they pressed it in with a 30T press or whatever. They only came out with lots of cursing and lots of heat. Snapped my bench vise in two as well on one of them... Grrrr...

Opening up the cups a bit definitely helps the bearings at least sorta rotate.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #1884
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Hmm, that was my sneaking suspicion since the guy that made his own arms had problems like these when he pushed his bearings in.

I guess I'm gonna mess with this some more this weekend!
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #1885
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Using a harbor freight 1.5'' wire brush actually opens the chinaspeed arms really well since the metal is so soft. Try that.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #1886
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
oh snap really? i paid $30 for some metal shaving bits from sears.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #1887
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
Using a harbor freight 1.5'' wire brush actually opens the chinaspeed arms really well since the metal is so soft. Try that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
oh snap really? i paid $30 for some metal shaving bits from sears.
I used the 60 grit replaceable sanding drums for a Dremel at 8000rpm.

Small enough to maneuver and small enough to really work on one spot to bring it back to round. You can also go all the way down to the bottom of the cup with it too.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #1888
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
the reason why i like the wire brush is because its easy to get a round hole, and it takes off metal slowly, took me about 3 tries to get to 1.498''. Worked good for me and coster like 2 dollars.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #1889
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Meh... either way.

So are your's seriously in the dumpster but still sitting around? Or have they been picked up by the trash people already?

I'm asking because I want to see if those cups can be opened up for the bigger bearings that I wanted to run without any ill effects, or if it will make the cups too thin, and thus dangerous to do so.

If you still had those arms sitting around, I was gonna see about taking them off your hands for this purpose.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #1890
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
the reason why i like the wire brush is because its easy to get a round hole, and it takes off metal slowly, took me about 3 tries to get to 1.498''. Worked good for me and coster like 2 dollars.
Yep, it's slow material removal with the wire brush, that's how I did it. Gives a nice circular hole.